Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
What kinds of clubs would you sign your daughter up for?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 7:57 pm
Moved back to Lakewood and looking to open clubs. I taught gymnastics in Israel for a few years. I would like to offer more then just gymnastics since I see quite a few places advertise it already. I want something no one has yet... any ideas?
Some questions I have are:
What is popular with the girls here?
What is the average cost of clubs.? How many weeks, hours, ideal location to accommodate the different neighborhoods, best times of day, etc.

Your opinion matters to me. Thank you in advance!

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 8:00 pm
I don’t know if such a thing would go over, but here there are sports clubs. There is a girls basketball league.
Also, have you thought about cub/Boy Scouts? They are open to girls as well now, and some people here are trying to get a den/pack (I don’t think I will ever know the difference) going.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 8:02 pm
Honestly? None. Unless she expressed an extremely strong preference. I’m super not into clubs or extra curriculars.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 8:22 pm
Thank you Ema of 4 for your ideas. I would have never thought that Girl Scouts would be of interest but I do remember wishing I could do it when I was kid lol

Navy, thank you for your feedback. I appreciate your honesty. I’ve heard mixed opinions about clubs from neighbors. For example some people only send to it for babysitting because they don’t want to deal with their kids on a Sunday while others want their kids to learn something and foster their talents. So I guess I’m trying to figure what is it that you don’t like about clubs?

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 8:25 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Honestly? None. Unless she expressed an extremely strong preference. I’m super not into clubs or extra curriculars.

What does that even mean?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 8:26 pm
I think extracurriculars are awesome.

Tap/jazz/ballet, piano, drawing, clay, other types of art, chess club, nature walks, the list is endless.

Take what you know and enjoy to start with. Now talk to some girls of the age group you are interested in. See what they might like. Talk to some mothers IRL, and see what they would like.

Put all that in a big pot, stir, and see what comes out!

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 8:32 pm
I live in lkwd. Gymnastics are the most popular sunday club from what I see. I send my daughter to gymnastics. Its hard to have a big name on the market but all it takes is one good year where u are a bit cheaper than the others to get your name and reputation out there...

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 8:32 pm
My girls are begging for dance class, so that's what we'll do this year ih.
Does anyone do kangoo dancing/aerobics in Lakewood? It's lots of fun.
Or you can do drama, choir, & dance & put up a production at the end of the season.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 8:39 pm
I live in Lakewood; was only willing to sign my daughter up for clubs at a professional place where she will really learn. I signed her up for gymnastics at a popular non-Jewish place that has girls groups because they are incredible, really teach skills. It’s very inconvenient because it’s far from me but I’m happily driving her, rather than wasting money at a place where she’ll do arts n crafts - that she can do at home. I’m paying $20/class plus $50 per family registration fee. My other considerations were ballet and ice skating because she’s very athletic.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 8:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Moved back to Lakewood and looking to open clubs. I taught gymnastics in Israel for a few years. I would like to offer more then just gymnastics since I see quite a few places advertise it already. I want something no one has yet... any ideas?
What is the average cost of clubs.? How many weeks, hours, ideal location to accommodate the different neighborhoods, best times of day, etc.

If you’re good at gymnastics, learn aerial dance and open a studio here. You’ll have lines out the door. I’ll gladly partner up with you.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 8:56 pm
Drama, dance, voice lessons, edible art, arts and crafts, baking, basketball, ice skating....

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 9:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I feel like everyone is signed up at this point. You should plan for next year. Lakewood has a ton of competition there alot of programs available

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 9:49 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
What does that even mean?

Which part don’t you understand?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 9:59 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
I feel like everyone is signed up at this point. You should plan for next year. Lakewood has a ton of competition there alot of programs available

When do people start signing up?

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 11:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
When do people start signing up?

The programs have been advertising for past 6 weeks. All programs start this week or next

Blessed4

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 4:20 am
My daughter isn't signed up yet! And that’s because of a mixture of inconvenient location and options. She wants to do gymnastics plus something crafty but not finding the right combo. And the places I spoke to don’t sound full yet so the competition is strong I assume!

nchr

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 4:27 am
Martial Arts

Music

Dance is an art while gymnastics is a sport but you need qualified teachers.

Running

Cooking

Foreign Language

Creative Writing

Woodworking

Photography

Kids in the kitchen because kids love it and most parents are not interested

Volunteering where you take kids to the beach to clean up, retirement homes to visit the elderly, etc.

Model UN

Pottery

seeker

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 6:17 am
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:

I'm not in Lakewood but in general not everyone signs up for things so far in advance. There are plenty of last-minute people around, plus people who might not have been compelled enough by current offerings but if the new one is more convenient or offers something different then maybe they'd be interested. I didn't make the decision to send my DD to art class until the week before it started, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Both DDs also enjoyed soccer last Spring but that's outdoors so I didn't sign up for Fall. At one point there was a "Sunday Funday" type of thing in our neighborhood that wasn't a professional skill but offered general activities - one arts/crafts session and one dance/gym session with different age groups rotating so you could dump the whole family and have two hours off.

Anyway if OP is just starting to ponder this now, I'm assuming she won't be ready to start until the current semesters are winding down.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 12:00 pm
I remember years ago, scrapbooking was popular. Is it still a thing girls enjoy?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 12:02 pm
Blessed4 wrote:
My daughter isn't signed up yet! And that’s because of a mixture of inconvenient location and options. She wants to do gymnastics plus something crafty but not finding the right combo. And the places I spoke to don’t sound full yet so the competition is strong I assume!

Just curious, which places have you spoken to. Just wondering what’s out there. No pressure to answer.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics