Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Very detailed question about Zmanim

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 9:24 pm
Hello you clever ladies.

So I think I understand how halachic times work.

My question is-

Which communities hold by which opinion about zmanim? IOW who goes by the Gr'A, who goes by the Magen Avraham? Who decides sunset at sea level and who decides adjusted to elevation?

Any information greatly appreciated.

bobeli

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 1:34 am
As far as I know is individually decided by each rov. Or rebbe, lor, etc for each shitta and location.
Sometimes there are compromises or minhag hamakom like in Yerushalaim they great shabes extra early, or in nyc there is one time to start shabes even for the ppl that keep r”t, but everyone holds different for motzi shabes.
There are also different uses for halachic times so it depends on what it is , it’s how it’s decided and sometimes there are ways to try to satisfy all approaches.
I think is easier to understand the halachic time than where they hold what and why

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 1:38 am
There are a lot of Jewish communities in the world. It's not the case that all chassidim do one thing and all misnagdim do another. Sefardim also follow different opinions.

When one of my sons was in the army (here in Israel) they finished a night exercise and the new commander told them that they could sleep until it was time to daven - "and our unit holds according to the Magen Avrohom!"

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 9:59 am
Great question OP.

We were just recently talking about this in my family. My father is B"AH a computer and math genius who made zmanim his project in life. About 40 years ago or so he developed the first computerized zmanim charts. He developed a program where he puts in latitude and longitude and generates zmanim for all over the world. Many of the zmanim charts people have today, from many organizations and shuls, got their zmanim from him.

I remember growing up, people would call my father for zmanim for all over the world. Whether they traveled for business or other reasons....he also created special calendars for some places, with the second a vasikin minyan could start davening SH"E in the morning.

My father asked R' Yaakov Kaminetsky Z"L which formulas to use, and which times to use, whenever there was a question.

I've never been very into it, personally...but I think he said, that he computes sunset when the sun reaches the horizon, or something like that....not when it goes all the way down. (but don't want to be quoted if I'm wrong.)

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 11:39 am
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
Great question OP.

We were just recently talking about this in my family. My father is B"AH a computer and math genius who made zmanim his project in life. About 40 years ago or so he developed the first computerized zmanim charts. He developed a program where he puts in latitude and longitude and generates zmanim for all over the world. Many of the zmanim charts people have today, from many organizations and shuls, got their zmanim from him.

I remember growing up, people would call my father for zmanim for all over the world. Whether they traveled for business or other reasons....he also created special calendars for some places, with the second a vasikin minyan could start davening SH"E in the morning.

My father asked R' Yaakov Kaminetsky Z"L which formulas to use, and which times to use, whenever there was a question.

I've never been very into it, personally...but I think he said, that he computes sunset when the sun reaches the horizon, or something like that....not when it goes all the way down. (but don't want to be quoted if I'm wrong.)

Wow. I'll bet our fathers knew each other.
You can call Rabbi Dovid Heber, I think he's accessible. I also heard that there's an English language book on zemanim that came out.

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 11:49 am
There's a zmanim hotline that gives you a lot of information. You may find it helpful as there are different options for different locations.
718-331-8463

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 1:50 pm
Wow purple what an interesting story.

Regarding the hotline-is it a recorded message,,?

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 1:58 pm
There's lots of info here: https://www.chabad.org/library.....s.htm
https://www.chabad.org/calenda.....s.htm

I don't think any of this answers your original questions, though.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 1:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wow purple what an interesting story.

Regarding the hotline-is it a recorded message,,?

yes, and then you press different buttons for the different options. g'luck

mum22

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 4:36 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
Great question OP.

This is interesting
Are you from Antwerp?

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 11:34 am
mum22 wrote:
This is interesting
Are you from Antwerp?

No I am not.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions