Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What you consider cute clothing
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Simple1

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 6:56 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Ok but most g0yim dont dress like zara models. I just took my son to the library fir story time- just comparing their outfits, my son is wearing a huxbaby sweater with corduroy leggings and really cute shoes from a jewish shoe store. Tyler is wearing a monster truck t shirt, cargo pants, light up sneakers.
No offense to Tyler's mom, but that is not at all my style, and I wouldn't not consider it a compliment if someone told me that my son looks so cute that he looks like Tyler.
In fact, I have yet to see a g0yish boy my sons age wearing anything remotely close to what zara is selling.

Well then maybe we should dress our kids like G-yim - that would solve some of our community's financial stress. At least in that example, it wasn't a tznius issue.

Simple1

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 6:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
A friend just told me this story.

A's husband had the car, so he picked her up from work.

A said to her friend B, "Come out and see my kids. They are dressed so cute today. They mamash look like g0yim."

What is wrong with this story? Please discuss.

Odd story. But maybe we should link this to the other thread to prove that [gentile] could just be a neutral descriptive word.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 7:01 am
Squishy wrote:
Maybe the kids were wearing denim. This way they could be cute and dressed like g○ys. Certain Frum Jews won't wear denim for that reason.

OP, what were the kids wearing?

No. People don't wear denim since they don't wear casual wear.
This includes: denim, hoodies, and your favorite maxi black skirt with tshirts.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 7:04 am
Rappel wrote:
Well, I don't go for the monster trucks (I prefer button downs, and quiet t-shirts do the job as well), but my son loves pants with as many pockets as possible, and he would faint from happiness if we got him light-up sneakers.

I thought I dress my son pretty classily, and that he always looks put together, and that his clothes are fun and useful for him, but apparently he looks just like any gentile kid.

Ah, well.

Yeah. I like the posters "jewish post" but light sneakers was my childhood. I believe let kids be kids, let them wear things they love. Lightup sneakers and monster trucks and all Smile
Leave the dress up for shabbos and chol hamaed and take the nice family pictures then Smile

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 7:25 am
LovesHashem wrote:
No. People don't wear denim since they don't wear casual wear.
This includes: denim, hoodies, and your favorite maxi black skirt with tshirts.

I was told that the Satmar rebbe said that denim is g○yish. I was trying to figure what the kids were wearing that's cute and dressed like g○yes.

I

Raisin

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 7:26 am
Many non Jews are obsessed with dressing their kids up, as are many frum Jews.

I think not frum or not Jewish kids are more likely to be wearing clothing with tv characters on, which imo are not as put together looking.

Princess Kate dresses her kids very nicely but that is for public occasions. I bet they are wearing primark jogging suits the rest of the time. Very Happy

nchr

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 7:29 am
I have a friend who uses that phrase to describe the Ralph Lauren look or the flawless look which is stereotypically very Waspy and not Jewish. The person probably meant like a kid in a magazine or something like Prince George who has a typical waspy style and look..

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 7:36 am
Quote:
The thread title isn't a great fit for the content of this post.
Please suggest an alternative that will be a greater fit. In my defense I was pretty tired when I posted but just had to get this off my chest.

I don't know what the kids were wearing.

The point about husband and care was just context for why someone would say come see what my kids are wearing (as opposed to stam meeting in the park).

What disturbed the friend who told me the story (and me, too) was the ambition to have kids look like something other than Jewish. No offense to non-Jews, but don't we want to raise our kids to act and look Jewish? Mitzrayim, anyone (didn't change their clothes....)?

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 7:41 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Quote:
The thread title isn't a great fit for the content of this post.
Please suggest an alternative that will be a greater fit. In my defense I was pretty tired when I posted but just had to get this off my chest.

I don't know what the kids were wearing.

The point about husband and care was just context for why someone would say come see what my kids are wearing (as opposed to stam meeting in the park).

What disturbed the friend who told me the story (and me, too) was the ambition to have kids look like something other than Jewish. No offense to non-Jews, but don't we want to raise our kids to act and look Jewish? Mitzrayim, anyone (didn't change their clothes....)?

What is called a Jewish look in many communities is horrific looking - tight little leggings on boys, etc. They are dressed like adult homoszuals. Like a combo of some kid Italian clothes but gone way too far so it looks horrific. So I'd rather my kid look like a Tommy Hilfiger or Ralph Lauren Model with normal clothing than some of the boys in my community.

DrMom

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 7:46 am
Squishy wrote:
I was told that the Satmar rebbe said that denim is g○yish. I was trying to figure what the kids were wearing that's cute and dressed like g○yes.

I

LOL. Popularized by that famous [non jew], Levi Strauss.

bigsis144

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 7:47 am
But ribbed sets or overly-formal-for-the-occasion dresses or too-tight-pants or massive bows are utterly arbitrary fashion trends and not inherently Jewish at all!

The only “looks” I can think of for kids that are specifically “Jewish” are -
- cute kippah and/or peyos
- specifically choosing skirts for girls
- can’t think of anything else!!

Everything else is sooo trend/location dependent.

(I’m an out of towner “alien” 😄👽)

To me, “cute kids clothing” means clothing that is AGE APPROPRIATE - it makes me sad to see kids in clothes they can’t move and play in and get dirty!
So bring on the cargo pants and cotton T-shirts and comfy sneakers!
If you like a more preppy/less casual look, avoid characters or large casual text or graphics
(like the aforementioned monster truck). But that’s all you need!

‘Tis the child that maketh the clothing

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 9:12 am
Squishy wrote:

I

Perhaps that's a Satmar take. I am not stamar. Laugh
I stated the israeli BY reason.

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 9:26 am
delete

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 9:30 am
nchr wrote:
I have a friend who uses that phrase to describe the Ralph Lauren look or the flawless look which is stereotypically very Waspy and not Jewish. The person probably meant like a kid in a magazine or something like Prince George who has a typical waspy style and look..

Nah I was thinking more the baggy ripped jeans, a devilish tshirt, big chunky sneakers.

My kids wear the classy look ( flawless, waspy) no one thinks they look like a [gentile]. They look more put together and sweeter.

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 9:36 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Perhaps that's a Satmar take. I am not stamar. Laugh
I stated the israeli BY reason.

It was a guess.

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 9:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
A friend just told me this story.

A's husband had the car, so he picked her up from work.

A said to her friend B, "Come out and see my kids. They are dressed so cute today. They mamash look like g0yim."

What is wrong with this story? Please discuss.

Once again, someone is posting nonsense on a PUBLIC thread where anyone in the world can see it and point to how we are racist. OP, I don't get your objective here.
Most Jews use the word non jews as a pejorative, not a description. Enough already.

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 9:39 am
She probably just meant very trendy, with-it, and maybe also slightly more casual as opposed to the more formal frum look. Was this person coming from a more insular community?

BetsyTacy

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 9:40 am
The only style of clothing that would be considered "non-Jewish" to me for little kids would be
1. any type of clothing sxualizing little children
2. clothing with a non-rated G cartoon characters
3. skeletons and skulls because they somehow seem related to halloween
4. any non-Jewish themed holiday represented (an easter bunny, a jack-o-lantern, an x-mas tree)
5. A toddler or small child in a goth type costume (have never actually seen this)
6. Any clothing with a suggestive or rude slogan printed on it.

Light up sneakers were very in style when my kids were little. I did not like them only because sometimes on Shabbos afternoons they did wear sneakers and I did not like the idea of light up sneakers even for a very small child on Shabbos. So they were not a practical choice when 1 pair shabbos shoes, 1 pair sneakers (plus snow boots) was enough for a child.

behappy2

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 9:40 am
Sometimes ppl just say stupid things. Tell this friend to ask this other woman what she meant. I find especially with chassidim they can have phraseology that means one thing to them and somethimg else to others.

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 9:44 am
Ugh. We are moving OOT next summer and it’s stuff like this that makes me desperate to just leave already. I’m counting down the days. I can’t anymore with the ridiculous NY frummie culture.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics