Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Making Shabbat in an hour...
Previous  1  2

creditcards

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 1:21 am
yOungM0mmy wrote:
Not true at all. I easily do shabbos in an hour, everything homemade and healthy, besides challah. Start with rice in the oven - takes 2 minutes to put together, an hour to bake, and that's the longest thing.
Chicken stovetop cooks in 40 minutes, and I just skin it all so takes minutes to clean. Brown in paprika and garlic, add tomato sauce, dried herbs, chilli flakes and water, and simmer.
Chicken soup with the bones from the chicken, throw in some peeled carrots, onions and a hunk of butternut squash, spices - no soup mix - cook in pressure cooker, ready in 40 minutes.
Salmon- sprinkle spices and/or herbs, lime juice, spray olive oil, takes 20 minutes to bake.
Frozen green beans, tip into a pan, drizzle olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, soy sauce, maple syrup, bake. Or frozen cauliflower or broccoli spiced and roasted. Can do other mixed roast veg, but that may take a few extra minutes peeling and chopping.
Sesame noodles if you want a side for first course - boiling water from the kettle, 3 minutes to cook, stir in dressing.
Chummous - blend canned chick peas, drizzle in olive oil, crushed garlic, lemon juice, salt.
Olive dip is my only mayo thing - jarred olives, mayo, garlic, blend.
Dessert is blondies- my recipe is one bowl, one spoon, 5 minutes to measure and mix, 16 minutes to bake. Serve with bought ice cream if you need.
Cholent is potatoes, meat, onions, barley, soy sauce and spices, sweet potatoes or carrots or chick peas or brown rice if I want something extra. no frying the meat, and sometimes I don't even peel the potatoes.
Salad gets chopped and dressed on shabbos just before the meal.

Nothing prepackaged, no sugary jarred sauces or soup mix necessary, no frying or kugels... I have done it so many times, I move along like a machine, stick dirty dishes into the dishwasher as I go along and run a quick wash before shabbos, wipe down the counter and the sink, and it's done. All food is prepped from start and finished cooking in an hour.

The only thing that derails me is kids, needing a drink or lunch or a snack or a diaper change or a cuddle...

Wow. Your list would take me all day to finish.
Can I have your chumus recipe?

creditcards

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 1:23 am
yOungM0mmy wrote:
Not true at all. I easily do shabbos in an hour, everything homemade and healthy, besides challah. Start with rice in the oven - takes 2 minutes to put together, an hour to bake, and that's the longest thing.
Chicken stovetop cooks in 40 minutes, and I just skin it all so takes minutes to clean. Brown in paprika and garlic, add tomato sauce, dried herbs, chilli flakes and water, and simmer.
Chicken soup with the bones from the chicken, throw in some peeled carrots, onions and a hunk of butternut squash, spices - no soup mix - cook in pressure cooker, ready in 40 minutes.
Salmon- sprinkle spices and/or herbs, lime juice, spray olive oil, takes 20 minutes to bake.
Frozen green beans, tip into a pan, drizzle olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, soy sauce, maple syrup, bake. Or frozen cauliflower or broccoli spiced and roasted. Can do other mixed roast veg, but that may take a few extra minutes peeling and chopping.
Sesame noodles if you want a side for first course - boiling water from the kettle, 3 minutes to cook, stir in dressing.
Chummous - blend canned chick peas, drizzle in olive oil, crushed garlic, lemon juice, salt.
Dessert is blondies- my recipe is one bowl, one spoon, 5 minutes to measure and mix, 16 minutes to bake. Serve with bought ice cream if you need.
Cholent is potatoes, meat, onions, barley, soy sauce and spices, sweet potatoes or carrots or chick peas or brown rice if I want something extra. no frying the meat, and sometimes I don't even peel the potatoes.

Nothing prepackaged, no sugary jarred sauces or soup mix necessary, no frying or kugels... I have done it so many times, I move along like a machine, stick dirty dishes into the dishwasher as I go along and run a quick wash before shabbos, wipe down the counter and the sink, and it's done. All food is prepped from start and finished cooking in an hour.

The only thing that derails me is kids, needing a drink or lunch or a snack or a diaper change or a cuddle...

Wow! Your list would take me all day to finish!
Can you give me your chumus recipe?

etky

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 1:54 am
Slightly OT but I've always wondered when posters here talk about baking rice.
Is that really people's default way of preparing rice? Oven baked rice takes longer and also takes up oven space.
I have a couple of recipes for baked rice (with other ingredients) that I make from time to time and they are very tasty, but my default - and quickest way (20 min.) - to prepare plain rice is on the stove.
It's how I make rice about 90% of the time.
What are the advantages of baking plain rice?

Dina2018

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 7:03 am
Plonis wrote:
No, pizza dough from scratch. The problem with ready made pizza dough is that (at least here) it usually comes frozen! No time to defrost when it's an hour until Shabbos. Pizza dough doesn't need rising time, which makes it a good choice when it's an hour to Shabbos and nothing is prepared.

If you have time for defrosting, then the Rhodes dinner rolls are an excellent substitute for challah dough - if you leave several balls in a loaf pan to rise, they even look sorta braided!

Whoever mentioned that rice takes an hour to bake - use boiling water and it's done in half the time.

I don't clean my chicken, which makes that a lot faster.
Thank you! no ready made pizza dough where we live. What‘s your pizza dough recipe? TIA!

Raisin

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 8:41 am
etky wrote:
Is that really people's default way of preparing rice? Oven baked rice takes longer and also takes up oven space.
I have a couple of recipes for baked rice (with other ingredients) that I make from time to time and they are very tasty, but my default - and quickest way (20 min.) - to prepare plain rice is on the stove.

I have a super quick recipe for baked rice that I make when I am stuck for time and have oven space. Also, since it cooks covered, handy when you are somewhere with a non kosher oven

2 cups uncle bens rice (I'm sure other brands work too...)
4 cups water
splash of soy sauce, olive oil, onion soup mix. (you can subsitiute other flavourings too)

cover and bake for an hour.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 8:55 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I make Shabbos for an elderly couple every week. They are vegan and don't use anything processed. Everything takes a total of 3 hours, plus extra cooking time for soup or cholent.

5 different types of salads, like green salad, pasta, potato, quinoa, brown rice, marinated assorted veggies, Israeli, Waldorf, 3 bean, things like that.

I make my own "Magic Mayo" without eggs, using a small handful of raw cashews as a binder, and then add seasonings as needed to make salad dressings.

Soup is either mixed veggie Italian style, or veggie cholent with brown rice instead of barley.

One or two hot side dishes of stir fried veggies, usually zucchini with mushrooms and garlic, or cabbage with toasted caraway seeds and a dash of oil.

Dessert is just cut up fruit, so I don't have to do anything for that. Challah is store bought spelt.

I make enough food that they have extra for at least the next few days of the week. They'll eat leftovers, but don't like to freeze things for the future. Everything has to be made fresh each week.

Next week I might make my favorite lentil soup, or a vegetable curry.

Three hours sounds reasonable to me. That’s basically how much time I need to make Shabbos. Maybe you and I are on the slow side, but this allows me to be careful when I cook, not cut or burn myself, make sure I don’t overseason or underseason anything, and not go crazy.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 9:20 am
If I come home an hour before Shabbat starts, here’s what I do:
1. Put water in the water urn and turn it on
2. Boil water in a small separate electric kettle
3. Once water in small electric kettle has boiled, put up basmati rice on the stove top.
4. Cook frozen vegetables, using the rest of the boiled water in the kettle
5. Put up eggs to hard boil
(Note: three of my four burners are now in use, and I will need three more to cook chicken cutlets and ground beef)
6. Start preparing chicken cutlets for schnitzel or cooking in a simple sauce that I throw together. This takes 5-10 minutes, at which point, the vegetables are done. Take vegetable pot off burner; put on counter. Put up two large skillets for the chicken cutlets. Start cooking chicken.
7. As chicken starts to cook, prepare ground beef for hamburgers. At this point, hard boiled eggs are done, freeing another burner. Put up one skillet/grill for burgers. Soon, rice is done and another burner is free. Put up second skillet/burger for burgers.
8. Spend the next 20 minutes frantically turning chicken and burgers, setting up hot plate, taping down light switch in refrigerator, cutting up paper towels, etc, setting up candles. If I haven’t already bought or made challah, defrost challah from freezer.
9. Make candle lighting just in time, realize there’s no dessert. Oh well. Clean up, then set table and prepare a salad.

That’s all I can do in an hour and yes, the food is very simple. If I don’t have fresh chicken cutlets and ground beef in the fridge, I need to defrost in the microwave, which takes another 5-10 minutes (in that case I would do it before putting up the water in the urn) and reduces the quality of the finished product. Maybe it would be easier if I had more burners. The oven doesn’t help much when there’s one hour before Shabbat starts because the stove cooks quicker. We like our food well cooked.

I don’t understand the timetables that people give.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 9:31 am
yOungM0mmy wrote:

My time estimates for almost all of this is quite a lot higher. Mixing and measuring takes me a lot more than five minutes. It takes five minutes only if everything is lined up on the counter beforehand. But that takes time to do too.l and has to be figured into the total. I have never had blondes or brownies bake in sixteen minutes, even when the pan is large and they’re flat as pancakes, which we don’t like. More like twenty-five or thirty minutes, and the time needed to repeatedly check them in the oven, turn the pan around, etc. also has to be accounted for.

The salmon fillets I get from Costco need thirty minutes to bake, even when they are totally thawed. Etc

Great that it works for you but it does not work for me.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 9:44 am
etky wrote:

It comes out uniformly well and no pan to wash.

Dina2018

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 9:45 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
If I come home an hour before Shabbat starts, here’s what I do:
1. Put water in the water urn and turn it on
2. Boil water in a small separate electric kettle
3. Once water in small electric kettle has boiled, put up basmati rice on the stove top.
4. Cook frozen vegetables, using the rest of the boiled water in the kettle
5. Put up eggs to hard boil
(Note: three of my four burners are now in use, and I will need three more to cook chicken cutlets and ground beef)
6. Start preparing chicken cutlets for schnitzel or cooking in a simple sauce that I throw together. This takes 5-10 minutes, at which point, the vegetables are done. Take vegetable pot off burner; put on counter. Put up two large skillets for the chicken cutlets. Start cooking chicken.
7. As chicken starts to cook, prepare ground beef for hamburgers. At this point, hard boiled eggs are done, freeing another burner. Put up one skillet/grill for burgers. Soon, rice is done and another burner is free. Put up second skillet/burger for burgers.
8. Spend the next 20 minutes frantically turning chicken and burgers, setting up hot plate, taping down light switch in refrigerator, cutting up paper towels, etc, setting up candles. If I haven’t already bought or made challah, defrost challah from freezer.
9. Make candle lighting just in time, realize there’s no dessert. Oh well. Clean up, then set table and prepare a salad.

That’s all I can do in an hour and yes, the food is very simple. If I don’t have fresh chicken cutlets and ground beef in the fridge, I need to defrost in the microwave, which takes another 5-10 minutes (in that case I would do it before putting up the water in the urn) and reduces the quality of the finished product. Maybe it would be easier if I had more burners. The oven doesn’t help much when there’s one hour before Shabbat starts because the stove cooks quicker. We like our food well cooked.

I don’t understand the timetables that people give.
the pnly suggestion I could give is to cook eggs quicker: you need to boil them and immediately take from the stove, thus freeing a burner. They need to sit, covered for 18 min, then put under cold water. The eggs will be hard.

keym

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 9:45 am
The thing is that some of these hours doesn't include cleaning up or cooktime.
An hour for Shabbos, to me means walking in from work, no food, one hour til Licht.
Challah from freezer, or matza.
I'd open a few cans of tuna to deal with on Shabbos. We don't open cans on Shabbos and we prefer to have fish. I'd make a nice tuna platter with crackers and fresh veggies.
Skip soup.
Cook 2 cups rice on stove. Splash in some spices and soup mix for flavor
Boil eggs
Shake chicken cutlets in spices/sauce and broil them in oven. 10-12 minutes per side.
Stir fry string beans, peppers, mushrooms, spices.
Store bought ice cream or fruit.

I would also put up a quick meat, potato, onion cholent in the crock pot. Or a pot roast with baby potatoes, baby carrots, bottled sauce and spices.

Clean up as I go or using disposables.

Honestly my regular shabbos of fish, soup, chicken, potato kugel, roasted broccoli, brownies, eggs and cholent usually only takes an hour to prep, but I need a good few hours for cooking. Personally I prefer my chicken soup simmering for 6-8 hours.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 9:48 am
Dina2018 wrote:
the pnly suggestion I could give is to cook eggs quicker: you need to boil them and immediately take from the stove, thus freeing a burner. They need to sit, covered for 18 min, then put under cold water. The eggs will be hard.

Thanks! I have tried this; it is Julia Child’s method. It doesn’t work for me, maybe because I cook too many eggs at once, but I should experiment with this method during the week (different size snd material pots, etc) because the more quickly I can free up burners, the better.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 9:49 am
PinkFridge wrote:
It comes out uniformly well and no pan to wash.

Don’t you need to have a pan in which to bake the rice?

tichellady

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 10:25 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
My time estimates for almost all of this is quite a lot higher. Mixing and measuring takes me a lot more than five minutes. It takes five minutes only if everything is lined up on the counter beforehand. But that takes time to do too.l and has to be figured into the total. I have never had blondes or brownies bake in sixteen minutes, even when the pan is large and they’re flat as pancakes, which we don’t like. More like twenty-five or thirty minutes, and the time needed to repeatedly check them in the oven, turn the pan around, etc. also has to be accounted for.

The salmon fillets I get from Costco need thirty minutes to bake, even when they are totally thawed. Etc

Great that it works for you but it does not work for me.

30 minute for salmon? That sounds very well done

tichellady

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 10:26 am
I make rice in a rice cooker. It’s the best

Simple1

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 10:30 am
I do a lot of the above. Another easy one is string beans. I put frozen string beans in a baking dish with oil and seasonings, optional- drop of water, or tomato sauce or soy sauce. Cover and bake. I use whole string beans because I feel like they seem more elegant or shabbosdig than the cut ones.

sub

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 10:37 am
[quote="keym"]The thing is that some of these hours doesn't include cleaning up or cooktime.
An hour for Shabbos, to me means walking in from work, no food, one hour til Licht.

Or prep time. In order to do this everything has to be available.
BTW- egg cookers free up pots and burners and washing a dish or pot.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 11:11 am
tichellady wrote:
30 minute for salmon? That sounds very well done

It works for us. My recipe is pouring Italian dressing over the salmon and baking it covered. Maybe the salmon doesn’t dry out because the dressing has a high fat content. I’ve tried taking it out after 20-25 minutes and the fish is still too raw to flake easily. Maybe the salmon we get is thicker than usual. I don’t know.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 11:15 am
[quote="sub"][b]
keym wrote:

Or prep time. In order to do this everything has to be available.
BTW- egg cookers free up pots and burners and washing a dish or pot.

Yes, egg cookers and rice cookers certainly free up burners! But they take up counter space which is at a premium. I am debating whether to get special-purpose appliances like these or to get a two-burner appliance that I can use on my countertop. The latter would be more flexible. I know there are ways I could make my life easier!

Tzippy323

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 11:27 am
Short cuts that work!

1. When I clean my leichter on Sunday, I set it up for the next Shabbos.

2. When chicken cutlets go on sale, buy in bulk. Make all your schnitzel and froze in ziploc bags in the portions you need. To refresh the, thaw, and then put on a flat sheet, spray with olive oil, and heat in the oven.

3. Buy small new potatoes. Cut each in half and boil for about 15 minutes. Drain well, and put in the fridge in a covered container. Mix with mayonnaise and scallions on Shabbos for quick potato salad.

4. Put up a pot of soup on Thursday night. Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer. Let it cook all night. Put it in the fridge in the morning and reheat before Shabbos.

5. Put up your cholent on Thursday night and set on low.

6. Cut potatoes into small chunks and place in a 9 x 13 pan that has a layer of olive oil. Add garlic and onion powder, parsley flakes, oregano, and rosemary. Mix with you hands until potatoes are covered. Put in a 400 degree oven covered and bake.

An amazing device that will save you loads of time and cleanup is a sous vide machine. You can put up meat and or chicken on Wednesday and have it times so that you take it out right before Shabbos. Put the food into pans and stick them n the oven to keep warm. It requires little effort and the food is delicious.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics