Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Should Imamother switch to one heart button?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Should there be one "heart" button instead of "hug" and "like"?
Yes, one heart button  
 23%  [ 26 ]
No, keep the current system  
 53%  [ 60 ]
No, just get rid of "hug"  
 10%  [ 12 ]
No, one button, but not "heart"  
 1%  [ 2 ]
Other (explain in comments)  
 10%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 112

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 2:01 pm
Another vote for thunderstorm's idea. It should be called "disagree" rather than "thumbs down" or "dislike."

Simple1

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 2:05 pm
I wonder if there is a way to keep the hug button just on the original post.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 2:09 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
I think people overthink this.

This. Just leave things as they are.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 2:27 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
THIS. It would solve so many problems. I think it would be interesting if we could see how many likes a post had, vs. dislikes. Keep hugs pure and innocent, the way they were supposed to be.

Too high a cost.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 3:41 pm
Simple1 wrote:
I wonder if there is a way to keep the hug button just on the original post.

If hugs are to mean what they were meant to mean, it would make sense for posters to be able to disable the hug button on their own posts.

lavenderchimes

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 5:45 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I think thumbs down is not a good idea. It's too likely to hurt someone and the risk of ona'as devarim is not one that Yael should take. Nor any of us. Better to say, I disagree and exactly why.

Yes. While part of me wants to be able to dislike some posts, my better-behaved self thinks that it's just going to lead to more people being hurt.

Regarding hugs being used sarcastically ... does that even really happen? I feel like people get weirdly suspicious of the meaning of a "hug". Why don't we all just assume that a hug is a hug?

I would love a "Haha" button, for sure! I enjoy it of FB. And I like having the option to like or hug. I "like" many posts that I wouldn't "heart", and "hug" many posts that I wouldn't "love" (which is the alternate meaning of "heart".

So, I vote for THREE options - "like", "hug", and "laugh".

seeker

Post Sat, Nov 02 2019, 8:43 pm
lavenderchimes wrote:
Yes. While part of me wants to be able to dislike some posts, my better-behaved self thinks that it's just going to lead to more people being hurt.

Regarding hugs being used sarcastically ... does that even really happen? I feel like people get weirdly suspicious of the meaning of a "hug". Why don't we all just assume that a hug is a hug?

I would love a "Haha" button, for sure! I enjoy it of FB. And I like having the option to like or hug. I "like" many posts that I wouldn't "heart", and "hug" many posts that I wouldn't "love" (which is the alternate meaning of "heart".

So, I vote for THREE options - "like", "hug", and "laugh".

Well, if people have issues with passive-aggressive hugs then there will DEFINITELY be passive-aggressive laughs. I'm fine "liking" things that are funny. If it was written as a joke then liking=laughing.

lavenderchimes

Post Sat, Nov 02 2019, 9:51 pm
seeker wrote:
Well, if people have issues with passive-aggressive hugs then there will DEFINITELY be passive-aggressive laughs.

Good point. But I still vote for the three buttons:)

I feel like FB never has these problems with people assuming that love and laughs are negative. I wonder ... why is it an issue here, but not there?

seeker

Post Sat, Nov 02 2019, 10:11 pm
lavenderchimes wrote:
Good point. But I still vote for the three buttons:)

I feel like FB never has these problems with people assuming that love and laughs are negative. I wonder ... why is it an issue here, but not there?

Facebook has plenty of nastiness.

lavenderchimes

Post Sat, Nov 02 2019, 10:56 pm
seeker wrote:
Facebook has plenty of nastiness.

Plenty of nastinees - no doubt! Very outright and obvious nastiness. But I have never seen people getting upset over thinking that loves and laughs were actually meant to be nasty. It seems like FB assumes that loves and laughs are what they are supposed to be. Or I am just missing it on FB?

leah233

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 2:35 pm
Aside for the potential for hurt feelings I don't think there should be a disagree button because it adds very little to the conversation, does a lot to stifle it and encourages preaching to the choir only threads .

Someone who has a viewpoint that isn't popular on imamother is not going to post if she gets no response other than a bunch of disagree clicks.

It's also a lot easier to just "disagree" with someone than to come up with an actual reason why you do so.

singleagain

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 5:23 pm
If I remember right. The buttons were added to help lessen the number of posters that would quote a post and say "hugs" or "like/this" imagine a poster putting up a very difficult situation hoping to get advice and she cones been to see 22 replies but 24 of them are her OP quoted with hugs. Yes it feels good but then she may miss the two posts with concrete advice.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 5:43 pm
lavenderchimes wrote:
Plenty of nastinees - no doubt! Very outright and obvious nastiness. But I have never seen people getting upset over thinking that loves and laughs were actually meant to be nasty. It seems like FB assumes that loves and laughs are what they are supposed to be. Or I am just missing it on FB?

On Facebook there are more options, in addition to like, love, and hahah, there's also wow, sad, and angry. So if someone wants to react negatively they can use the last two. Then the only thing unclear is, are they sad/angry about what was posted, or at the person who posted it?

Although maybe sometimes people think that the wow reaction indicates shock. I don't think I've seen haha used to laugh at the poster, but maybe if it would be used to react to something that clearly wasn't intended to be funny it could be.

Note: I don't care what reactions are added, deleted, or left alone. Unless it's the "meh" button.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 1:34 pm
Another possibility would be an "unhug" button that removes one hug. Nobody would unhug a genuine hug, but it would allow people to remove mistaken or sarcastic hugs.

singleagain

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 2:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Another possibility would be an "unhug" button that removes one hug. Nobody would unhug a genuine hug, but it would allow people to remove mistaken or sarcastic hugs.

If you mistakenly click hug. Just click hug again to undo it

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 2:13 pm
singleagain wrote:
If you mistakenly click hug. Just click hug again to undo it

I meant a button to delete others' hugs.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 2:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I meant a button to delete others' hugs.

Are there any platforms out there that do that? FB, etc?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 3:13 pm
I don't use social media that has reaction buttons.

gamanit

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 3:14 pm
imasoftov wrote:
On Facebook there are more options, in addition to like, love, and hahah, there's also wow, sad, and angry. So if someone wants to react negatively they can use the last two. Then the only thing unclear is, are they sad/angry about what was posted, or at the person who posted it?

Although maybe sometimes people think that the wow reaction indicates shock. I don't think I've seen haha used to laugh at the poster, but maybe if it would be used to react to something that clearly wasn't intended to be funny it could be.

Note: I don't care what reactions are added, deleted, or left alone. Unless it's the "meh" button.

I see reactions being used meanly on facebook all the time. People post for advice and get "haha" reaction. Meh button sounds mean and cool at the same time.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 3:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't use social media that has reaction buttons.

Besides Imamother Wink
I don't like the idea of not having full autonomy over my posts, besides the decisions of moderators. I was wondering if such a thing is actually done anywhere else. If you don't know maybe someone else does.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics