Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Uncomfortable work environment...not sure what to do

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 10:54 am
I actually work completely remotely. I never see my coworkers. But the few interactions I've had with supervisors have been mostly critical, both in training and later in work. They would also point out one or two good points of my work, but still overwhelmingly critical. I'm really fine if they don't feel I get the job done (not every job is for every person) but they don't say that, they just would criticize the work.

They have restructured the job (for everyone, not just me) to the point I have almost no interaction with anyone, and they strongly discourage interaction, so I just do my job, and it's been ok. (I'm there a little over a year now). But it's definitely taken a toll on my job satisfaction. I basically feel they would like me to leave, but don't want to fire me (maybe due to benefits, I don't know).

Any thoughts on this? I feel like I should quit and do something like content writing online. It couldn't be much worse than this for the atmosphere. (I did write in the past, but didn't have many connections so didn't pursue it). The job part is really fine, its just the atmosphere. Anyone deal with this? Or have advice?

(as for the need for the job, it's not that I absolutely have to stay, I could look around for other things, but working from home, with decent vacation and benefits is hard to give up)

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 11:01 am
I get the sense you are creating a narrative for yourself about what is going on - and then are frustrated by that narrative.

Is there someone else you can talk to during the day, not from work?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 11:55 am
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
I get the sense you are creating a narrative for yourself about what is going on - and then are frustrated by that narrative.

Is there someone else you can talk to during the day, not from work?

I can see how it looks like that, and am concerned about it since it's a pretty good job for the time/money/convienience, but in discussions with some coworkers, past and present most I've spoken to (maybe 4-6) feel the same.

I just generally try to stay away from toxic environments. I thought being remote, I could manage it but I get such strange responses I don't like working with supervisors. Even though, I am sure everyone is nice and trying to do the best for everyone, in practice it doesn't come out.

I mostly hear that as workers we shouldn't talk to each other, or ask questions of each other since it will waste time, and have been told a few times I'm too slow. (I know other coworkers who felt they were viewed similarly.) As I mentioned before, if they don't think I should do the job, I can take that, but they don't say that.

Just not sure how to handle the job. Also, it is part time, a couple days I have a break during the day, and usually it ends before kids get home, so I do talk with others during the day, but that doesn't really change the job.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 12:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I can see how it looks like that, and am concerned about it since it's a pretty good job for the time/money/convienience, but in discussions with some coworkers, past and present most I've spoken to (maybe 4-6) feel the same.

I just generally try to stay away from toxic environments. I thought being remote, I could manage it but I get such strange responses I don't like working with supervisors. Even though, I am sure everyone is nice and trying to do the best for everyone, in practice it doesn't come out.

I mostly hear that as workers we shouldn't talk to each other, or ask questions of each other since it will waste time, and have been told a few times I'm too slow. (I know other coworkers who felt they were viewed similarly.) As I mentioned before, if they don't think I should do the job, I can take that, but they don't say that.

Just not sure how to handle the job. Also, it is part time, a couple days I have a break during the day, and usually it ends before kids get home, so I do talk with others during the day, but that doesn't really change the job.

I don't think everyone is nice and trying to do the best for everyone. I think the supervisors only care about getting a good product from you, in a short period of time. You don't have a work environment - you work on a remote factory line.

personally I would reframe everything and push through. If they want to fire you - they will fire you.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 1:04 pm
I don't think everyone is nice and trying to do the best for everyone. I think the supervisors only care about getting a good product from you, in a short period of time. You don't have a work environment - you work on a remote factory line.

personally I would reframe everything and push through. If they want to fire you - they will fire you.

Can you suggest ideas for reframing? Everyone trying to do their best to be supportive is all I could come up with. Banging head

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 1:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can you suggest ideas for reframing? Everyone trying to do their best to be supportive is all I could come up with. Banging head

The reframe is: This is a job that I have to earn money for my family. I'm not doing it to seek validation - I can seek that out from other parts of my life.

Its a great job because I have no commute, I can listen to music while I work, I talk to friends while I work... I can get up and eat chocolate to reward myself for pushing though a deadline.

When I get critical feedback - its because my supervisors need to communicate to me that that my deliverable requires improvement - so I will just read it unemotionally, make the corrections, and go on with it. Their time is limited as is mine - they don't have time to write encouraging emails, or send thank-yous.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 2:38 pm
The reframe is: This is a job that I have to earn money for my family. I'm not doing it to seek validation - I can seek that out from other parts of my life.

Its a great job because I have no commute, I can listen to music while I work, I talk to friends while I work... I can get up and eat chocolate to reward myself for pushing though a deadline.

When I get critical feedback - its because my supervisors need to communicate to me that that my deliverable requires improvement - so I will just read it unemotionally, make the corrections, and go on with it. Their time is limited as is mine - they don't have time to write encouraging emails, or send thank-yous.

this is great. I'm going to print it up and put it above my computer! Thanks for the ideas. I'll have to try to find you for other areas I need reframing help. Sunny

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 2:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
this is great. I'm going to print it up and put it above my computer! Thanks for the ideas. I'll have to try to find you for other areas I need reframing help. Sunny

I get my validation from Ima Smile Thank-you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics