Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Vitamin K shot for baby after birth
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 9:43 am
gamzehyaavor wrote:
Op, May Hashem send you nechama.

Lavender, babies that mom are GBS+ but didn’t get abx prior are monitored in NICU on iv abx.

Not always. They will monitor for any signs of GBS and transfer to the NICU at the slight hint of something wrong and then administer antibiotics. they won't just give antibiotics like that

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 9:59 am
gamanit wrote:
This isn't your fault. You did nothing wrong. Your midwife should have transferred you to the hospital immediately after birth, when your baby was grunting and not crying. I was once GBS+ and hospital didn't get around to giving me antibiotics on time. B"H my baby was fine; just saying that hospitals can also be negligent sometimes.

My baby was making those noices called grunting. She was not latching on or nursing. I told midwife all my babies nurse immediately after birth. She brushed it off saying she is tired from birth. I told midwife I think she is too purple. Which was also brushed off. No oxygen, no oximeter check, no blood test on baby, no blood pressure or temperature taken. I signed for all that in office and was told by her she will asses baby.
I am writing all this info so others can read and know and not fall into trap of uneducated “I know it all” midwifes especially doing homebirth. I am not looking to blame. This will not return my baby to me.

gamanit

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 10:07 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My baby was making those noices called grunting. She was not latching on or nursing. I told midwife all my babies nurse immediately after birth. She brushed it off saying she is tired from birth. I told midwife I think she is too purple. Which was also brushed off. No oxygen, no oximeter check, no blood test on baby, no blood pressure or temperature taken. I signed for all that in office and was told by her she will asses baby.
I am writing all this info so others can read and know and not fall into trap of uneducated “I know it all” midwifes especially doing homebirth. I am not looking to blame. This will not return my baby to me.

Crying Crying Hug

I wish I could give you a hug in real life. (can I send you supper or anything?) I hate when mothers are brushed off. This is so so so unbelievably awful. Something didn't seem right to you and it just wasn't taken seriously. The minimum care here would have been to give the baby oxygen and monitor for signs of improvement. I wish your doula would have advocated for you and gotten your concerns addressed.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 10:18 am
gamzehyaavor wrote:

Lavender, babies that mom are GBS+ but didn’t get abx prior are monitored in NICU on iv abx.

I disagree. This was not my experience, nor the experience of other people that I know who were GBS+ but did not have enough time for abx before birth. They did check my baby's body temp regularly in the hospital, (which I think they do for all babies,) but that is all.

miami85

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 10:26 am
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
You're guessing wrong.
Every pregnant home birth mom gets tested for GBS, and if she's GBS+ gets abx.

Such ignorant comments about home birth, omg.

It could be she was checked and it was negative but she had it at birth, it does happen. I know of a doctor that checks twice for it in the 3rd trimester b/c of such a circumstance.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 10:52 am
Op, you are such an incredible inspiration. You keep on saying you're not blaming anyone and that all is from Hashem. I can't express myself with all that I'm feeling, but I'm really, really inspired. I'm getting all teared up.
May Hashem give you a nechama, and may the zechus of your emunah bring you much bracha.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 11:02 am
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
You put your baby's life at risk.

Plenty of women don't make it to the hospital in time to get both doses. You are supposed to get 2 doses 3 hours apart IIRC.

With my son, I got the first one, but gave birth before I could get the second. With my daughter, she was being delivered as the first (and only) dose of antibiotics was finishing. The good news is that the less time the baby is in the birth canal, the lower the chances are of catching it.

The midwives told me that the babies would be monitored closely since I was strep B positive.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 11:05 am
In Israel, not all OBs even test for it. It didn't used to be as common here in Israel, but it is getting more common. I requested it since I learned I should from birth classes. I was positive 2/3 times. When I gave birth, the doctor in the hospital even asked me WHY I tested for it. (I'm very glad I did.)

OP, I am sorry for your loss. May Hashem send you nechama.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 11:22 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
I disagree. This was not my experience, nor the experience of other people that I know who were GBS+ but did not have enough time for abx before birth. They did check my baby's body temp regularly in the hospital, (which I think they do for all babies,) but that is all.

Pretty much my experience. They told me that they would give the babies abx in the nursery, but I didn't see any documentation that they did this. They did have this monitoring device on them.

Duggie

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 11:28 am
Mostly Northern Americans will test positive for GBS, according to my doc.

I have a lot of experience with home birthing, and if you tested positive and she did not give antibiotics she can ( and should) have her license taken away, that does not make sense at all

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 11:31 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:

they would have been aware of the positive GBS and had heightened awareness for breathing issues

tweety1

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 11:32 am
gamzehyaavor wrote:

This! This is standard protocol for many hospitals in NY is that for mother who tested gbs positive and we're on antibiotics for less than 4 hrs. The others don't send to NICU but give abx anyway. Even though more than one ob/gyn has told me that the real danger is once the water breaks. As long as the water didn't break it isn't dangerous that's #1. #2 is, the same Drs also told me that really if the baby is born less than 4 hrs after the water broke there isn't any real danger either. But, because gbs can be so fatal they take every possible precaution they can possibly take.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 12:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
You can ask here and I will see if I can answer them. No two labors are alike with same result. I know person who gave birth 10x with gbs+ and all living babies. Some she got abx. Two times she didn’t.

Ok, I don't think the conversation will be as productive here, but I'll respect your wishes. I'm asking l'toeles, so I want to apologize in advance if any of my questions sound uncaring.

1) How long were you in labor for before you delivered this baby?
2) At what point did your waters break (before, during labor, how much time before delivery?)
3) Were you given the option at all of having antibiotics, whether orally, v@ginally, or intravenously?
4) Was the midwife a CNM or a CPM? Did she have an assistant?
5) Was the doula licensed or certified?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 12:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

wow thats so unfortunate that she brushed you off. do you mind sharing her initials for us home birth moms so we can be more aware? Or instead, tell us if she was a CNM or CMP?

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 12:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
this is a private forum. If you want to publicize it you should contact the yeshiva world editor or vos iz neias or someone like that.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 1:47 pm
BDE. OP, I am so deeply sorry for your loss.

You did nothing wrong. Nothing at all. While your baby was only with you a short time, you loved her, and did everything right.

Wishing you a little bit of healing each day; wishing you peace.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 8:24 pm
My very good friend went to a Dr (in Israel) who had her swab the gbs test on her own, which is normal in israel.
The Dr never followed up with gbs, so she assumed she was negative.

Well... Birth was normal, but BH BH BH a few hours later on the nursery, a nurse noticed that he was blue. (A neis because three are many more babies than nurses!!!) He was immediately transferred to nicu, screened for lots of issues, found to have GBS, and got abx and treatment. Was in hospital extra days. out was scary because can cause major health issues, such as deafness. Bris was delayed. But BH he was fine.

Ladies, please make sure you find out if you are GBS positive or negative. (Friend had to come in early for all subsequent births for abx.)

I form a few grades older than me from high school lost a baby to GBS. It's not a joke.

OP, may you have a nechama.

Please please do what you can so that this midwife license is revoked so that this doesn't happen to any other woman and baby.

(She does not sound like a CNM.)

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 8:41 pm
I watched something recently that talked about GBS after an infant died from it, and that it is not tested for in the UK because financially it would cost the NHS a lot of money. It shocked me, since its so standard in the US and is so lifesaving.

ahfc

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 6:48 am
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your precious baby.

While the vitamin k shot was almost certainly unrelated to the cause of death, I would like to post an extremely detailed and well researched link explaining the importance and safety of the vitamin K shot for anyone who has concerns.

https://scienceofmom.com/2015/.....safe/

potatoes

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 10:51 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Such a quick death is usually GBS. I'm guessing if you had a home birth you did not get checked for GBS. A friend of ours lost a baby to it.

Im sorry for your loss, but the issue here was not enough intervention, not too much.

Sorry to burst your bubble.
Homebirth midwives do everything the doctors office does. I got tested for GBS (I was positive and during my homebirth had the antibiotics going in IV). I did the diabetes test.
The midwife has oxygen, pitocin, and everything else on her for emergencies. What they cant do is give anesthesia (epidural etc) or do c-sections.
It is recommended you live within close proximity to a hospital if you do a home birth.
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics