Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Why can’t I eat like everyone else
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 5:34 am
I’m about 35lbs overweight.
I can’t lose weight unless I eat about 1000 calories
If I eat 1200 I maintain
If I eat 1500 I gain weight

If I DONT eat low carb I’m super starving

If I eat low carb I still need to stay at about 1200 calories if not I gain weight

Is this normal

I just want to eat like a normal person

amother
Green

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 5:40 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If I eat 1200 I maintain

If I eat low carb I still need to stay at about 1200 calories if not I gain weight

Is this normal

35 lbs is not crazy over weight. I was 50 lbs overweight and lost weight from keeping up with gym , cuting off from junk food , eat with a limid if u need the carbs, U can loose very easily if u stick to routine. Work out every day atleast 30 minutes , eat every 3 hours protien and grain veggies, lots of water, and here u go. GIRL U can do it!!!

Sewsew_mom

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 5:41 am
You are normal. That's normal. Some people have crazy metabolism or really skinny genes those are not normal. Our bodies are not meant to eat the way we do these days.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 5:44 am
Good question
everyones metabolism is different
some people have a key to their weight loss
for example, some people are sugar resistant if they have any sugar at all the weight doesn't budge
sometimes working with a nutritionist who goes off blood tests to devise a plan can help
hatzlocha

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 6:28 am
MnM1130 wrote:
You are normal. That's normal. Some people have crazy metabolism or really skinny genes those are not normal. Our bodies are not meant to eat the way we do these days.

So it’s normal to stay at 1000- 1200 cal for the rest of my life, AND not touch an ounce of carb unless I want to be ravenously hungry?

Exercise is not helping - I do 50 min of pilates 5x a week.
I just get hungry
Tried a few nutritionist the one I was SLIGHTLY successful said that, FOR ME, I would have to be off carbs for the rest of my life.

zaq

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 6:30 am
You can eat more if you move more.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 6:33 am
zaq wrote:
You can eat more if you move more.

It’s not helping I only LOSE weight if I stay at about 1000calories
Besides living life I’m exercising 5x 55 min a week

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 6:36 am
PLUS- I finish eating before 6pm

Last edited by amother on Mon, Oct 28 2019, 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 6:37 am
What is your height and weight? Maybe you're pushing your body to be lower than it's set weight.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 6:39 am
You may want to look into intermittent fasting and see if that may work for you. I have not personally tried it (yet) but discussed it with my doctor as something to consider as I’m struggling to get off baby weight. It’s based on WHEN you eat, not so much as what you eat.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 7:06 am
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
What is your height and weight? Maybe you're pushing your body to be lower than it's set weight.

5’0 currently 155lbs.

My goal is to be 120, but I’d be happy to be a size 6/8 currently 12/14, since I understand that it’s not about how much you weigh, but it’s about measurement/inches.

BTW- I have arms so fat, that you would think I’m a size 20. Can only wear puff/wide sleeves or sleeveless with shell, or get a larger size clothes
I don’t know if this is indicative of a metabolic issue
Dr. say it’s just how I’m built
All blood tests come out 100% normal, normal, normal

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 7:13 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
You may want to look into intermittent fasting and see if that may work for you. I have not personally tried it (yet) but discussed it with my doctor as something to consider as I’m struggling to get off baby weight. It’s based on WHEN you eat, not so much as what you eat.

I try to eat from 8 am- 6 pm
I TRY to eat my 3 meals, not to snack in between
Snacking (5-6 small meals a day) just makes me hungry and I can’t stick to 1000-1200 calories.

The only time I got almost to goal weight I ate 800-1000 cal. and kept low carb and low fat
It took 9 months but it want sustainable

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 7:18 am
What is your BMI? Being slightly above normal BMI (say in the 25-27 range) is not unhealthy and has no greater risks than being normal BMI. Maybe you just need to learn to accept your healthy body.

cookies6

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 7:19 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:

No, it's not based on that at all. It's just an easier way for people to restrict their calories and have bigger meals than if they were to spread all their calories out over multiple meals. The premise of losing weight still remains the same - calories in vs. calories out.

Amarante

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 7:23 am
Short of actually having a metabolic test done to calculate your exact caloric burn during the day, you estimate how many calories you burn by multiplying body weight x 12 to 18 per pound. The higher number is for extremely active people so most moderately active people multiply by 15.

The percentage of your body fat versus muscle also impacts how much you burn since fat is metabolically inert versus muscle so a muscular body (all things being equal) will burn more calories than the equivalent weight person with a higher percentage of body fat.

That said most people do underestimate how many calories they actually eat because they don't actually measure their food. Weighing and measuring food is an EXTREMELY important thing to do when trying to lose weight because the actual portion of food is generally much smaller than most people think if they "eyeball" it. If you don't believe me measure out 2 tablespoons of whatever - or four ounces of rice or even protein. After you measure stuff for awhile you can eyeball it but you will find that most people start having "portion creep" and their eyeballed portions get bigger and bigger.

The reason that portion control is critical is that it really doesn't take many calories to be the difference for most women between losing, maintaining and gaining especially with certain types of food.

That said, the best way I have found personally is to concentrate my food intake on stuff that is less "calorically dense" and therefore I am satiated. There have been studies showing that people tend to eat the same VOLUME of food regardless of calories. Therefore you are going to be more satiated with a portion of fish or chicken versus the same number of calories in a calorically dense food like a cookie or something fried. And obviously vegetables are "free" since for their volume, they are extremely calorically low.

This doesn't mean that you resign yourself to plain grilled chicken breast and soggy lettuce leaves. I made (and make) it a point to find recipes that are flavorful but are not calorically dense. There are loads of recipes in which favorite recipes are redone to minimize calories for example. An obvious example would be marina sauce which can be made so that it is extremely flavorful yet not caloric. You can use cauliflower rice or spaghetti squash to stretch the "carb" portion of a meal. You can use cooking techniques that rely on herbs and other spices for flavor rather than fat or high caloric stuff.

amother
White

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 7:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If I eat 1200 I maintain

Is this normal

I just want to eat like a normal person

Yes, similar problem. I have a lot of resentment that I can’t just eat normally and not gain. I have a thyroid condition though also so it’s even more hard. Guess it’s just my challenge from G-d and we have to deal with it as best we can,

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 7:39 am
Amarante wrote:
Short of actually having a metabolic test done to calculate your exact caloric burn during the day, you estimate how many calories you burn by multiplying body weight x 12 to 18 per pound. The higher number is for extremely active people so most moderately active people multiply by 15.

The percentage of your body fat versus muscle also impacts how much you burn since fat is metabolically inert versus muscle so a muscular body (all things being equal) will burn more calories than the equivalent weight person with a higher percentage of body fat.

That said most people do underestimate how many calories they actually eat because they don't actually measure their food. Weighing and measuring food is an EXTREMELY important thing to do when trying to lose weight because the actual portion of food is generally much smaller than most people think if they "eyeball" it. If you don't believe me measure out 2 tablespoons of whatever - or four ounces of rice or even protein. After you measure stuff for awhile you can eyeball it but you will find that most people start having "portion creep" and their eyeballed portions get bigger and bigger.

The reason that portion control is critical is that it really doesn't take many calories to be the difference for most women between losing, maintaining and gaining especially with certain types of food.

That said, the best way I have found personally is to concentrate my food intake on stuff that is less "calorically dense" and therefore I am satiated. There have been studies showing that people tend to eat the same VOLUME of food regardless of calories. Therefore you are going to be more satiated with a portion of fish or chicken versus the same number of calories in a calorically dense food like a cookie or something fried. And obviously vegetables are "free" since for their volume, they are extremely calorically low.

This doesn't mean that you resign yourself to plain grilled chicken breast and soggy lettuce leaves. I made (and make) it a point to find recipes that are flavorful but are not calorically dense. There are loads of recipes in which favorite recipes are redone to minimize calories for example. An obvious example would be marina sauce which can be made so that it is extremely flavorful yet not caloric. You can use cauliflower rice or spaghetti squash to stretch the "carb" portion of a meal. You can use cooking techniques that rely on herbs and other spices for flavor rather than fat or high caloric stuff.

Can you help me put together a food plan

More or less I eat the same thing almost daily

Breakfast 8ish
Coffee and unsweetened almond milk
2 eggs
Lots of Cucumber or peppers or celery
Baggie filled

Lunch 12:30/1:00
Humungo salad (perhaps 16 oz of lettuce plus some sliced veg)
2 TBSP olive oil

Snack-
Decaf coffee with almond milk

Dinner 5:00ish
chicken/ground beef/protein
Another humungo salad with
2 TBSP olive oil
If I’m still hungry some cooked veg.

With this plan I don’t lose weight

I did start losing weight when the eggs were switched to egg whites, no protein the rest of the day except more egg whites , AND no oil on salad.
But it’s not sustainable and I was tired and hungry ALL day

Amarante

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 7:53 am
This is just suggestions based on how I lost weight and maintain weight. I am not a "saint" as I will go off and then gain weight because maintaining weight is hard. Realistically a woman just doesn't have that many calories to "play with".

I think you are using too many calories in the form of olive oil. Oils are about the most calorically dense foods you can eat and don't provide much satiation for the number of calories. Nutrionally you only need ONE tablespoon of "healthy fat" like olive oil in a day's diet. Each tablespoon of olive oil is 100 calories so you are "wasting" 300 calories right there. As I stated, there are lower calorie ways to spice up your veggies and also you have to be much stricter about actually measuring a calorically dense oil than other foods.

Protein is actually very satiating and so a mixture of lean protein, vegetables, controlled portion of complex carb; dairy of other calcium source and a small amount of healthy fat (e.g. one tablespoon) generally works.

Without pushing a particular food plan, many people have success with Weight Watchers as a way of learning how to distribute the amount of food they can eat to lose and maintain in a balanced manner without feeling as though they are going on an unrealistically restrictive "diet". You might want to attend a meeting or meetings to start you off and/or for longer term support. They also have an excellent on-line program but I think it helpful for people completely new to the system to do face to face if possible at least when they are starting out

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 7:56 am
Amarante wrote:
This is just suggestions based on how I lost weight and maintain weight. I am not a "saint" as I will go off and then gain weight because maintaining weight is hard. Realistically a woman just doesn't have that many calories to "play with".

I think you are using too many calories in the form of olive oil. Oils are about the most calorically dense foods you can eat and don't provide much satiation for the number of calories. Nutrionally you only need ONE tablespoon of "healthy fat" like olive oil in a day's diet. Each tablespoon of olive oil is 100 calories so you are "wasting" 300 calories right there. As I stated, there are lower calorie ways to spice up your veggies and also you have to be much stricter about actually measuring a calorically dense oil than other foods.

Protein is actually very satiating and so a mixture of lean protein, vegetables, controlled portion of complex carb; dairy of other calcium source and a small amount of healthy fat (e.g. one tablespoon) generally works.

Without pushing a particular food plan, many people have success with Weight Watchers as a way of learning how to distribute the amount of food they can eat to lose and maintain in a balanced manner without feeling as though they are going on an unrealistically restrictive "diet". You might want to attend a meeting or meetings to start you off and/or for longer term support. They also have an excellent on-line program but I think it helpful for people completely new to the system to do face to face if possible at least when they are starting out

I tried WW for 1 month and gained 5 lbs on the amount they told me to eat 😢

cookies6

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 8:06 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can you help me put together a food plan

More or less I eat the same thing almost daily

Breakfast 8ish
Coffee and unsweetened almond milk
2 eggs
Lots of Cucumber or peppers or celery
Baggie filled

Lunch 12:30/1:00
Humungo salad (perhaps 16 oz of lettuce plus some sliced veg)
2 TBSP olive oil

Snack-
Decaf coffee with almond milk

Dinner 5:00ish
chicken/ground beef/protein
Another humungo salad with
2 TBSP olive oil
If I’m still hungry some cooked veg.

With this plan I don’t lose weight

I did start losing weight when the eggs were switched to egg whites, no protein the rest of the day except more egg whites , AND no oil on salad.
But it’s not sustainable and I was tired and hungry ALL day

Why don't you change the amount of oil to 1 TBSP or even 1/2 and add a small amount of low fat protein?

Fat has a lot more calories than protein or grains. Fat does help you to feel full but protein will help with that as well.

Also, as mentioned above, do you weigh your food? If not, you may be eating more calories than you think you are.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise