Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Baked Honey Paprika Chicken

Amarante

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 12:56 pm
It really doesn’t get much easier than this and it produced a very tasty result. I used skinless bone in breasts but a combination would work or the big legs as well. I would not use boneless for this recipe as the bone adds flavor and succulence to the end result. I always marinate as longer possible - I started the marinade in the morning.

I used "real" paprika and not that tasteless orange dust sold in the cans at the supermarket - what a difference. I might try with a mixture of hot and regular paprika or even smoked paprika if I make again.

ETA - It didn't take me as long to cook as the recipe calls for so I would check to make sure you don't cook too long and get a dry overcooked chicken.

Baked Honey Paprika Chicken

Excerpt From: S. L. Watson. “The Big Chicken Cookbook: Main Dishes, Casseroles, Soups & More! (Southern Cooking Recipes Book 53).

Makes 6 servings

Ingredients

1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup minced onion
2 tbs. grated fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced - I used more Very Happy
4 lb. whole chicken, skin removed
2 tsp. paprika

Directions

In a large Ziploc bag, add the honey, soy sauce, onion, ginger and garlic cloves. Close the bag and shake until all the ingredients are combined. Place the chicken in the bag and close the bag. Shake the bag until the chicken is covered in the marinade. Refrigerate the chicken for 1 hour. Turn the chicken occasionally so all sides of the chicken are coated in the marinade.

Preheat the oven to 375°. Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and place the chicken on a roasting pan. Cover the chicken lightly with aluminum foil. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove the aluminum foil from the chicken and sprinkle the paprika over the chicken. Bake for 1 hour or until the chicken is no longer pink, done and tender. Remove the chicken from the oven and serve.

Last edited by Amarante on Thu, Oct 31 2019, 3:55 pm; edited 2 times in total

top mom

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 12:59 pm
I just made my Shabbos chicken, but I'll definitely try this in the near future!
Thanks

SleepingBeauty

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 1:35 pm
sounds so good, but what is 'real' paprika??

Amarante

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 3:52 pm
SleepingBeauty wrote:
sounds so good, but what is 'real' paprika??

All spices go bad and lose their strength but paprika seems to lose any flavor exceptionally quickly so the paprika that is typically sold in supermarkets has almost zero flavor - all it does is add a bit of color Very Happy

I get spices from thespicehouse.com and the prices are good as one can get them without bottles or other containers in relatively small amounts. There are other excellent sources for better quality spices as well.

There is a huge difference in quality between most supermarket spices which have been sitting in containers for who knows how long losing their potency and stuff you get from a spice specialty store which sells fresh stuff.

ETA - Paprika is actually the dried and ground powder of a particular species of red pepper. I believe it is indigenous to Hungary which is why it is associated with a lot of classic Hungarian dishes but it's now pretty universal. The standard stuff is called "sweet paprika" but even good "sweet paprika" has a bit but very mild tang. Smoked paprika and hot paprika are what the names indicate - smoked paprika can be especially interesting in some braised meat dishes I've made.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 4:48 pm
Prima makes delicious fresh paprika.

SleepingBeauty

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 11:01 am
ra_mom wrote:
Prima makes delicious fresh paprika.

I buy only Prima spices. Does Prima have two different sorts of paprika? Or is their regular paprika what you are referring to?

icedcoffee

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 11:03 am
I made something similar with maple syrup instead of honey. It was great! Tasted perfect for autumn.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 11:08 am
SleepingBeauty wrote:
I buy only Prima spices. Does Prima have two different sorts of paprika? Or is their regular paprika what you are referring to?

They have standard paprika called extra fancy, sweet paprika, smoked paprika, Hungarian paprika and hot paprika.
What you have is fine as long as you keep it fresh it tastes great.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey