Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Question for those of you with only brothers
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 4:11 pm
For those of you who grew up with only brothers. How was the experience? Did you enjoy being the only girl in the house or did you feel as though you were missing out ? Later in life, do all the responsiblity in taking care of family fall on you?
I bh am so grateful for my children. I have boys and then one girl. Dh and I are on the fence as to whether on not to go for another. Originally, our last was supposed to be it but lately I have this nagging feeling that I should try for a girl to give my daughter a sister. But then a tiny bit of me feels that our family is great and we should leave it be.
Any thoughts?

Ps. Please dont mention anything abt how it can easily be another boy if we go for another. We are obviously aware and would be more than fine with a boy should we take that step. Just wondering how desperate you all were for sisters and if it's worth the try

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 4:50 pm
I don’t have an answer but I worry about my daughter too who only has older brothers. Right now she is doted upon by them and loves them to pieces and they adore her. I have one sister and she is my best friend. So I know how meaningful a sister would be.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 4:57 pm
I have older brothers and my parents had another girl when I was already older and I’m so glad they did! I love love love having a sister.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 4:57 pm
I am an only girl. There are definitely perks to being the only girl (or having it harder than the boys in certain instances), but now that Im married Im craving that sister I can call who would listen to me. I can feel like Im a burden to my friends but sisters are sisters...

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 4:59 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
I am an only girl. There are definitely perks to being the only girl (or having it harder than the boys in certain instances), but now that Im married Im craving that sister I can call who would listen to me. I can feel like Im a burden to my friends but sisters are sisters...

I am also an only girl and I feel the same way.
I miss having a sister way more now than in my youth.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 5:23 pm
I have one sister and a bunch of brothers. My brothers are great but I'm so thankful to have my sister. We are about 8 years apart and have very different personalities. We didn't have much to do with each other before we were married but now we are such good friends. I love that we can talk about almost anything together and that it's so comfortable to just be myself with her. We get together all the time, shop.... if theres anything going on in our family, it's great that we have each other to talk to about it. My sister in laws are great but they can't compare to having my sister.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 5:28 pm
I don't know what I would do without my sisters! My life is tremendously better because of them!

I have only one daughter and I feel terrible that I am unable to give her a sister!

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 5:39 pm
I grew up with only an older brother. We still are not close. I look at people with close sisters and it looks WONDERFUL.

(Of course, having a sister doesn't always guarantee having a CLOSE sister!)

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 5:41 pm
I feel like I really missed out on one of the greatest relationships in life by not having a sister.
But I would never think that’s a reason my parents should have had another child if they didn’t want to.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 5:44 pm
I have only one daughter and a bunch of boys. I tried giving her a sister. Oh well.

My own sisters are unfortunately not mentally well, and I don't have much of a relationship with them. However, I am so blessed to have a few friends that I truly feel are my sisters and my sisters in law are also incredibly dear to me.

A + B doesn't always equal C. Have another child if that is right for your family, but either way, raise your children to be loving and close regardless of gender, and to value relationships. Teach them how to build them with whomever may be in their lives to allow them to have rich fulfilling relationships. And don't despair!

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 5:45 pm
I have 3 sisters that all hate me. None of us are close. I have 3 brothers who are amazing and my best friends ever. I would do anything for my brothers and vs vs.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 5:48 pm
I guess I win at boy bingo, I have only brothers and only sons. I like to think my boy-heavy household prepared me well for being a boy mom. It doesn't bother me in the slightest, and I've honestly never understood why people make such a big deal about it. I don't feel like I lost out by not having a sister. I have a couple of SIL's who I love dearly, though I still don't feel like they're the sisters I never had or anything like that. I would like a daughter, but I've come to terms with the fact that it might never happen, and I'm OK with having more boys. It's not like any of this is anyone's control anyway.

amother
Red

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 5:55 pm
Please don’t have another child for the sake of “giving your dd a sister”. Have another child because you honestly want another child, or don’t have one because you honestly don’t want another. That’s the only respectable reason for having more children once you’ve fulfilled your pru urevu.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 6:09 pm
[quote="amother [ Red ]"]Please don’t have another child for the sake of “giving your dd a sister”. Have another child because you honestly want another child, or don’t have one because you honestly don’t want another. That’s the only respectable reason for having more children once you’ve fulfilled your pru urevu.[/quote

Okay seriously. The point of this post was simply to gather information about people with only brothers. At no point did I say I am only having a baby for a girl. That would be a huge thing taken into consideration but obviously not the only one. I hate being preached to Banging head

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 6:28 pm
I had only brothers. I grew up in a dysfunctional family and I naively thought that when my brothers get married that their wives would be at least friendly towards me. The good news is that they are all married. Aside from a few texts from my brothers here and there, they don't invite me to anything except major Simchas like Bar Mitzvahs and Brissim. I have a few close friends where I live and I daven that my boys should find wives who will be good to me. But as my ds explained to me, "My wife just has to respect you. She doesn't have to be your best friend."

Einikel

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 6:51 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
I have 3 sisters that all hate me.
Hug Hug

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 7:28 pm
I'm an only girl with lots of brothers BH". Growing up I didn't mind so much as I got lots of attention, jewelry and girl stuff I had friends and enjoyed my brothers. I obviously helped alot more but that didn't bother me. I also have a fantastic relationship with my mother which is amazing. She's super young, trendy and totally with it (more than me) we're so close bh". But since I'm married (almost 20 years) I really miss having a sister...my friends all rather call their sister's for regular day to day stuff, schmoozing, venting, shopping etc... My brothers happen all to live in a different towns then me and it's different having a relationship with a married brother as they are into their own family and different interests then ladies... I would've loved a sister but since there's nothing I can do I just count my blessings...and thank Hashem for giving me so much good including 4 girls of my own!

amother
Red

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 8:45 pm
[quote="amother [ OP ]"]
amother [ Red ] wrote:
Please don’t have another child for the sake of “giving your dd a sister”. Have another child because you honestly want another child, or don’t have one because you honestly don’t want another. That’s the only respectable reason for having more children once you’ve fulfilled your pru urevu.[/quote

Okay seriously. The point of this post was simply to gather information about people with only brothers. At no point did I say I am only having a baby for a girl. That would be a huge thing taken into consideration but obviously not the only one. I hate being preached to Banging head

May I quote your OP? “Originally, our last was supposed to be it but lately I have this nagging feeling that I should try for a girl to give my daughter a sister.”

Just quoting your own words back at you. How else would you interpret the above statement? True, you didn’t say that you ARE having a baby to give your dd a sister. You merely said you were thinking about it. If you were already pregnant there would be no point to this whole thread. Any preaching is in your own head, sister.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 9:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
For those of you who grew up with only brothers. How was the experience? Did you enjoy being the only girl in the house or did you feel as though you were missing out ? Later in life, do all the responsiblity in taking care of family fall on you?
I bh am so grateful for my children. I have boys and then one girl. Dh and I are on the fence as to whether on not to go for another. Originally, our last was supposed to be it but lately I have this nagging feeling that I should try for a girl to give my daughter a sister. But then a tiny bit of me feels that our family is great and we should leave it be.
Any thoughts?

Ps. Please dont mention anything abt how it can easily be another boy if we go for another. We are obviously aware and would be more than fine with a boy should we take that step. Just wondering how desperate you all were for sisters and if it's worth the try

This is a bizarre reason for wanting a child and assumes it’s in your hands instead of Gd’s

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 9:11 pm
This is a hard post for me , because my oldest is a girl and then I have a lot of boys including a newborn bh.
I would like to have another baby in a few years, and try for a girl..
And I do try to have my daughter be close with her cousins.
Which she is.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics