Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
What do your kids bring to school for lunch? or snack?

LO

Post Sat, Nov 02 2019, 8:54 pm
My kids (12 yr old twin girls) are looking for new ideas for what to bring to school. Any ideas? Also, if your ideas involve a thermos, could you tell me the one you have and how well it works? We have tried a few with little success - food was lukewarm at best....

Thanks in advance!

Surrendered

Post Sat, Nov 02 2019, 9:18 pm
Yogart, Jelly or cream cheese sandwich, tuna sandwich, instant soup (if they can get hot water), warm noodles (add ketchup) before school, warm up soup before school, hard boiled egg, cottage cheese, pizza bread- rewarm before, sliced or string American cheese, smoothie drink, milk in container and cereal in a baggie.

LO

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 11:49 am
Thanks! Anyone else?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 12:03 pm
My 6th grader got really into salads, with dressing in a little container. Add cheese or chickpeas or tuna for protein. Carbs can be anything like garlic bread, pancakes, or you can use wraps...
Snacks are more junky, pretzels or popcorners or veggie straws.
Some fruit as well (clementines are getting in season).
And my kids love cutting up apple and putting lemon juice on the slices and putting it in a baggie. Many times they have no patience to wait and eat it at school and eat it right away :/

Ruchel

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 12:12 pm
We do leftovers on friday because no cantina
snack, biscuits etc

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 12:17 pm
Is there hot water available in school? if there is, then noodle soups are a good lunch (not the nutritional aspect, but the kids like it)
noodles that are made fresh in the morning still taste good, it's not hot but some don't have an issue with it. Yogurts can be frozen and then thaw till lunchtime.

Gulabi

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 12:21 pm
I used the Thermos Funtainer at Uni and use Safri bento box for work. I like the bento, because of the layers it suits what I eat (mainly Indian food). Both are really good you can get from Amazon

mommyla

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 12:26 pm
If you're sending hot liquids in a Thermos, warm up the Thermos first - pour boiling water into it, let it sit for a few minutes, then pour it out and fill it with whatever you're sending. It keeps it hot for much longer.

Gulabi

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 12:29 pm
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Therm.....r=8-4

dankbar

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 1:34 am
A 24 hr thermos will keep hot even next day

DrMom

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 5:47 am
scottishjewgirl wrote:
I used the Thermos Funtainer at Uni and use Safri bento box for work. I like the bento, because of the layers it suits what I eat (mainly Indian food). Both are really good you can get from Amazon

I am considering a bento box for one of my kids. She eats little tiny portions of random foods. Seems perfect for her.

Today's lunch:
- 2 mini red/yellow peppers
- 2 mini cukes
- chickpeas
- baby bell cheese
- a tiny square of chocolate

DVOM

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 6:01 am
My boys have gotten in the habit of taking cereal in a bag, or taking whole cereal boxes that they keep in the cafateria; school always has milk.

With cereal and milk for lunch, we take breakfast very seriously: scrambled eggs, pita pizza, pasta, sandwiches, and a bizzare concoction made from fiber 1 cereal, penut butter, and marshmallow fluff that we roll into balls and freeze to make 'fiber balls'. This has been the breakfast of choice for a loooong time.

Gulabi

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 6:17 am
DrMom wrote:
I am considering a bento box for one of my kids. She eats little tiny portions of random foods. Seems perfect for her.

Today's lunch:
- 2 mini red/yellow peppers
- 2 mini cukes
- chickpeas
- baby bell cheese
- a tiny square of chocolate

DrMom the bento boxes are amazing and kids love them! My niece and nephew love to pack theirs and plan different snacks. P.s I'd eat your DD lunch but I'd like more chocolate lol
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus