Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Making Shabbat in an hour...
1  2  Next

Ima4therecord

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 11:26 am
I've heard a few people say "over the years I've been able to make shabbos in an hour"... What does this mean? Doesn't it take three hours to cook meat or an hour and a half to cook chicken lol

Everytime I cook and it takes a few hours (if I do it all in one day) I hear that voice of "oh I could do it in an hour..." I know I shouldn't be comparing to other people... But it's hard Sad

But seriously what do they mean?

BetsyTacy

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 11:34 am
They mean the prep time of active kitchen work, not the cooking time.

mha3484

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 11:37 am
I have been making shabbos for almost ten years. At this point I can get everything prepared in an hour or two at the most but that I not cooking time just cutting, peeling, spicing, etc.

Plonis

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 11:39 am
Chicken in a covered pan on the stove cooks in 40 minutes. Pizza dough makes dense but good quick challah. Chicken soup is cooked within an hour, leave on blech for best taste, use baby carrots so no peeling. Serve with croutons. Fish can cook in an hour if defrosted, otherwise tuna or salmon works. Boxed brownies mix. Pasta salad and cucumber salad are quick. Store bought chumus. Sweet lokshen kugel is fairly fast, make in a square pan because 9x13 takes longer to bake. Green beans drizzled with oil and honey, baked in oven on pan. Simple meat and potatoes cholent.

It’s a rush, simple food, but possible. A well done Shabbos takes me 3+ hours on Friday.

Optione

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 11:53 am
Does the hour include oven time and final clean up?

-Fish- gefilte loaf in loaf pan. Cut in onions or carrots if you'd like, cover with foil (5 min)

-Chicken- cut off anything extra. Lay in pan. Sprinkle garlic, paprika, onion or Montreal chicken seasoning, cover and put in oven. Or pour on sauce of your choice (10 min)

-Starch- wash and cube potatoes. Lay in pan with oil. Sprinkle spices. Use a glove to mix them around with your hand. Bake covered then uncovered.
OR Sweet potatoes - peel, lay in single layer. Spray oil, season with salt and cumin. Bake covered then uncovered. (15 min)

- Vegetable- frozen string beans. Add oil, pepper, and garlic
OR roasted broccoli- spread in single layer. Add a little oil and spices.
OR roasted cauliflower. spread in single layer. Add a little oil and spices. (5 min)

- Cholent - 10 min
- grilled cutlets - put in ziploc bag to marinate. Grill before shabbos (10 min)

Above comes out to 45 min. Dessert can be jello or Duncan Heinz brownie (10 min) with fruit. Salad I keep simple and almost always make dressing on Shabbos.

That's a wrap of an hour. Happy cooking!

pizza4

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 1:47 pm
I'd estimate an hour and a half but no extras, no desserts, no salads or dips, and not including cleanup.
Let's say potato kugel, chicken soup, chicken in oven, ferfel in oven, fish on stove, chulent and eggs.
Most use some of same ingredients so when chopping I prepare for everything.

MiriFr

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 1:54 pm
All the time I spend in the kitchen = 1 hour or less. Even though my meat and soup and.... may take a few hours to cook, I'm not babysitting it the whole time

ddmom

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 2:03 pm
Rice in a pan in the oven= 5 minutes
Potato kugel = between peeling,shredding, mixing and putting in oven, at least 30 minutes!
Obviously if you want to make shabbos in 1 hour you need to make menu accordingly!
I like to peel vegetables, potatoes and soak beans thursdat night.
Friday morning I start soup,chulent, chicken and vegetables in 30 minutes before I start my job!
Dessert and cakes should always be stocked in the freezer! LOL

tichellady

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 2:13 pm
If I need to make shabbos in an hour I’m making fish for the main courses, rice in the rice cooker, soup from a box with some veggies added in, no homemade challah, etc

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Nov 01 2019, 2:28 pm
I had this discussion with a friend a few years back. I was feeling inept because so many people tell me they make Shabbos in an hour (or an hour and a half, two hours, etc) but I spend almost the whole day. She told me, “Shabbos in an hour is for people who think stirring mayonnaise into a can of corn is a salad. Not for people who cook good, fresh, healthy and tasty food.” Don’t know if this is true across the board but it did make me feel better.

LovesHashem

Post Sat, Nov 02 2019, 9:14 am
MiracleMama wrote:
I had this discussion with a friend a few years back. I was feeling inept because so many people tell me they make Shabbos in an hour (or an hour and a half, two hours, etc) but I spend almost the whole day. She told me, “Shabbos in an hour is for people who think stirring mayonnaise into a can of corn is a salad. Not for people who cook good, fresh, healthy and tasty food.” Don’t know if this is true across the board but it did make me feel better.

Not necessarily.
We buy challa, do simple dips only one or two. Salads we usually make on shabbos itself more or less.

That leaves soup, chicken, potatoes, another one or two vegetable sides.
I don't do patchkeing. Don't do desert. We don't like kugels or cholent in my household.

Teomima

Post Sat, Nov 02 2019, 11:06 am
MiracleMama wrote:

I disagree with this. Quite the opposite, in fact. I think if you're making healthy balanced dishes, it takes far less time than most other things. For example, seasoning and roasting a cut up chicken (takes five seconds to assemble, 5 minutes if you add veggies to it) vs breading and frying schnitzel. Cubing and roasting potatoes (5 minutes to assemble) vs a greasy kugel. Steamed or sautéed veggies (10 minutes till done). Whole sweet potatoes baked in the oven takes seconds. Chopped up fresh veggies for a salad takes 10 minutes max. Same with chopping vegetables to throw in a pot for soup.

I can easily get shabbat ready in an hour, even including baking time, though that part can take a bit longer. But I don't really consider that shabbat prep time since I just toss it in a pan or pot and forget it.

yOungM0mmy

Post Sat, Nov 02 2019, 12:09 pm
MiracleMama wrote:

Not true at all. I easily do shabbos in an hour, everything homemade and healthy, besides challah. Start with rice in the oven - takes 2 minutes to put together, an hour to bake, and that's the longest thing.
Chicken stovetop cooks in 40 minutes, and I just skin it all so takes minutes to clean. Brown in paprika and garlic, add tomato sauce, dried herbs, chilli flakes and water, and simmer.
Chicken soup with the bones from the chicken, throw in some peeled carrots, onions and a hunk of butternut squash, spices - no soup mix - cook in pressure cooker, ready in 40 minutes.
Salmon- sprinkle spices and/or herbs, lime juice, spray olive oil, takes 20 minutes to bake.
Frozen green beans, tip into a pan, drizzle olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, soy sauce, maple syrup, bake. Or frozen cauliflower or broccoli spiced and roasted. Can do other mixed roast veg, but that may take a few extra minutes peeling and chopping.
Sesame noodles if you want a side for first course - boiling water from the kettle, 3 minutes to cook, stir in dressing.
Chummous - blend canned chick peas, drizzle in olive oil, crushed garlic, lemon juice, salt.
Olive dip is my only mayo thing - jarred olives, mayo, garlic, blend.
Dessert is blondies- my recipe is one bowl, one spoon, 5 minutes to measure and mix, 16 minutes to bake. Serve with bought ice cream if you need.
Cholent is potatoes, meat, onions, barley, soy sauce and spices, sweet potatoes or carrots or chick peas or brown rice if I want something extra. no frying the meat, and sometimes I don't even peel the potatoes.
Salad gets chopped and dressed on shabbos just before the meal.

Nothing prepackaged, no sugary jarred sauces or soup mix necessary, no frying or kugels... I have done it so many times, I move along like a machine, stick dirty dishes into the dishwasher as I go along and run a quick wash before shabbos, wipe down the counter and the sink, and it's done. All food is prepped from start and finished cooking in an hour.

The only thing that derails me is kids, needing a drink or lunch or a snack or a diaper change or a cuddle...

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Nov 02 2019, 12:38 pm
I make Shabbos for an elderly couple every week. They are vegan and don't use anything processed. Everything takes a total of 3 hours, plus extra cooking time for soup or cholent.

5 different types of salads, like green salad, pasta, potato, quinoa, brown rice, marinated assorted veggies, Israeli, Waldorf, 3 bean, things like that.

I make my own "Magic Mayo" without eggs, using a small handful of raw cashews as a binder, and then add seasonings as needed to make salad dressings.

Soup is either mixed veggie Italian style, or veggie cholent with brown rice instead of barley.

One or two hot side dishes of stir fried veggies, usually zucchini with mushrooms and garlic, or cabbage with toasted caraway seeds and a dash of oil.

Dessert is just cut up fruit, so I don't have to do anything for that. Challah is store bought spelt.

I make enough food that they have extra for at least the next few days of the week. They'll eat leftovers, but don't like to freeze things for the future. Everything has to be made fresh each week.

Next week I might make my favorite lentil soup, or a vegetable curry.

Dina2018

Post Sat, Nov 02 2019, 2:44 pm
Plonis wrote:
Chicken in a covered pan on the stove cooks in 40 minutes. Pizza dough makes dense but good quick challah. Chicken soup is cooked within an hour, leave on blech for best taste, use baby carrots so no peeling. Serve with croutons. Fish can cook in an hour if defrosted, otherwise tuna or salmon works. Boxed brownies mix. Pasta salad and cucumber salad are quick. Store bought chumus. Sweet lokshen kugel is fairly fast, make in a square pan because 9x13 takes longer to bake. Green beans drizzled with oil and honey, baked in oven on pan. Simple meat and potatoes cholent.

It’s a rush, simple food, but possible. A well done Shabbos takes me 3+ hours on Friday.
do you mean ready made pizza dough for chala?

Raisin

Post Sat, Nov 02 2019, 4:10 pm
When I have no guests I can do a very simple shabbos. Rice in oven. chicken in oven baked. Salad. Chatzilim dip. Challah. My family are very happy to have one main course but a small soup takes about 10 minutes to prep. (problem is they need matza balls too...that takes an additional 10-20 minutes)

dancingqueen

Post Sat, Nov 02 2019, 5:12 pm
yOungM0mmy wrote:
Not true at all. I easily do shabbos in an hour, everything homemade and healthy, besides challah. Start with rice in the oven - takes 2 minutes to put together, an hour to bake, and that's the longest thing.
Chicken stovetop cooks in 40 minutes, and I just skin it all so takes minutes to clean. Brown in paprika and garlic, add tomato sauce, dried herbs, chilli flakes and water, and simmer.
Chicken soup with the bones from the chicken, throw in some peeled carrots, onions and a hunk of butternut squash, spices - no soup mix - cook in pressure cooker, ready in 40 minutes.
Salmon- sprinkle spices and/or herbs, lime juice, spray olive oil, takes 20 minutes to bake.
Frozen green beans, tip into a pan, drizzle olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, soy sauce, maple syrup, bake. Or frozen cauliflower or broccoli spiced and roasted. Can do other mixed roast veg, but that may take a few extra minutes peeling and chopping.
Sesame noodles if you want a side for first course - boiling water from the kettle, 3 minutes to cook, stir in dressing.
Chummous - blend canned chick peas, drizzle in olive oil, crushed garlic, lemon juice, salt.
Olive dip is my only mayo thing - jarred olives, mayo, garlic, blend.
Dessert is blondies- my recipe is one bowl, one spoon, 5 minutes to measure and mix, 16 minutes to bake. Serve with bought ice cream if you need.
Cholent is potatoes, meat, onions, barley, soy sauce and spices, sweet potatoes or carrots or chick peas or brown rice if I want something extra. no frying the meat, and sometimes I don't even peel the potatoes.
Salad gets chopped and dressed on shabbos just before the meal.

Nothing prepackaged, no sugary jarred sauces or soup mix necessary, no frying or kugels... I have done it so many times, I move along like a machine, stick dirty dishes into the dishwasher as I go along and run a quick wash before shabbos, wipe down the counter and the sink, and it's done. All food is prepped from start and finished cooking in an hour.

The only thing that derails me is kids, needing a drink or lunch or a snack or a diaper change or a cuddle...

Wow you are fast! Can I have the recipe for the rice and the blondies please?

Plonis

Post Sat, Nov 02 2019, 5:12 pm
Dina2018 wrote:
do you mean ready made pizza dough for chala?

No, pizza dough from scratch. The problem with ready made pizza dough is that (at least here) it usually comes frozen! No time to defrost when it's an hour until Shabbos. Pizza dough doesn't need rising time, which makes it a good choice when it's an hour to Shabbos and nothing is prepared.

If you have time for defrosting, then the Rhodes dinner rolls are an excellent substitute for challah dough - if you leave several balls in a loaf pan to rise, they even look sorta braided!

Whoever mentioned that rice takes an hour to bake - use boiling water and it's done in half the time.

I don't clean my chicken, which makes that a lot faster.

Ima4therecord

Post Sat, Nov 02 2019, 5:54 pm
this is all good advice... thanks!

Plonis

Post Sat, Nov 02 2019, 6:31 pm
My rice recipe (if you want another recipe!) is 1 cup jasmine rice, 2 (or 2.25) cups boiling water, about 1 tbsp oil, 1 tsp salt. Cover tightly and bake about a half hour. Delicious!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics