Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why is [non jew] not a PC word?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 6:57 pm
I'm just curiously thinking this as the censor censors me again from this word.
I understand people take it negatively. But...why?
I guess it's along the lines of calling someone black. But like calling them african americans is racist too if they are not from africa or south america, no?

I just don't understand.
If anyone knows the history, or can shed some light on what turned the word [non jew] into a non PC word I'd love to hear!

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 7:07 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
I guess it's along the lines of calling someone black. But like calling them african americans is racist too if they are not from africa or south america, no?

I just don't understand.
If anyone knows the history, or can shed some light on what turned the word [non jew] into a non PC word I'd love to hear!

Because it is largely used that way by Jews.

If someone said to you, "That Chris, he has a real g0yishe kop," would you take it to mean that Chris is a member of Mensa, or that Chris is an idiot.

If I were to begin a sentence with, "You know, the g0yim ..." would you expect me to say "... are really kind, generous people whom I admire," or to say something less flattering.

seeker

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 7:08 pm
Because people have used it as a put-down a few times too many. More like n-word than Black

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 7:09 pm
LovesHashem wrote:

I just don't understand.

G○y is a perfectly fine word where I live. It means gentile. There was a poster on here who bragged that she got the word banned. She isn't active anymore.

tigerwife

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 7:12 pm
It’s totally cultural. In my circles it’s just a Yiddish word that refers to someone who isn’t a Jew, I.e, “Is she a yid or a g-y?”. I’ve learned on here that others use it in a very derogatory way and therefore find it inappropriate to use the word at all.

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 7:13 pm
AIUI, it has to do with the context. If you were writing in Yiddish where "[non jew]" merely means non-Jew, then it wouldn't necessarily be derogatory. However, if you're writing a whole post in English but only use "[non jew]" instead of gentile or non-Jew then it carries a negative connotation.

tigerwife

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 7:14 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
AIUI, it has to do with the context. If you were writing in Yiddish where "[non jew]" merely means non-Jew, then it wouldn't necessarily be derogatory. However, if you're writing a whole post in English but only use "[non jew]" instead of gentile or non-Jew then it carries a negative connotation.

However, in heimish circles, it’s common to use a yiddish word here or there while speaking a perfect English.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 7:22 pm
Rutabaga wrote:

But I say many words in yiddish while speaking in english.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 7:24 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

If someone said to you, "That Chris, he has a real g0yishe kop," would you take it to mean that Chris is a member of Mensa, or that Chris is an idiot.

If I were to begin a sentence with, "You know, the g0yim ..." would you expect me to say "... are really kind, generous people whom I admire," or to say something less flattering.

I guess I think too nicely.
I grew up around non jews.
It's unfortunate others use it in a bad way.

Cheiny

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 7:25 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

That’s a ridiculous argument. By your reasoning, since some people use the derogatory terms “dirty Jew,” or “Jew boy,” does that mean the word “Jew” is a bad word too???
The word means “nation” and is by no means a bad word. This is people bending over backwards trying to convince themselves they’re not racists.

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 7:28 pm
It's controlling people deciding to censor others. They would censor your thoughts if they could. You can say gentile with the same derision that they say g○y.

It's the PC culture run amok. They lack respect for others with a different point of view from them.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 7:33 pm
When you have little boys throw rocks at you and yell [non jew] because you are visiting from out of town, and you don't have seams in your stockings. Mad

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 7:33 pm
I'm as un-PC as they come, but I can totally understand that this is a word that shouldn't be used in public, which obviously incudes social media.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 7:35 pm
Cheiny wrote:
That’s a ridiculous argument. By your reasoning, since some people use the derogatory terms “dirty Jew,” or “Jew boy,” does that mean the word “Jew” is a bad word too???
The word means “nation” and is by no means a bad word. This is people bending over backwards trying to convince themselves they’re not racists.

I would very much object to being referred to at work as the/that Jew. Or if someone used it to describe someone else.
People have names. If you don't know it either ask or describe with actual detail.
It is most certainly, especially here, used in a condescending manner.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 7:41 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
I would very much object to being referred to at work as the/that Jew. Or if someone used it to describe someone else.
People have names. If you don't know it either ask or describe with actual detail.
It is most certainly, especially here, used in a condescending manner.

No one wants to be "That jew" "That [gentile]" "The white chick" "The one with tatoos".
No one really wants to be pointed out like that.

But we do use words like this in other contexts besides screaming over the crowd or telling your friend: "The Jew at work today said..."

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 7:45 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
No one wants to be "That jew" "That [gentile]" "The white chick" "The one with tatoos".
No one really wants to be pointed out like that.

But we do use words like this in other contexts besides screaming over the crowd or telling your friend: "The Jew at work today said..."

Of course, that's offensive. You're identifying a person based on his religion for no particular reason.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 7:49 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
I'm as un-PC as they come, but I can totally understand that this is a word that shouldn't be used in public, which obviously incudes social media.

Used correctly, there is nothing wrong or offensive about it.
This post however, is absolutely correct.

marvelous

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 9:22 pm
Not so relevant, but [non jew] does not really meant gentile, or non-Jew. The definition of [non jew] is nation, used in the context when referring to ourselves as Yidden vs g0yim - the other nations. And it is Lashon Hakodesh, not yiddish.

sequoia

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 9:41 pm

- Moishe! Did you hear? The gоyim went to the moon!
- All of them?!

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 9:46 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Of course, that's offensive. You're identifying a person based on his religion for no particular reason.

Often you need to know if someone is Yid or a g○y. We do things differently such as eating. I also like to know where someone is holding in their Judaism. It is not to judge them. It's because I don't want to say something inadvertently offensive.

Some orthodox women dress in pants, don't cover their heads, wear shirts above their elbows and below their collar bone. I would like to know they are orthodox, so I say good Shabbos rather than have a nice weekend.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics