Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Modern ortho school for girls in brooklyn.
Previous  1  2  3  Next

granty

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 10:18 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
Who gave you the title MO?

I gave it to myself. Is there another title I should consider?

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 12:03 pm
granty wrote:

You sound RWMO.

From what you describe, I think your daughters would be happy at Bruriah in Elizabeth, NJ. I have no idea if transporting them to NJ is feasible.

simcha2

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 12:24 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
You sound RWMO.

From what you describe, I think your daughters would be happy at Bruriah in Elizabeth, NJ. I have no idea if transporting them to NJ is feasible.

Bruriah is high school (and a middle school). Their elementary is jec.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 12:27 pm
simcha2 wrote:
Bruriah is high school (and a middle school). Their elementary is jec.

Yes, you're correct. Thanks.

Also, I don't know whether JEC and Bruriah do "taf" or "saf".

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 12:50 pm
Looks like TV is the only thing that "qualifies" you as MO. And taking into account that your oldest was in Prospect (how come they didn't accept the younger one? Anything to do with your family hashkafah?)
The best bet is probably Shulamis, but if I were you, I'd either get rid of tv or lie about it (yeah, bring the rotten tomatoes on! School is so much more that one stupid tv thing) and apply to BY d'rav meir, Masores. Prospect and Lev would be great fits hashkafically, but they're out.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 12:53 pm
granty wrote:

There are plenty of "yeshivish lite" who fit your description (in Flatbush and marine park).
MO is a big range - from what you describe to short sleeves/not covered legs/partially or not covered hair

chestnut

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 12:55 pm
There's also a school in staten island, but it's a shlep (might be coed for English, not sure)

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 1:06 pm
I don’t know if you’re willing to reveal details, but disclosing why Lev, Prospect schools wouldn’t accept your daughters would help us posters gain some insight as to where you would fit in.

It’s very possible that if you got rid of the TV, you would have an easier time getting into a HS that is appropriate for your kids.

granty

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 3:58 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
You sound RWMO.

What's rwmo stand for?

sequoia

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 4:00 pm
granty wrote:
What's rwmo stand for?

Right-wing modern orthodox.

To me you sound JPF.

granty

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 4:18 pm
sequoia wrote:
Right-wing modern orthodox.

To me you sound JPF.

Lol what is jpf?
I'm very behind on the abbreviations!

cbsp

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 4:19 pm
granty wrote:
Lol what is jpf?
I'm very behind on the abbreviations!

Just Plain Frum.

Join the club. Hi

granty

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 4:25 pm
cbsp wrote:
Just Plain Frum.

Join the club. Hi

I'll take it!

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 6:30 pm
You dont sound modern to me at all! I'm surprised to hear that prospect didnt accept your younger daughter. Did they tell you why she wasn't accepted? Lev sounds like a good idea. Maybe reapply and tell them you got rid of your t.v. or maybe just get rid of it . Good luck !

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 7:52 pm
I don’t consider myself MO and I have a tv. My kids don’t even watch on , my boys only watch sports !
The “yeshivish “ ppl watch plenty but not on their TVs bec TVs aren’t kosher Rolling Eyes

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 9:29 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
I don’t consider myself MO and I have a tv. My kids don’t even watch on , my boys only watch sports !
The “yeshivish “ ppl watch plenty but not on their TVs bec TVs aren’t kosher Rolling Eyes

Is there a reason why you felt the need to bash yeshivish people ? Does it make you feel better about your tv? Sheesh.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 11:31 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
Is there a reason why you felt the need to bash yeshivish people ? Does it make you feel better about your tv? Sheesh.

Wow , I was simply saying that yeshivish ppl watch too but they’ll go around boasting that they don’t have a tv , that’s all

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 11:50 pm
princessleah wrote:
Why all this hyperfocus on dress?
You are MO if you believe in the importance of a secular education in addition to a Torah education, and you believe one can integrate the modern world into your yiddishkeit without harm. If you would like your daughters to go on to advanced degrees. To some extent, if you believe the state of Israel is reishit zemichat geulateinu.
I would agree Shulamith, but I've also heard that it has veered more towards the right lately.

Thank you for your intelligent post!
Liking it was not enough.

I am so tired of people defining MO in so many negative ways.
It is about Torah U'Maddah, living integrated in the world, being an Or Lagoyim, believing in and support the State of Israel.....

Thank you.

cbsp

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 11:00 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Wow , I was simply saying that yeshivish ppl watch too but they’ll go around boasting that they don’t have a tv , that’s all

So you were "simply" being over on lashon harah or motzi shem ra (and wondering why you were being called out on it)?

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 11:12 am
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:

She didn't say all yeshivish people do. She was just explaining why having a Tv doesn't really make a person MO. I don't see a need to feel insulted...

Also, dress is a huge part of it, like it or not. I believe in Torah Umadah, in the State of Israel, in being an Ohr Lagoyim... but I am not MO. Maybe maybe maybe someone could stretch and say I am modern machmir but I identify more with mainstream American yeshiva lifestyle (not yeshivish- yeshiva). Like yeshivas such as Ner Israel in Baltimore.
So I do think dress plays a role. (I dress in a more chareidi way.)
Unless maybe I was wrong about myself all along, and I am indeed MO...
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics