Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Have you ever run out of gas or gotten really close?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 4:45 pm
At home in NY it's really easy to fill up whenever you need gas, and even if you forget and start running low, there are usually gas stations very nearby, so I've never had the issue. But when we're traveling and always on the go and unfamiliar with the area, and exits on the highway can be far apart, we've definitely gotten too close for comfort. There have been times in the hot summer that DH has turned off the A/C and opened the windows until we get to a gas station.

B"H we've never actually run out, but we've been anxious. Just wondering if anyone else has any experiences or tips learning related to running out of gas, whether at home or on the road.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 4:53 pm
Yes, I’ve run out of gas multiple times. Make sure you have AAA and time to spare. Try to fill up when you reach half a tank. It’s stressful but not the end of the world.

At night, be aware that many gas stations are not 24 hours and don’t let it go below a quarter tank. And don’t get off on exits unless you can see that the gas station is right there! The worst is needing to drive another 10 minutes in little roads on an empty tank hoping the gas station still exists...

Most cars will drive at least 10-15 minutes on empty.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 4:55 pm
just fill up when you hit a quarter tank! stressful even just reading about this!

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 4:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
At home in NY it's really easy to fill up whenever you need gas, and even if you forget and start running low, there are usually gas stations very nearby, so I've never had the issue. But when we're traveling and always on the go and unfamiliar with the area, and exits on the highway can be far apart, we've definitely gotten too close for comfort. There have been times in the hot summer that DH has turned off the A/C and opened the windows until we get to a gas station.

B"H we've never actually run out, but we've been anxious. Just wondering if anyone else has any experiences or tips learning related to running out of gas, whether at home or on the road.

fill-up when you see a gas station (or signs for one) when tank is half empty.

perquacky

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 5:06 pm
Yes, on the PA Turnpike. The car we rented had a broken gas gauge. We called AAA.
Ah, memories...

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 5:06 pm
I have twice rolled into the gas station on fumes. I once actually broke down from being totally empty. It’s an awful feeling.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 5:25 pm
Short of gas?

Eat cholent.

groisamomma

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 5:28 pm
A couple of times. Once at Shoprite with all my kids in the car, once on the Garden State Parkway, and once right in front of my house. I was idling with the AC on (probably on imamother) for more than an hour in a rental car.

I hardly ever fill up before the gas light goes on.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 8:17 pm
We had it on a long trip at 2 a.m. We were down to an almost empty tank with the nearest gas station approx 15 minutes away. We called chaveirim and they told us to take the risk of trying to get there.. We made it by the skin of our teeth and we certainly learnt our lesson.

Kiwi13

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 9:14 pm
Yes, while out with friends in college. The driver called her father who went out to a gas station, filled up a portable tank and brought it to us to fill the car. Not the best situation but definitely not the worst either. Granted, we were local (not traveling through the middle of nowhere).

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 9:59 pm
It happened to me once. I get gas points at the supermarket I shop at so I let it get as low as possible so I can use the maximum points. Well, I once ran out of gas right in the driveway of the gas station! They were right there and helped me bring a gas can to the car. On the way home though my transmission blew and needed major repairs. I'll never know if running the car on empty had anything to do with it.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 11:10 pm
Ummm
My mother used to run out like all the time. She hated filling up. I used to keep a gas tank in my car to get gas for her.
Dh has run out a few times. Last time a few weeks ago. I got him gas
Ironically they usually run out right near a gas station and both has gas stations next door to their offices.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 11:50 pm
Too many times
Once in summer we were in waretown nj 10 miles from nearest gas and stalled in 100 degree weather

Ever since then I say fill up let's not have a waretown

yo'ma

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 8:48 am
This was over 25 years ago, so no cell phones. My sister, me, and someone else went touring the west coast. Before we went, we got a triptik (remember those?) from AAA. When they gave it to us, they said not to go on a certain road when it's dark. Of course, while driving on a very, very dark road with no other cars in sight and of course no lights, we realized that that was the road we were warned about. Anyway, the tank was pretty low and we had no idea what was at the end. By the time we got to the end of the road, there was a gas station which was closed. We were afraid to drive further because it was late and didn't want to get stuck because we had no idea how close another gas station or hotel was. We ended up sleeping in the car. The next morning, we drove further and only about 10 minutes away was another gas station and motel. Can't Believe It

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 10:15 am
I was in a car with my brothers on way to my father's tzion on his yahrtzeit, in freezing cold weather.

My bro was driving. This was way before GPS & he had a tendency to always veer off the path & get lost, plus he was a wise guy, & doing a test, to see how long he can run on empty?! 🤔😣.

Guess what? we stalled in middle of nowheresville, in freezing weather, and waited over an hour for a chaverim member to locate us & bring us a bottle of gas....

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 10:21 am
Yes. While waiting to turn into the gas station Can't Believe It
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics