Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Please help me tweak my Israel itinerary
Previous  1  2  3  Next

harriet

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 10:38 am
Also, is the shuk (machane yehuda) open and "happening" motzai shabbat (and I can move it to there) or is really better during the week and/or erev shabbat?

ora_43

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 10:41 am
harriet wrote:
If there's no time to do the aquarium the same day as masada and the dead sea, would it be possible to do it on thursday with the blind museum and candy factory (and drop the shuk? and/or move the dinner out to another night?)

So this might be a bad idea, but what about doing it Monday afternoon?

Assuming that it works re: when things are open, which I have no idea about (IOW that tunnel tours and virtual reality can both happen in the morning, adn that the aquarium is open in the afternoon).

You could keep the visit to the kotel itself fairly short, because you'll be around Friday/Shabbat and can visit again then.

etky

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 10:42 am
harriet wrote:
Also, is the shuk (machane yehuda) open and "happening" motzai shabbat (and I can move it to there) or is really better during the week and/or erev shabbat?

Motzei Shabbat there is nighlife in the shuk but I don't think that is what you are really looking for - more the market experience, no?
In that case go mid-week during business hours.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 10:44 am
You can do kever rochel in the evening, not sure why everyone is saying it needs so much time. No need to go in daylight hours.

ora_43

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 10:45 am
harriet wrote:

I'm not sure about motzash but it could be an evening activity. It's a bit of a different experience - in the day all of the stalls selling fruits, bread, halva, etc, are open, at night, all the bars and restaurants are open. But a fun place to visit either way (and very fun when coming from abroad to see all of the different cuisines that are kosher).

Maybe do a walk-through once during the daytime, and go there one evening for dinner. Especially if someone in the family has always wanted to try kosher Kurdish (or Lebanese, or Ethiopian, etc) food.

harriet

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 10:49 am
ora_43 wrote:
So this might be a bad idea, but what about doing it Monday afternoon?

Assuming that it works re: when things are open, which I have no idea about (IOW that tunnel tours and virtual reality can both happen in the morning, adn that the aquarium is open in the afternoon).

You could keep the visit to the kotel itself fairly short, because you'll be around Friday/Shabbat and can visit again then.

Okay so... what about:
Monday: Kotel/tunnel tours/VR/Aquarium*
Tuesday: kever rochel and Me'arat hamachpela
Wednesday: Masada and the Dead Sea
Thursday: blind musueum, candy factory, shuk*, dinner out
Friday: one hour photo shoot, volunteering

with the realization that the two starred items (aquarium and shuk) may be moved to other days or disappear (ie move aquarium to Thursday and shuk to Friday or not at all, if necessary)...

Would that work? (to be clear, I have to be able to get the aquarium in on Monday or Thursday, but if the shuk doesn't happen, we'll live)

Thanks again!

harriet

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 10:50 am
Also... I can move the dinner out with family to Saturday night if that will be very helpful in making Thursday more doable.
Thoughts?

etky

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 10:53 am
harriet wrote:
Okay so... what about:

with the realization that the two starred items (aquarium and shuk) may be moved to other days or disappear (ie move aquarium to Thursday and shuk to Friday or not at all, if necessary)...

Would that work? (to be clear, I have to be able to get the aquarium in on Monday or Thursday, but if the shuk doesn't happen, we'll live)

Thanks again!

You can easily do the aquarium after Kever Rachel + the Me'arah if you don't do Dig for a Day.

harriet

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 10:55 am
etky wrote:
You can easily do the aquarium after Kever Rachel + the Me'arah if you don't do Dig for a Day.

Ahhhh, I see I forgot about that. My kids really want to do it (Dig for a Day) but maybe I should drop it....

ora_43

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 11:14 am
OK so JMHO but I would:

- make Dig for a Day the first activity Tuesday. Head down to Hevron after lunch. Visit Kever Rachel on the way back. This way you won't be rushing back (since kever Rachel is open late, you'll have plenty of time). Also, you'll be doing your most active activity when you have plenty of energy.

- move the dinner out Thursday to Tel Aviv, or to a different day. That way you won't be rushing through the TA area stuff.

Activities to cut if there's no time/energy: aquarium Monday (could be moved to Wednesday morning? in place of one of the other two), kever Rachel Tuesday.

The shuk could be pretty much any day that you find yourself with an extra hour or so. Maybe Friday morning?

DrMom

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 11:21 am
harriet wrote:
Okay so... what about:

Thanks again!

What is this candy factory?

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 11:32 am
I did not read all the comments, but here are mine.

We went in December and the Dead Sea was in the 70s and too cold. It wasn’t that enjoyable. I also found that the tunnel tours was boring for the kids. We did a light show by Migdal David which we loved. My kids also loved R Slifkin’s museum and Eretz Bereshit. Oh and jeeping was awesome. I highly recommend those experiences! (Not to confuse you more!) I agree not to pack the day too much. Just the experience of walking around is unbelievable. So many people plan an exhausting trip, but ours was so nice, relaxing and quality family time. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

DrMom

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 11:33 am
Keep in mind that you'll need some downtime or you will all be miserable (IME).

You are renting an apartment; you will need time to buy basic groceries, whip up dinner, etc.

Also, traffic in Israel is annoying if you are travelling during rush hour, and parking can be a hassle in Jerusalem or Tel Aviv.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 11:35 am
Btw shuk is packed on Friday - my kids thought it was too crowded, but it depends what your kids go for. If it’s too crowded, you can always walk around that area which is nice too.

Twinklejoy

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 11:53 am
Kever Rachel & Chevron is not a full day trip. We went on Friday with a Kosel tunnels tour prior. It all depends what time you start your day.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 11:59 am
I'm getting so excited for you Harriet!
I sure your children will have the most incredible experience no matter what you end up doing.
Taking the family to Israel is my dream.

harriet

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 1:18 pm
DrMom wrote:
What is this candy factory?

It used to be called Lol and Pop, now it's called ToMo or something like that.
Basically, it's supposed to be really fun and interactive (and yummy), they let you make your own candy and it's all kosher...

https://www.funinjerusalem.com/lol-pop-candy/

DrMom

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 1:32 pm
harriet wrote:
Basically, it's supposed to be really fun and interactive (and yummy), they let you make your own candy and it's all kosher...

There are many fun workshops like this. Pretzel/bread-baking workshops in the Gush, chocolate workshops near he Kinneret (not for your itinerary, of course). Maybe look into alternatives to give you more flexibility in your schedule.

https://www.funinjerusalem.com/pat-bamelach/

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 3:18 pm
harriet wrote:

Oh we wanted to go here! Didn’t end up working schedule wise. Btw if you have time to kill before going to airport, Tel Aviv port is beautiful.

ora_43

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 4:33 pm
I think someone mentioned this already, but whatever you decide, remember to call the destinations ahead of time and make sure they are open + tickets are available on those days. Some attractions you basically just walk in, but others need to be booked in advance. Some close down on random days for private parties and other events. And a lot of museums close earlier/later some days than others (and a lot are closed Sunday, for whatever reason).
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics