Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Advice for travelling to Potter world, Orlando

Frumwithallergies

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 12:33 am
I'll preface by saying that my kids are Potter fanatics, as am I.

DH and I have talked about treating our kids to a trip (me plus two kids). The rest would stay at home home with dh. We haven't bought airline tickets yet, but IYH I would go in November.

We would stay in a friend's condo so I could manage breakfasts and suppers.

Has anyone done this trip? I've never been to Disney so I'm a newbie. Kids coming are 12 and 9.

I would appreciate any ideas about the trip, Disney, Potter world, food in the park (kids and I have nut / sesame anaphylaxis), etc. I would pull them out of school and go Monday-Wednesday.

If anyone has any advice about the actual park, what to start with etc that would be a bonus!
TIA!!

shanarishona

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 1:10 am
Went. Didn’t have enough time. Saw castle and the village but didn’t have time for train

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 1:11 am
What do you want to see I have been to Orlando many times? Are you talking about universal studios and island of adventures is that where you want to go?

Frumwithallergies

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 1:22 am
shanarishona wrote:
Went. Didn’t have enough time. Saw castle and the village but didn’t have time for train

How many hours / days did you go for?

What kind of pass did you buy? I'm finding the universals Studio website overwhelming..... but I want to plan ahead.

Frumwithallergies

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 1:23 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
What do you want to see I have been to Orlando many times? Are you talking about universal studios and island of adventures is that where you want to go?

Universal Studio, yes, specifically the Harry Potter activities.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 1:36 am
I have went many times. Universal has two parks you
Would want to go to. Each park can be done in one day. Park hoppers are stupid because you are just jumping from park to park rather do one day one park and another day another park.

The only reason why your kids might want to do park hoppers is bec universal is very smart and in order to ride hogwarts express you need a park hopper bec hogwarts express goes from one park to the other park. It’s definitely a really cute train ride but it is a train ride and definitely an experience. You don’t need to do it now. The first time I went to universal I didn’t do hogwarts express the second year I went I did it.

Are you planning on visiting again any time soon or do you want to get it all in now.

What parks in Disney would interest you?

What else do you want to know?

Frumwithallergies

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 1:41 am
Thanks, seafoam! This is our first trip, and perhaps only trip to Orlando. We are going only for the Potter theme, so info about the train (needing the hopper pass) is invaluable! Thanks!

Do you think 2 days is enough to be totally immersed in all the Harry Potter rides / castle? Hogsmeade stuff? Shows? Or should I plan for more time?

What were your highlights? Lowlights?

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 3:16 am
Orlando Torah academy sells discounted tickets for both Universal parks. Go to www.Rabbiorlando.Org

Bruria

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 4:17 am
Express passes allow you to go through lines quickly and even though they are more expensive, I found them to be worth it, since then you are really able to go to all the rides and not miss out because of the lines.

flower2

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 5:28 am
Get either 2 or 3 day hopper tickets for universal
Skip Disney- not worth the added expense for ur trip
I agree to look into the express passes but they are $$ and I believe help w the rest of the parks more than the potter areas (some rides don't do express pass). If u are buying express passes be aware that some of the universal hotels offer them included w the room so you may want to price compare. This is a helpful website to make an itinerary: https://orlandoinformer.com/un.....lans/

Frumwithallergies

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 6:46 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Orlando Torah academy sells discounted tickets for both Universal parks. Go to www.Rabbiorlando.Org

Thanks ! I'll check it out!

Frumwithallergies

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 6:47 am
Bruria wrote:
Express passes allow you to go through lines quickly and even though they are more expensive, I found them to be worth it, since then you are really able to go to all the rides and not miss out because of the lines.

Thanks! I'll look into it!

Frumwithallergies

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 6:48 am
flower2 wrote:
Get either 2 or 3 day hopper tickets for universal
Skip Disney- not worth the added expense for ur trip
I agree to look into the express passes but they are $$ and I believe help w the rest of the parks more than the potter areas (some rides don't do express pass). If u are buying express passes be aware that some of the universal hotels offer them included w the room so you may want to price compare. This is a helpful website to make an itinerary: https://orlandoinformer.com/un.....lans/

Thanks! At the risk of sounding redundant, this is so helpful !

shmosmom

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 8:30 am
I would skip Disney as well.
(Have done it 3 times, it's a lot lot lot of walking around past games and food vendors and whatnot between rides, although some parks are worse than others. You don't end up getting enough for your money unless your kids are avid fans and are adamant and would feel super treated.)
If your kids are more into Harry Potter just do that, one day for each park. Use the other day in Orlando to do a smaller less popular park. Those will have much shorter lines than theme parks and after 2 days you get tired of waiting on line that much.
Have a fantastic time!!

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 9:58 am
Not sure if it would work for you, but just wanted to mention something I learned from this site! There is a beautiful drive-through wildlife park called Lake Apopka that is only open on weekends. If you will be flying in on Sunday, it is very worthwhile. We saw alligators that were so huge, it was incredible. Its kind of like how I imagine Florida was before it was developed.

Frumwithallergies

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 10:51 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
Not sure if it would work for you, but just wanted to mention something I learned from this site! There is a beautiful drive-through wildlife park called Lake Apopka that is only open on weekends. If you will be flying in on Sunday, it is very worthwhile. We saw alligators that were so huge, it was incredible. Its kind of like how I imagine Florida was before it was developed.

So cool! Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics