Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How much do you make an hour?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 8:51 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
Just googled him, he has a Phd

Right. Someone wrote that she assumed the rates I posted are for a doctorate level - I’m showing her that someone with a PhD charges 350/500.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 9:08 pm
What's the point of such a thread?
Please explain, I'm really clueless.
I don't want to be mean but it seems to me that because of pure curiosity a whole bunch of ppl will feel bad that they're not making enough... Can't Believe It
We don't even know how the money is earned or where, so how does it help anyone?
If anyone wants to know the going rate of various job out there they can look it up on google!

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 9:16 pm
$45/period as a Teacher

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 9:28 pm
[quote="amother [ Navy ]"]Same here, not NY area. And that's with 8 years of experience. Clearly I am in the wrong field...[/quo

That is a problem that the rate doesn't really increase with experience and you need to get a masters to make more. I am making 35 with 1 year experience.

Still for a bachelor's degree 60k plus benefits is a good salary.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 9:42 pm
I make 40/hour in the classroom but I bring home lots of work that I don't get paid for. Averaging it out to include (by now minimal) prep time, marking time, PTA, time on the phone with tutors/parents it comes out to about 20/hour or less.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 9:47 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
I don't want to be mean but it seems to me that because of pure curiosity a whole bunch of ppl will feel bad that they're not making enough... Can't Believe It
We don't even know how the money is earned or where, so how does it help anyone?
If anyone wants to know the going rate of various job out there they can look it up on google!

I hear your point but I think it’s all about the perspective it’s being viewed from.

Personally, I was intrigued by this post because I am a secretary/ bookkeeper. I work 40 hrs a week and make $20 an hour. Also self employed and and have a seasonal side business. Average combined can range from $60 to $80k but last year it was a terrible year and I didn’t come close to $60k. I am the breadwinner since my husband hasn’t worked because of health issues. The struggle has been intense.

I don’t feel bad that I don’t make as much as others. I wish I did. I feel like I work twice as hard and want to hear which careers Jewish women are in and where they make a comfortable income. Right now I’m in a rut and trying to find a way to get out of it. Whether it be entrepreneurial or finishing my degree. Looking for ideas that may motivate me to make a positive change in my life.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 9:53 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
I currently make 45 and I hope to make around 200. I’d like to go into private practice . LCSW with a specific focus / specialty.

How long did you go to school for? Was it a regular 4 yr program or an accelerated program?

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 11:35 pm
$75 SLP

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 12:16 am
Israel. 9 dollars working in a nursery.
And I'm getting MORE than the minimum wage here....

Most of my friends make less.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 12:29 am

I hear you. It’s a really bad feeling to work hard and to feel underpaid and taken advantage from.

At the same time it’s important to k is what you can be worth. I was making 32 an hour. I had potential to go up to about 50. I was very happy with the pay and thought that it was reasonable for my work until..... I once saw a list of all my coworkers salaries. Many many of them made significantly more. (They did have more credentials, but I was more experienced in the field) I felt so bitter!

I left the job and now that I knew what the going rate was I was asking for much more. Bh I found something where I earn a lot more.

Yes it hurt to see that I was underpaid. But it was so important to go through that to slknow that I can earn more.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 2:46 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
How long did you go to school for? Was it a regular 4 yr program or an accelerated program?

4 year bachelors, 2 year MSW, I would like to train through IITAP which requires 5 years of clinical experience besides for the actual training which is another couple of years, and another couple of thousand of clinical hours for my CASAC.
No accelerated program.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 3:09 am

Please don't assume that other people will have the same reaction as you. Comments like these always frustrate me. What makes one person feel bad can give another person tremendous chizzuk. It's up to the reader's discretion to skip over a thread that they feel may trigger them.

I work very hard, long hours, for a dismal hourly rate. This thread is somehow gives me chizzuk. Seeing that some people have started at a low rate and were able to work their way up. It's also wonderful to see what jobs pay well, considering that my daughter has to pick her college major this year. That's just 2 examples of how someone may find this thread helpful. You don't, and that's fine. Just skip it.

There was a thread not too long ago about what people loved about their husbands, or some such title, and someone commented how no good could come from that thread. I commented there as well that as someone who has been through major shalom bayis issues in the past, the thread was extremely cathartic for me and other posters agreed. I remember something that someone had said to me when I was experiencing a miscarriage made me feel so much better, and I've actually seen that exact line on a list of, "What never to say to someone going through a miscarriage." We all have different emotions and different reactions. Please acknowledge that.

Lastly, where do we draw the line? There may be no children, financial, shalom bayis, new home, high school etc. etc. etc. posts because it can be hurtful to someone who is experiencing infertility/struggling financially/struggling in their marriage/can't afford a new home/can't get their child into school, and so on. There would be no Imamother left. Let it be, and everyone will just have to know themselves enough to not click on certain thread titles.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 3:14 am

Last edited by amother on Thu, Oct 31 2019, 3:15 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 3:15 am
I actually am enjoying this thread.
I haven’t worked in a few years and find it very interesting to see what people are earning.
10 years ago I left a job that was paying me $34 and hour. It’s sad that since I didn’t work the last few years, if I were to find a similar job I would end up starting with less than I made 10 years ago!

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 3:35 am

I don’t really understand the point of your post actually. If someone wants to post a curiosity question they should feel free to do so without being made to feel guilty. Everyone has the choice to read or not read this thread.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 3:53 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
4 year bachelors, 2 year MSW, I would like to train through IITAP which requires 5 years of clinical experience besides for the actual training which is another couple of years, and another couple of thousand of clinical hours for my CASAC.
No accelerated program.

Good for you! It sounds like you have worked hard to get where you are and are continually growing in your field. I hope you reach your goals!

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 4:26 am
I earn 20$/hour. Office manager. It's a lot where I live. You are all super rich. Smile

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 4:38 am
Oh, I also do freelance data entry and transcription for $20/$25 an hour, and (periodically) housepainting for $20. And just started as an assistant for a temporary after school class for $30:).

And it doesn't make me bitter that others are earning more – they chose different paths, and Hashem had different plans for them. It Does make me bitter that we as a society value different careers so unequally ... but I already knew that;)

amother
Green

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 4:46 am
22$ hour daycare sub

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 4:47 am

Anyone who feels bad is being a little shortsighted. The women here who are making a lot of $$$ have professional degrees that required years of effort (and possibly student loans), or in business, which is not only a risk but also a huge pressure because you can't leave your worries behind after office hours- every issue becomes your headache. Being a sheitel macher, for example, sounds like hard work.

I am not making anywhere close to the numbers people posted but I'm happy. I work near home, have flexible hours, have kind employers who don't mind if I swap a day here and there, etc. and I leave all the problems behind when I leave for the day. That's my choice for now.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics