Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
What vegetables when reheating frozen soup?

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 2:21 pm
When I make fresh soup, I serve it in all its glory with the vegetables with which it cooked: parsnips, carrots, celery, etc.

What should I do when I reheat frozen soup? Omit the vegetables or cook from scratch? And if I cook them from scratch, how will they get the delicious flavor that cooked-in-the-soup vegetables have?

Thank you!

mha3484

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 2:24 pm
I cut fresh veggies into match sticks and heat them with the defrosted soup.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 2:32 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I cut fresh veggies into match sticks and heat them with the defrosted soup.

We have no problem with mushy vegetables (served in bowls that might get stacked, so you might discount my opinion). However, if you are going to put in fresh veg., matchstick or very thinly sliced gives them a good chance at absorbing the flavor.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 2:36 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
When I make fresh soup, I serve it in all its glory with the vegetables with which it cooked: parsnips, carrots, celery, etc.

What should I do when I reheat frozen soup? Omit the vegetables or cook from scratch? And if I cook them from scratch, how will they get the delicious flavor that cooked-in-the-soup vegetables have?

Thank you!

Slice whatever vegetables you like very thin so they cook quickly. Add fresh halved garlic clove and just a drop of water, enough to start the veggies cooking. Once vegetables have started to soften and water has evaporated, add the chicken soup broth and heat through to serve.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 2:49 pm
Great ideas, all! Thank you!

Blessing1

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 3:20 pm
I cook veggies in water till soft, then add to the soup.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus