Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
London wedding protocol

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 12:28 am
We live in the u.s and dd is attending a wedding in London. The wedding is in two parts, which I know is usual, and I assume she will wear regular chasuna clothes to the evening dinner. But what is worn to the chupa and day reception. I am anxious for her to look really good and feel appropriate.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 2:17 am
Shabbos outfit.

jewwoman

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 3:50 am
Shabbos clothes are worn but if shes popping in and out she can wear a shabbos coat.

s c

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 4:39 am
Shabbos clothes

Ruchel

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 4:54 am
She won't be the center of attention, why worry

amother
Black

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 6:33 am
It might help if you specify which part of London as it might differ.

Often all close friends and family wear their elegant wedding wear for both. Meaning, they don't change between the chupa and dinner.

Raisin

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 6:35 am
For weddings I have travelled in for, and my siblings weddings, I have definitely worn the same dress for both.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 6:43 am
I've been to three weddings in London, cousin and siblings. None of the American guests changed. I wore the same dress/ gown for both parts.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 6:55 am
Where in London? Its a big place!

For Golders Green / Hendon if its an early chuppah usually guests wear shabbos clothes not long evening wear or as someone mentioned above some just wear a shabbos coat and smart shoes.

If shes a relative or very close friend then long eveningwear might also be appropriate if thats what the family are wearing for the photos.

Also bear in mind USA weddings seem to be a lot fancier than UK weddings especially clothing.

Yummymummy3

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 6:55 am
Most people nowadays don't change in between. Wear the same for both parts.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 7:37 am
Def almost no people coming from out of town will be changing. Most close family and friends will wear the same (often long) gown for both.
It does depend a lot where the wedding is.
I also don't think most people are that bothered or will notice. People can come straight from work for the chuppa and be wearing work clothes. Children can come straight from school in school uniform-if it's in town, tho.
Some of the halls are more out of the centre and people will usually just wear one thing and often it's essentially a follow on, because it's too far for people to come and go.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 7:54 am
If the wedding is in golders green, I don't think anyone ever wears a long gown for the chuppa (when it's earlier on in a separate hall rather than just before the dinner), unless a close family member (as in sibling or parent of the chassan or kallah) and even then usually they only wear it in the evening.

I wonder which circles the previous posters are from because I've never seen friends or cousins wearing long gowns to a separate chuppa. Obviously if it's a follow-on then it's different.

Raisin

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 7:59 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
If the wedding is in golders green, I don't think anyone ever wears a long gown for the chuppa (when it's earlier on in a separate hall rather than just before the dinner), unless a close family member (as in sibling or parent of the chassan or kallah) and even then usually they only wear it in the evening.

I wonder which circles the previous posters are from because I've never seen friends or cousins wearing long gowns to a separate chuppa. Obviously if it's a follow-on then it's different.

to be fair the gg weddings I have been to have not been typical RW weddings. Usually one side is from out of town and a less frum crowd, even if the other side is gg frum. Mostly they have been chuppah and dinner in same place also, although with a long break.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 9:09 am
jewwoman wrote:
Shabbos clothes are worn but if shes popping in and out she can wear a shabbos coat.

She is flying in for the wedding so no popping will be involved.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 9:13 am
The wedding is in two different places with a very long break in between. We were told by the chosson''s family that everyone will be changing and she needs two outfits.

My question was what the first one (chupa/day reception) should be.

s c

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 9:15 am
If in golders green dont wear long for an afternoon chuppah unless it is an all in one wedding leading into the dinner. only close family like siblings wear their evening gown for the chuppah. Also dont worry about it so much. People pop in and out of these things and nobody really cares. If I'm in the middle of my day I often just put on a smart shabbos coat and run in and out to wish mazal tov.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 11:07 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The wedding is in two different places with a very long break in between. We were told by the chosson''s family that everyone will be changing and she needs two outfits.

My question was what the first one (chupa/day reception) should be.

Nice shabbos dress. (This is what I would recommend for litvish-style circles, not sure about others.)

Chayalle

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 11:10 am
I went to London for my cousin's wedding a few years ago, together with my DD. We wore regular Shabbos clothes to the reception/chuppah, and what we would wear to a wedding here to the evening dinner/dance.

I saw people come in to the reception on the way home from doing carpool, with their kids in their school uniforms. Just to give you an idea - it's way more casual.

Circle is JPF/heimish. Golder's Green.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 12:21 am
Being that you're not from London, and you may not wish to specify the exact placement of the wedding hall...
When posters above refer to a Golders Green wedding, they are referring to the Golders Green area - including Hendon, Finchley and I imagine Edgeware would be on the same page clothingwise.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics