Home

Modern ortho school for girls in brooklyn.
1, 2, 3  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


granty




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Oct 29 2019, 11:06 am
As the title says, I'm looking for an elementary school in Brooklyn for my girls that would be a good fit. We are modern orthodox-- I wear a sheital, am fully tznius, but we have a tv in the house. My girls are currently in a sefardi school, but we're ashkenazi so it's not a great fit. (They get teased for saying Shabbos instead of shabbat.)

Any suggestions for where we can try next? Lev bais yaakov didnt work out so that's out.

Tia for your help!
Back to top

amother




Seagreen


Post  Tue, Oct 29 2019, 11:23 am
Yeshiva of Flatbush, shulamith
Back to top

granty




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Oct 29 2019, 11:24 am
Yeshiva of flatbush is actually too modern for us. (Not interested in a coed environment.) Will look into shulamith!
Back to top

bookie




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Oct 29 2019, 11:25 am
Prospect park?
Back to top

amother




Cerulean


Post  Tue, Oct 29 2019, 11:25 am
Prospect?
Back to top

amother




Cyan


Post  Tue, Oct 29 2019, 11:27 am
Omg is prospect considered MO these days??

Other than having a tv what makes you MO?

Shulamith would be a good
Back to top

granty




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Oct 29 2019, 11:35 am
My oldest was at prospect but they wouldn't accept my youngest. Which was frustrating, so instead of having 2 girls in 2 diff schools I took them out of there.

Other than the tv thing, I can't think of what else makes us MO. We are super strictly kosher and tznius. The girls dont even wear sandals without socks.
Back to top

thunderstorm




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Oct 29 2019, 11:37 am
granty wrote:
Yeshiva of flatbush is actually too modern for us. (Not interested in a coed environment.) Will look into shulamith!

Just so you are aware the girls learn in Shulamit with a “taf” instead of a “saf”. The girls say Shabbat. That’s how they learn. But they are Ashkenaz. They are very pro Israel focused.

Also note that many girls and mothers wear pants/leggings in the street out of school and mothers don’t cover their hair. Not sure if you care.
Back to top

amother




Seagreen


Post  Tue, Oct 29 2019, 12:22 pm
lev Bais yaakov is also a good choice
Back to top

amother




Mistyrose


Post  Tue, Oct 29 2019, 12:25 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
lev Bais yaakov is also a good choice

I doubt they would accept someone who is open to owning a TV.
Back to top

amother




Seagreen


Post  Tue, Oct 29 2019, 12:27 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
I doubt they would accept someone who is open to owning a TV.

I know ppl who send that have tvs
Back to top

amother




Mistyrose


Post  Tue, Oct 29 2019, 12:32 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
I know ppl who send that have tvs

They are open about it on the application?
The OP did say she applied there and it didn’t work out, so I’m assuming owning a TV was the reason why she was rejected.
Back to top

granty




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Oct 29 2019, 12:32 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Just so you are aware the girls learn in Shulamit with a “taf” instead of a “saf”. The girls say Shabbat. That’s how they learn. But they are Ashkenaz. They are very pro Israel focused.

Also note that many girls and mothers wear pants/leggings in the street out of school and mothers don’t cover their hair. Not sure if you care.


That's fine by me. I put my girls in the sefardi school thinking it wouldn't be such a culture shock but the other girls talk behind their backs in Arabic and it's just so much more different than I was expecting.
Back to top

princessleah




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Oct 29 2019, 12:39 pm
Why all this hyperfocus on dress?
You are MO if you believe in the importance of a secular education in addition to a Torah education, and you believe one can integrate the modern world into your yiddishkeit without harm. If you would like your daughters to go on to advanced degrees. To some extent, if you believe the state of Israel is reishit zemichat geulateinu.
I would agree Shulamith, but I've also heard that it has veered more towards the right lately.
Back to top

amother




Seagreen


Post  Tue, Oct 29 2019, 12:56 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
They are open about it on the application?
The OP did say she applied there and it didn’t work out, so I’m assuming owning a TV was the reason why she was rejected.

O right.. see now didn’t realize she included that in her post TMI
Back to top

Sebastian




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Oct 29 2019, 1:03 pm
If the TV is the only thing that's is making the schools not take you, why not get rid of it?
Back to top

sequoia




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Oct 29 2019, 1:11 pm
Who has a tv these days? Elderly people addicted to the 10 o’clock news.

Watch what you want on your phone/tablet/computer — between Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime there’s basically everything — and get rid of the tv.
Back to top

amother




Wine


Post  Wed, Oct 30 2019, 9:34 am
sequoia wrote:
Who has a tv these days? Elderly people addicted to the 10 o’clock news.

Although you have an apt point, the latter part of your sentence is a bit condescending to elderly people.
Back to top

amother




Hotpink


Post  Wed, Oct 30 2019, 9:58 am
Who gave you the title MO?
Back to top

cbsp




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Oct 30 2019, 10:03 am
granty wrote:
My oldest was at prospect but they wouldn't accept my youngest. Which was frustrating, so instead of having 2 girls in 2 diff schools I took them out of there.



Did they tell you why?
Back to top
1, 2, 3  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 3 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Girls coat Boro Park 4 Today at 4:58 am View last post
Girls in out of town schools 2 Today at 2:11 am View last post
The cheder vs ohr shraga - brooklyn ny
by amother
2 Yesterday at 10:27 pm View last post
Dr. Schulman’s office Sunday schedule - Brooklyn, NY
by amother
4 Yesterday at 9:53 pm View last post
Does anyone live in Lakewood and send their girls elsewhere?
by amother
18 Thu, Dec 05 2019, 8:40 pm View last post

Jump to: