Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Are there rules?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 11:17 am
To teaching students to spell with like vowel teams. Such as when to spell using ee (seen) or ea (beach), ow (gown) and or ou (house)

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 11:47 am
No. Those make the same sounds. Tell your child or students: if you want to know which words use which sounds...read! The more you read the more you will know!

dankbar

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 11:53 am
English is a funny language.
If plural of mouse is mice why isn't plural of house, hice then?

If plural of foot is feet, why isn't plural of boot, beet then?

dankbar

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 11:54 am
sight cards might help.

A pic with word underneath with right spelling, either show them often or hang up in classroom.

dankbar

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 11:59 am
You can also do games on word building, where student have to put together words with right spelling, with letter card/tiles.

The middle two vowels put onto one card, let them pick out, right one to create the word you say. let's say One girl comes up, you tell her create the word feet. She will have to pick an f then ee card, then T. Then together place it on poster on side of the EE words column.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 12:02 pm
You can teach as a rule.I.e. here are all the ways to spell long e: ee, ea, e___e, etc
The /ow/ should be taught along with the /ou/ sounds, I.e. gown and found have same sounds.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 12:14 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
No. Those make the same sounds. Tell your child or students: if you want to know which words use which sounds...read! The more you read the more you will know!

That's what I thought, thanks!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 12:14 pm
dankbar wrote:
You can also do games on word building, where student have to put together words with right spelling, with letter card/tiles.

The middle two vowels put onto one card, let them pick out, right one to create the word you say. let's say One girl comes up, you tell her create the word feet. She will have to pick an f then ee card, then T. Then together place it on poster on side of the EE words column.

Cute idea, thx!

amother
Black

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 1:36 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:

Reading will expand vocabulary, but won't teach you correct pronunciation. I still have this problem as an adult, I have always been an avid reader, but I'm not such a talker and there are plenty of words whose meaning I know perfectly well but I'm not entirely sure how they're pronounced LOL

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 2:24 pm
Quote:

Reading will expand vocabulary, but won't teach you correct pronunciation. I still have this problem as an adult, I have always been an avid reader, but I'm not such a talker and there are plenty of words whose meaning I know perfectly well but I'm not entirely sure how they're pronounced LOL

Yes that's definitely true. I understood that the question wasn't referring to knowing how to pronounce it, rather when to use what, since both make the same sound. [/quote]

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 2:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
To teaching students to spell with like vowel teams. Such as when to spell using ee (seen) or ea (beach), ow (gown) and or ou (house)

No these have to be memorized. I know, it's hard. But as another poster wrote, the more a child reads the more they will pick up the correct spelling.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 5:45 pm
I always tell them "when two vowels go walking, the first one does the talking."
Then I teach them the exceptions to that rule once they know it very well. Google "vowel teams" there's a lot of teaching resources

shmosmom

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 6:02 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:

I relate to this post!! I read a lot and am constantly second guessing pronunciations of words I want to use but am not sure how to pronounce. I end up taking the time to Google it, so that next time I want to use it I know how.
I've also stopped correcting other people's pronunciations, because I realize that they must read a lot too and I value that.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 6:08 pm
Most of the time you can’t know which vowel team to use. But, ay is always at the end of the word. And you can yeah that some vowel combos are more commonly used. For example, ui is used for suit and fruit and juice.

I teach that if they are unsure they should try both options and see what looks more familiar. Most of the time the can pick it out. Like try raik and take and pick the better one.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 8:24 pm
Thanks everyone, one more question, are there rules as to when vowel teams will say a certain sound? Such as au will ou can have an ow and short u sound like count and rough

nchr

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 8:55 pm
ou is usually in the middle of a word (through, house, bound, etc.) and ow is usually at the end (brow, bow, cow, etc.). However, this is not always true. However, you are teaching children how to spell and so they should not need to guess. Reading helps a lot as well.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 10:00 pm
nchr wrote:
ou is usually in the middle of a word (through, house, bound, etc.) and ow is usually at the end (brow, bow, cow, etc.). However, this is not always true. However, you are teaching children how to spell and so they should not need to guess. Reading helps a lot as well.

Then there is gown, frown, etc.

So complicating Can't Believe It
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics