Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Morning madness
Previous  1  2

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 9:45 am
My mother was a yeller, to my great shame I have also yelled at 2.5y old. I find that when I'm depleted (food, sleep) it's harder to keep it in check. Dh really doesn't understand it. Not something you can get unless you grew up with it. I just read Peaceful Parents Hppy Kids from the library and in the first part she specifically targets yelling and it was so on point.

pizza4

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 2:48 pm
Is he getting enough sleep?
Can he get something to eat or drink before turning to the kids?
When a person feels good and is rested and fed, generally they can act way more calmly.
Dh gets frustrated sometimes and expects the kids to behave at all times and gets lost when they don't. It helps a lot to have routines in place, and removing any problem areas. Are they messing up toys? Lock up the toy closet besides one toy.
Are they getting to food? Lock up the fridge and cabinets or hide the nosh.
And yes toddlers need constant supervision. You can model being calm and gentle with them, and them when they're sleeping discuss with him how that worked for you. This helped a lot for me.
Also pointing out when you see another kid behaving like a kid and how his parent handled it and how that worked. This comes up a lot for me when I teach, I'll repeat scenarios that happened in school and how it was handled and how a different teacher handled something, etc.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 2:53 pm
Thank you!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics