Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
ISO chicken with barley in the oven?

ynms

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 11:38 am
Looking for a tasty chicken and barley recipe in the oven. Thanks!

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 11:46 am
PM Amarante.

She has a delicious recipe she shared with me. I doubled the spices and used chicken bottoms. I also am very generous with the barley It's a hit every time I serve it.

Raisin

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 12:22 pm
theres a recipe like that in one of the susie fishbein books.

bsy

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 12:22 pm
Following!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 4:06 pm
Make it like you would brown rice & chicken in one pan. Same timing. Add mushrooms.

Amarante

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 4:55 pm
LOL No need to PM. I saw barley and immediately thought of this recipe. Glad you (Squishy) are still enjoying it.

This is cooked on the stove but since it is braised it could no doubt be cooked in the oven if for some reason you wanted to. It does need to be started on the stove to sear and saute the ingredients.

I use boneless skinless chicken thighs as I find that dark meat stands up to braising well but I don't want all the extra fat and it is easier to cut out any residual fat from the boneless thighs

Smothered Chicken and Barley

1 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon dried mint flakes
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
6 (4-ounce) chicken thighs — skinned
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
3 1/2 cups low-salt chicken broth
1 1/4 cups uncooked pearl barley, rinsed and drained
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes — drained
6 tablespoons chopped green onions
Combine the first 7 ingredients in a small bowl, and rub chicken with half of spice mixture.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 1 minute on each side or until chicken is browned. Remove the chicken from the skillet.

Recoat skillet with cooking spray; add chopped onion, bell pepper, and soy sauce. Cook over medium-high heat 3 minutes or until vegetables are lightly browned. Add broth, barley, tomatoes, and remaining spice mixture, and stir well. Add chicken to skillet, nestling into vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 55 minutes or until chicken is done. Let stand 15 minutes. Sprinkle with green onions.

Source: Cooking Light, January/February 1998, p.102

ynms

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 6:36 pm
Thanks so much!

ynms

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 6:37 pm
[quote="ra_mom"]Make it like you would brown rice & chicken in one pan. Same timing. Add mushrooms.[/quote

Do you use fresh and canned?

imanonymous

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 6:39 pm
Amarante wrote:
LOL No need to PM. I saw barley and immediately thought of this recipe. Glad you (Squishy) are still enjoying it.

This is cooked on the stove but since it is braised it could no doubt be cooked in the oven if for some reason you wanted to. It does need to be started on the stove to sear and saute the ingredients.

I use boneless skinless chicken thighs as I find that dark meat stands up to braising well but I don't want all the extra fat and it is easier to cut out any residual fat from the boneless thighs

1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
Combine the first 7 ingredients in a small bowl, and rub chicken with half of spice mixture.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 1 minute on each side or until chicken is browned. Remove the chicken from the skillet.

Recoat skillet with cooking spray; add chopped onion, bell pepper, and soy sauce. Cook over medium-high heat 3 minutes or until vegetables are lightly browned. Add broth, barley, tomatoes, and remaining spice mixture, and stir well. Add chicken to skillet, nestling into vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 55 minutes or until chicken is done. Let stand 15 minutes. Sprinkle with green onions.

While this sounds delicious, it's too many instructions and ingredients for me. I want to dump in a pan and bake. Any other recommendations?

bsy

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 6:41 pm
imanonymous wrote:
While this sounds delicious, it's too many instructions and ingredients for me. I want to dump in a pan and bake. Any other recommendations?

I do that. Same as with rice. Put in pan with spices and water, add chicken, spice, cover and bake

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 7:50 pm
imanonymous wrote:

The spice combo is amazing. I have doubled the spices and rubbed half on thighs with skin on. Added barley and chicken broth with the other half. I did brown the chicken first and then added the barley to the skillet. I skipped the vegetables.

It's love at first bite.

No reason you couldn't do a dump. I don't reach the skin anyway, but DH likes the skin crisped.

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 7:54 pm
Amarante wrote:

1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onion

Thanks. I am making this tomorrow. I am already anticipating it.

I didn't want to post it without your approval which is why I suggested a pm.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 7:54 pm
ynms wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
Make it like you would brown rice & chicken in one pan. Same timing. Add mushrooms.

Do you use fresh and canned?

Canned for an oven bake. With fresh garlic.

Amarante

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 9:32 pm
Squishy wrote:
Thanks. I am making this tomorrow. I am already anticipating it.

I didn't want to post it without your approval which is why I suggested a pm.

While I appreciate your reticence, feel free to spread and use my recipes and send them out to the universe if need be. This one was originally made by me because it was recommended by a friend who had clipped I from Cooking Light Magazine.

I was curious about your leaving out the vegetables? Do you not put in the onion and red pepper? I don't think of them as being vegetables but as being part of the aromatics which add to the flavors and the canned tomatoes is part of the liquid to some extent.

I don't believe recipes (except for baked goods which are essentially chemistry) are sacred texts but curious as to why you made those decisions.

ynms

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 9:42 pm
[quote="ra_mom"]Canned for an oven bake. With fresh garlic.[/quot

Whole garlic cloves? Thanks

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 9:51 pm
ynms wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
Canned for an oven bake. With fresh garlic.

Whole garlic cloves? Thanks

Crushed, for the barley.

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Oct 30 2019, 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 11:23 pm
Amarante wrote:
While I appreciate your reticence, feel free to spread and use my recipes and send them out to the universe if need be. This one was originally made by me because it was recommended by a friend who had clipped I from Cooking Light Magazine.

I was curious about your leaving out the vegetables? Do you not put in the onion and red pepper? I don't think of them as being vegetables but as being part of the aromatics which add to the flavors and the canned tomatoes is part of the liquid to some extent.

I don't believe recipes (except for baked goods which are essentially chemistry) are sacred texts but curious as to why you made those decisions.

I prepared it that way to appeal to DH. He loves it! He's a bit particular. The finished recipe looks a bit like chicken and rice cooked together except it's barley.

I didn't do it in one skillet to save time and prep. I like to fuss in my kitchen. But if it looks too different, DH won't eat it.

I mentioned to him tonight that I was thinking of making this tomorrow. He approves.

As long as you don't mind sharing, you should post your vegetable broth recipe.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics