Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Did your ds lein at his bar mitzvah?

yo'ma

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 8:35 am
We gave our boys a choice. It was up to them. They all wanted to, at least in the beginning. My first and second did, but my third was having too much trouble, so he ended up just saying haftorah. In about a year is my fourth sons bar mitzvah bh and he's so cute. As of right now he really wants to. He'll be 12 in a month and over simchas torah, he was reviewing it with the fake torah we have and chumash. The fake actually has hashems name in it, so not kosher would be the better word. The only lousy thing is, he practiced the wrong parsha. He was one off. I checked it after yom tov.

As a side thing, are there cd's made for him to study the parsha to lein because while we paid someone the other times, we're kind of burned out from that because it didn't work out so well. Nothing exactly to do with the person who they studied with and besides we don't know of anyone else. TIA

Completely nothing to do with the question, but is it at or by?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 9:04 am
My oldest had no interest. He doesn't like any public attention. Though he did B"H realize he did need to say brachos and get an aliyah, and he did speak at his siyum on Shabbos (70 ppl. -- family members)

My second is chalishing to lein. His bar mitzvah is in a little over 2 months and he practices nightly, but he knew a little trop from school already and my husband helps him out. He uses a tikkun, and that is the extent of his lessons. My main issue is that he doesn't project his voice well (which is ironic because my oldest would do a much nicer job if he agreed -- I think his voice is nicer and more confident and definitely louder!) but he's still getting over losing his voice in sleepaway camp :/ He thinks he should drink a lot of egg nog Smile

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 9:17 am
I have no personal experience with it, but a MP3 of leining does exist. See
https://www.judaicapress.com/p.....p3-cd

Another option is to pay the Bar Mitzvah teacher to record the parsha for your son so he can practice at home, if you think that will work better than the private lessons.

animeme

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 9:19 am
If your ds learned the parsha after his (as opposed to before), he can lein mincha.

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 9:38 am
It’s AT if you’re speaking English, BY if you’re speaking Yiddish. In English, you’d use BY if you meant “next to” as in “side BY side.” As in “ my house is right by the park.” But a boy leins AT his bar mitzvah, after which he might have lunch AT his grandparents’ house, where he might be forced to sit BY his younger cousin (who will annoy him BY telling juvenile jokes AT his expense).

Our dss leined parasha and haftarah, but I don’t recall if they did the entire thing. It was always the boy’s decision though we would have made sure he learned both types of leining even if he had chosen to do only one at the bar mitzvah.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 9:42 am
zaq wrote:
It’s AT if you’re speaking English, BY if you’re speaking Yiddish. In English, you’d use BY if you meant “next to” as in “side BY side.” As in “ my house is right by the park.” But a boy leins AT his bar mitzvah, after which he might have lunch AT his grandparents’ house, where he might be forced to sit BY his younger cousin (who will annoy him BY telling juvenile jokes AT his expense).

Thank you! Smile

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 10:00 am
My son did not Lein, but he could have - my husband teaches Bar Mitzvah boys online and my son had known trop since he was seven.

Chabad.org has an online trop trainer that is very impressive: https://www.chabad.org/library......htm#!32494/1351/32818/32883/v162

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 10:41 am
My son didn't want to do the whole parsha so he was going to just do shevii and maftir.
In the end we scrapped a Shabbat affair and he read the Torah on a Monday at the Kotel.
It was perfect for him.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 11:43 am
We used Trope Trainer. It is $140 for the deluxe version which includes every parasha plus all five megillot. It's a good solution if you can't afford the thousands of dollars that hiring a Bar Mitzvah teacher would cost. It's also a much better solution than just memorizing a recording. Ideally, it's great if your son learns to lein rather than just learning his parasha.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 4:32 pm
All my sons leined, parasha and haftora. They did have to be approved by the shul's baal koreih. My husband taught them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics