Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Vitamin K shot for baby after birth
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 2:27 am
The OP said she tested positive for GBS and didn't get antibiotics because her home birth midwife said it was unnecessary. This is a classic quick death by GBS setup and the baby's death as described is exactly like my friends baby's death from GBS. Rapid with almost no warning until it was too late.

What an awful story.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 5:04 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
as a cure, perhaps yes. as a prevention, probably not

I very much would like to see a Torah source that discourages preventative efforts.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 5:12 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
Gotta love how everyone here unanimously decided it had to have been gbs and couldn't have been vit k. With nothing to back any of this.

We have a baby born to a gbs+ mother who the midwife decided not to treat and then unfortunately passed away in the timeframe common for gbs infected baby. As women with brains in our heads, we all realize this is more likely than a random unlikely side effect to a vitamin shot that majority of babies revive with no side effect.

nchr

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 6:38 am
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
Can we get this moved to the vaccination forum?

Vitamin K is not a vaccine.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 6:41 am
nchr wrote:
OP I'm very sorry for your loss. Without an autopsy there is no way to say for certainty what happened, but regardless, you experienced a severe trauma. We (imas on imamother) are so sorry for your pain and are here for you.

Did your baby make any grunting noises? That may be indicative of a Strep B infection, etc. You should publicize your story - even if it wasn't GBS because people should know these things do happen and you may feel some comfort hearing from other people you may help (I.e. a woman who chooses to have a baby in a hospital and the baby needed medical care, even if unrelated to your child's situation). I'm so sorry, OP.

The minute she was born she didn’t cry or nurse. Midwife told me to leave her alone. She needs rest. I voiced concern over the noices I didn’t even know it’s called grunting. Hours later the doula called me and asked if she still grunting at which point she wasn’t anymore. I was told to just do skin to skin and check for fever. There was none. And then it was over. Just like that. When dr visited I told her she making funny noices and dr said she is uncomfortable so just keep suctioning her mouth. No one told me that’s classical sign of sick baby.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 6:47 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The minute she was born she didn’t cry or nurse. Midwife told me to leave her alone. She needs rest. I voiced concern over the noices I didn’t even know it’s called grunting. Hours later the doula called me and asked if she still grunting at which point she wasn’t anymore. I was told to just do skin to skin and check for fever. There was none. And then it was over. Just like that. When dr visited I told her she making funny noices and dr said she is uncomfortable so just keep suctioning her mouth. No one told me that’s classical sign of sick baby.

OP, I'm so sorry. Yes, grunting is a sign of GBS meningitis. You were wronged by your midwife and your child's pediatrician. I know this is no solace, but If they have insurance, there is definitely something you are entitled to. On top of it or regardless of status, you can still use and should in order to protect other. Please PM me for a recommendation of an atty. Obviously nothing can bring back your baby and I'm so sorry for your loss.

Last edited by amother on Tue, Dec 01 2020, 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 7:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Wow your midwife sounds extremely negligent. I'm so sorry.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 8:48 am
OP, if you're open to it, would I be able to ask you some questions privately, off this forum? I have given birth at home a number of times and I want to clarify some things for myself.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 9:32 am
I am so sorry for your loss. There is no way now for anyone to know what exactly happened to your baby.

Grunting is a sign of respiratory distress and should be taken very seriously. If your midwife and pediatrician ignored that, if it truly was grunting, they need to be reported for neglect.

I am a NICU nurse and I give he vitamin k shot all of the time . I won't even take blood for a blood sugar check before I give the shot.

Please, find a new healthcare provider and bring all of your concerns to them for the next time. I wish you healing and peace from this terrible loss.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 9:52 am
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
OP, if you're open to it, would I be able to ask you some questions privately, off this forum? I have given birth at home a number of times and I want to clarify some things for myself.

I am sorry my identity must stay private. After losing my baby I showed some anger towards the midwife at which point I was threatened so I had made peace with it. If it meant to be otherwise HaShem would intervene. I am in total emotional shock. I understand people make mistakes but if a person is a professional then he/she should take responsibility but it was nothing like that in my experience I thought I hired professional but they were bunch of clowns who put up a show. Let HaShem decide what to do with them.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 9:54 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
I am so sorry for your loss. There is no way now for anyone to know what exactly happened to your baby.

Grunting is a sign of respiratory distress and should be taken very seriously. If your midwife and pediatrician ignored that, if it truly was grunting, they need to be reported for neglect.

I am a NICU nurse and I give he vitamin k shot all of the time . I won't even take blood for a blood sugar check before I give the shot.

Please, find a new healthcare provider and bring all of your concerns to them for the next time. I wish you healing and peace from this terrible loss.

I needed to hear this to have some peace of mind for next time I have a baby. So how do I go about not worrying about the warnings on vit k shot

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 9:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am sorry my identity must stay private. After losing my baby I showed some anger towards the midwife at which point I was threatened so I had made peace with it. If it meant to be otherwise HaShem would intervene. I am in total emotional shock. I understand people make mistakes but if a person is a professional then he/she should take responsibility but it was nothing like that in my experience I thought I hired professional but they were bunch of clowns who put up a show. Let HaShem decide what to do with them.

Can you create a totally new email address with some anonymous name? I'm not trying to figure out who you are or where you live. I just want to ask you some specific things about your labor and how it was handled. I would post my anonymous email address so that you can email me and not have to post it here on imamother. It would be greatly appreciated.

If you'd still rather not, I understand completely and I'll back off. Thanks!

amother
Green

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 10:04 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Another nicu nurse here. Grunting is a classic sign of respiratory distress, which would be the first sign of a baby who has GBS sepsis. Another sign would be a low temperature, NOT fever. I am honestly horrified at both your midwife and pediatrician who both clearly missed the signs of sepsis.

gamanit

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 11:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I am truly sorry for your loss. Hiring an attorney to sue your midwife and pediatrician cannot in any way give you back what you lost but it can put enough fear of this happening again into your midwife/pediatrician that they will hopefully take appropriate action in the future. They should take potential sepsis seriously. This was seriously negligent.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 12:00 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
Can you create a totally new email address with some anonymous name? I'm not trying to figure out who you are or where you live. I just want to ask you some specific things about your labor and how it was handled. I would post my anonymous email address so that you can email me and not have to post it here on imamother. It would be greatly appreciated.

If you'd still rather not, I understand completely and I'll back off. Thanks!

You can ask here and I will see if I can answer them. No two labors are alike with same result. I know person who gave birth 10x with gbs+ and all living babies. Some she got abx. Two times she didn’t.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 12:02 pm
gamanit wrote:
I am truly sorry for your loss. Hiring an attorney to sue your midwife and pediatrician cannot in any way give you back what you lost but it can put enough fear of this happening again into your midwife/pediatrician that they will hopefully take appropriate action in the future. They should take potential sepsis seriously. This was seriously negligent.

I am feeling awful. I wish I knew all this before I chose homebirth. The guilt is killing me.

gamanit

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 12:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am feeling awful. I wish I knew all this before I chose homebirth. The guilt is killing me.

This isn't your fault. You did nothing wrong. Your midwife should have transferred you to the hospital immediately after birth, when your baby was grunting and not crying. I was once GBS+ and hospital didn't get around to giving me antibiotics on time. B"H my baby was fine; just saying that hospitals can also be negligent sometimes.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 12:32 pm
OP, I tested positive for GBS. My OB told me that 25% of women have GBS colonized in the private part and the risk of passing it on to the baby is so low which is why it's considered ok to wait until the mother is in labor to administer antibiotics. Some people have quicker labors. Technically, it should be recommended that women should be on oral abx from 38 weeks. But since the risk is so low, it's not done that way. It takes a certain amount of time from administration of abx until it takes effect. In some cases, the baby is born already and that is not considered medical neglect.

The reason I'm telling you this is to let you know that you are at no fault. It could have happened to anyone, just because you believe you didnt do enough research, you could have easily had a hospital birth nd been planning to get abx,but for all you know, there may not have been enough time. This did not happen because of your choices, lack of responsibility or anything else.

I also want to add, for all those saying to sue, it's not so simple. If you've never experienced a major trauma that could be pinned on someone, it can be very traumatic to go through a long drawn out case, having to give depositions, be put on the stand to testify. Talk about what happened over and over again, have people deny that it happened, or twist the story around, making the story public, etc. Not everyone is able or willing or should do it, even if it will get them a lot of money. And it will not undo the damage that was done.

OP, I have no words for your pain. Nothing I say can bring your baby back. Hashem should comfort you and you should know no more pain.

Sunny Days

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 12:38 pm
Op, May Hashem send you nechama.

Lavender, babies that mom are GBS+ but didn’t get abx prior are monitored in NICU on iv abx.

gamanit

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 12:41 pm
gamzehyaavor wrote:
Op, May Hashem send you nechama.

Lavender, babies that mom are GBS+ but didn’t get abx prior are monitored in NICU on iv abx.

My baby wasn't monitored but cried normally. (I was left alone in the room with my baby on the warmer for over an hour; I guess I could have pressed the call button if something sounded wrong)
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics