Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Nachos creamy cheese recipe, anyone?

squirrel

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 5:09 pm
I am looking specifically for that creamy cheese that gets poured over the nachos.

mha3484

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 5:16 pm
I make a basic cheese sauce with flour and butter and then milk and cheese. Like this https://www.myrecipes.com/reci.....sauce If you like spicy food you can use pepper jack or add diced jalapeno.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 5:30 pm
I make the white sauce with butter and flour, add milk and simmer until thick. Then I add a few cubes of cream cheese, and then cheddar at the last minute. Take off the heat and stir until smooth. I like to add some spicy hot salsa, but it's optional.

It's the cream cheese that makes it smooth and keeps everything from separating and getting clumpy. A few slices of American cheese will do the same job, but IMHO American cheese is really gross.

Experiment with measurements, because fat content in the cheese, the heat of the pan, and humidity can all play a factor in the results.

The good thing about cheese sauce, is that if you don't like how it's turning out, you can keep fussing with it until you get the balance right. There's really no way to ruin it unless you burn the bottom of the pan - so use low heat and stir often!

Toast your corn chips in the oven for just a minute, to make them extra crunchy. It's worth the extra step.

Dang it, now I'm craving nachos! Very Happy

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 5:37 pm
2 Tbsp butter
1 cup whole milk
2 cups (8 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
4 slices American cheese

Heat butter, milk, cheddar and American cheese over medium flame until creamy. Pour immediately.

squirrel

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 8:17 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I make the white sauce with butter and flour, add milk and simmer until thick. Then I add a few cubes of cream cheese, and then cheddar at the last minute. Take off the heat and stir until smooth. I like to add some spicy hot salsa, but it's optional.

It's the cream cheese that makes it smooth and keeps everything from separating and getting clumpy. A few slices of American cheese will do the same job, but IMHO American cheese is really gross.

Experiment with measurements, because fat content in the cheese, the heat of the pan, and humidity can all play a factor in the results.

The good thing about cheese sauce, is that if you don't like how it's turning out, you can keep fussing with it until you get the balance right. There's really no way to ruin it unless you burn the bottom of the pan - so use low heat and stir often!

Toast your corn chips in the oven for just a minute, to make them extra crunchy. It's worth the extra step.

Dang it, now I'm craving nachos! Very Happy

Lol im craving it big time! Thanks this sounds like heaven on earth, cant wait to try em.
Thanks all!!

sky

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 3:09 pm
Any ideas how to serve and prepare cheese nachos for yom tov Seudah

mha3484

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 3:37 pm
Are you leaving an oven on?

miami85

Post Tue, May 11 2021, 11:25 pm
sky wrote:

I met some colleagues at a restaurant for drinks and I saw the restaurant prepare the nachos in a huge looked like a coffee can--metal cylinder and everything was mixed in the can, which I guess kept it warm until serving time and then he dumped it out when he got to the table.

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 12:02 am
sky wrote:

If you're using just butter milk and cheese, you should be able to melt it all together fresh on your plata/blech, you'll just need some patience.

If you're using an oven, skip the sauce and layer up your nachos with cheese and toppings and just bake.

sky

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 12:08 am
mha3484 wrote:
Are you leaving an oven on?

A toaster that will turn off after 1 hr. I also have a meat oven so can only double wrap.
I will have a burner so I could heat the sauce on there.

challahchallah

Post Wed, May 12 2021, 1:32 am
sky wrote:
A toaster that will turn off after 1 hr. I also have a meat oven so can only double wrap.
I will have a burner so I could heat the sauce on there.

The sauce will keep well for a couple days in the fridge. Warm slowly on a burner when ready to use, then pour over the chips (or serve for dipping, whatever you prefer).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals