Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What you consider cute clothing
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Black

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 10:25 am
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
Ugh. We are moving OOT next summer and it’s stuff like this that makes me desperate to just leave already. I’m counting down the days. I can’t anymore with the ridiculous NY frummie culture.

Agreed. We moved OOT and we love it! My four year old can wear a disney princess costume on Shabbos and no one will bat an eyelash. And my two year old wears pajamas all day. Oh and of course they wear light up sneakers Very Happy

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 10:53 am
She probably just meant her kids are wearing trendy clothes that day (or denim like someone said) as opposed to typical chasidish style. Bad choice of wording at the moment but I wouldn’t think so deeply into it.

amother
White

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 12:03 pm
I feel bad for you if these are your friends

The g0yim in my neighborhood wear Walmart sweatpants and a t shirt with some sort of character

I would prefer not to dress my kids like that

Nebach to your friends and community who don’t seem to have their priorities right

And they think they will have Yiddishe nachas if they are proud to dress their kids like g0yim??

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 12:12 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
I feel bad for you if these are your friends

The g0yim in my neighborhood wear Walmart sweatpants and a t shirt with some sort of character

I would prefer not to dress my kids like that

Nebach to your friends and community who don’t seem to have their priorities right

And they think they will have Yiddishe nachas if they are proud to dress their kids like g0yim??

If the question is what do I consider cute clothing, I like kids in sweatpants/soft pants and tee shirts. They look like kids. Not for shul, of course, but for everyday. I feel sorry for kids wearing stiff clothing, and really really sorry for kids wearing clothing that they would get in trouble for getting paint or sharpie on, or tearing. Kids should be able to run and climb and fall in the mud -- to be kids. There's more than enough time for other things when they're older.

Of course, unless your kid is wearing a crucifix or hijab, I don't think that clothing has a religion. My boys aren't doomed because I would buy their blazers used from gentiles after Xmas and Easter. Your use of the term "[non jew]" simply demonstrates that, as in the other thread, the term is generally used in a demeaning and offensive manner.

nchr

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 5:03 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Nah I was thinking more the baggy ripped jeans, a devilish tshirt, big chunky sneakers.

My kids wear the classy look ( flawless, waspy) no one thinks they look like a [gentile]. They look more put together and sweeter.

I guess that is possible. BTW flawless and WASPY is generally not the same as classy. It is more preppy or boho. Whatever, either way, I definitely have heard many say a child dressed WASPY looks like a Non Jewish person and they mean it as a compliment...

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 02 2019, 9:14 pm
Quote:
I definitely have heard many say a child dressed WASPY looks like a Non Jewish person and they mean it as a compliment...
I imagine that was the point, and the point of the person telling the story is that unfortunately today not everyone aims to build a Jewish home, they are too busy keeping up with either the Goldbergs or the Joneses. Either way isn't healthy.

browniebar

Post Sat, Nov 02 2019, 9:53 pm
Just want to say- my 3(!) yr old has a very, let's say, particular, sense of fashion, and chooses what to wear every morning. She also asks that before I buy her clothes I shud check with her first. I have no problem with that- she's been seen wearing sparkly rain boots on a sunny day or a shabbos sweater on a plain ol Sunday. Other days she looks beautifully stylish and as put together as anyone else. As long as it's not dreadfully inappropriate or uncomfortable I let her be.

My point is that all the posters commenting on how ppl dress their kids- whether over/under in their respective opinions- have no background for their judgement. If u see my girl in sweatpants and a t-shirt- that doesn't mean I'm horribly nerdy or neglectful or dx care abt fashion. But if u see her dressed like a Zara model, bear in mind that I didn't force her into that either.
No judgement either way.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics