Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How old do your kids have to be to cross the street alone?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 5:09 pm
We've been going through this issue with our DS who's now 11 and in 6th grade. DH grew up in suburbia where traffic volume is much less and drivers are much more courteous. We now live in the heart of Flatbush, and he's always worried about DS crossing streets, especially when you hear tragic stories in the news every few months. DS is really small for his age and could be hard for cars to see, and while he's very bright, he also spaces out from time to time. Meanwhile DS complains that his friends' parents are much more lenient than we are.

At this point DS can cross one-way streets and avenues at the intersection when he has the light, but we don't let him cross major streets like Ocean Parkway, Coney Island, etc. He says that most of his friends in his class get to walk/bike to and from school, and resents that he has to take the bus since getting from our house to his school would involve crossing more than 1 major street.

For those of you who live in Brooklyn, I'm curious at what age you let your kids cross 1-way streets, 2-way avenues, and major thoroughfares on foot, on bike, alone, with friends, etc. Feel free to include their gender if you have different ages for boys and girls.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 6:16 pm
I let my boys cross coney and ocean parkway, at the light only, by age 11

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 6:55 pm
I try to impart how important it is to only cross when it's your light, etc etc.
Age 7/8 around 3rd,4th grade to cross one ways. Once I see them doing that responsibly by 5th or 6th grade they can cross whenever they need to, esp if they want to walk to school. My mom made us walk with friends the first year we walked, I'm not sure what the calculation was.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 7:11 pm
It really depends on the kid, the location, etc.

Instead of harping on DD about how she had to pay attention, I pointed out to her every time a driver was not paying attention. Someone is on a cell phone, or drinking coffee, or turning without stopping at a 4-way, etc.

I told her "I trust you, but I don't trust any of them, and they can squish you like a bug. Watch out for what the cars around you are doing, make sure they are stopped all the way" etc.

DD is also very short, and I worried that cars would not be able to see her. The biggest rule was that there always had to be a stop light, and if there wasn't, to make sure that drivers at a 4-way were paying attention.

Marathon

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 7:28 pm
A few years ago they did a study a found that before age 14 kids are not perceptive enough to cross a two way street/avenue

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 8:06 pm
We live on the " wrong" side of ocean parkway, so this is something on my mind a lot. My 11 year old crosses Ocean Parkway only on Parkville ave, which is a one way street. My spacy 12 year old was crossing Ocean Parkway in the summer by herself, but only after she went with my older daughter a few times.
I would walk with a kid a few times showing him where to pay attention before letting go on his own.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 8:20 pm
Please don't feel pressured based on what your kid is saying. Those avenues that you are talking about are dangerous.
As ff was saying don't focus on your childs lack of focus or size. It those CRAZY drivers you have to be worried about.

There is no way to teach them, so you as the parent have to protect your child.

Reality

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 8:28 pm
I don't let my son walk home from school alone. There is safety in numbers. If he is by himself he has to to take the school bus home.

happy12

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 8:58 pm
Depends on the child.
My absentminded professor child still went home on bus in 6 grade even though school is a 10 minute walk because I was worried about him crossing Ocean Parkway in the dark.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 4:57 am
Marathon wrote:
A few years ago they did a study a found that before age 14 kids are not perceptive enough to cross a two way street/avenue

what? by that time most kids go alone
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics