Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
School hair solutions for dd with fine hair
1  2  Next

boots

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 4:54 pm
DD goes to school every day with a pony or bun looking fairly normal. When she comes home she looks like she spent the day in a wind tunnel instead of a class room. She will not wear headbands and barrettes and clips just slip out. Any suggestions?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 5:03 pm
2 ponies? One for half pony on top, and then put that in the second bottom full pony....

singleagain

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 7:12 pm
I have very fine hair. A braid. Usually keeps it together. But most ponys/ clips / headband slip right out.

But don't pull to tight, besides that that can cause headaches, it also can hurt the hair

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 7:15 pm
Maybe cut it short into a cute bob? It's a neat look for fine hair.

singleagain

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 7:20 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
Maybe cut it short into a cute bob? It's a neat look for fine hair.

Please don't do this against her wishes. I love my long fine hair. The figuring out how to deal.. Is a temporary stage. I hated when my mom threatened to cut it. I'm glad she never did.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 7:39 pm
singleagain wrote:
Please don't do this against her wishes. I love my long fine hair. The figuring out how to deal.. Is a temporary stage. I hated when my mom threatened to cut it. I'm glad she never did.

There's long fine straight hair that sits nicely however it's made, and then there's long fine hair that goes in all directions no matter how you deal with it.

I've had the latter one, and so does one of my girls. While they're young, there's nothing you can do to keep it looking neat if it's long. The hairs are so thin and fine, they creep out of everything. You can use two pony rubbers, numerous bobby pins, baby sized clips and it only lasts for so long. And forget about it if the kids wears a hat, no chance of any semblance of looking brushed.

So until they're older and are able to adjust their hairstyle about 20x a day on their own, keeping it short usually makes quite a difference. It doesn't give the impression of looking so unkempt and its easier for the kid to readjust a headband, or just tuck it neatly behind her ears.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 5:58 am
Forgot to mention, you should use the tiny rubber pony tail holders that come like 1000 in a package. You can put on a nicer looking hair accessory on top, but this is the only thing that works for my little girls with extremely fine hair. As they get older and have more hair, they can upgrade to a little bigger of a ponytail holder.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 6:06 am
How young is your daughter? If she's little, can you ask her morah to redo her hair during the day. Send in some extra hair stuff just in case she loses what she's wearing in the morning. If she's too old for that, can you teach her how to make herself a half pony or pony or gently suggest that she have a friend help her fix her hair during the day?

Experiment with different styles to see what holds up better and what type of hair doohickeys stay in her hair best. For my preschool age daughter I like either a half pony or a pony with a headband to catch the finer hairs in front.

boots

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 10:08 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
There's long fine straight hair that sits nicely however it's made, and then there's long fine hair that goes in all directions no matter how you deal with it.

I've had the latter one, and so does one of my girls. While they're young, there's nothing you can do to keep it looking neat if it's long. The hairs are so thin and fine, they creep out of everything. You can use two pony rubbers, numerous bobby pins, baby sized clips and it only lasts for so long. And forget about it if the kids wears a hat, no chance of any semblance of looking brushed.

So until they're older and are able to adjust their hairstyle about 20x a day on their own, keeping it short usually makes quite a difference. It doesn't give the impression of looking so unkempt and its easier for the kid to readjust a headband, or just tuck it neatly behind her ears.

This. I'm just afraid that if we try to cut it short it will look like one of those static electricity experiments...

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 10:11 am
I love the look of braided hair, very neat and put together.

boots

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 10:13 am
braids last about ten minutes Sad

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 10:15 am
boots wrote:
braids last about ten minutes Sad
Then I guess the bob is the best bet for both of you. Bhatzlocha

JoyInTheMorning

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 10:30 am
ShishKabob wrote:
Then I guess the bob is the best bet for both of you. Bhatzlocha

Would a thickening shampoo or conditioner help?

If you do go for a bob , make sure you go to someone who knows what she’s doing. Lots of hairdressers think you need to thin out hair for a bob, or stack it in layers. That would not work for fine, thin hair. I am assuming you just want someone to cut it to chin length so it can be worn as is, without barrettes or bands or elastics. But you still want the hairdresser to make it fashionable and pleasing; it should angle from shorter in the back to longer in the front; otherwise she’ll look like something from the seventies. Also, I would think no bangs, because that means less hair left for the actual bob.

And get your daughter on board with this. Cutting long hair to short can be really traumatic if she doesn’t want it done.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 10:54 am
Don’t cut it. You need length to weigh down the hair and keep it down.
I used to use the rubber elastics and make 2 little ponies at top of the head. One on each side with a part down the middle using only the hair at the top of the head.
This would keep her hair out of her eyes and it stayed. The back of her hair would be loose and down. If it was long enough I would also gather all the hair into 1 big pony at the back but that usually fell out.
Braids never stayed.
The longer the hair gets the easier it is to style.

cbg

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 10:57 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
2 ponies? One for half pony on top, and then put that in the second bottom full pony....

This or what I call a pony “French” braid
With a few ponies going down

JoyInTheMorning

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 11:13 am
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Don’t cut it. You need length to weigh down the hair and keep it down.
I used to use the rubber elastics and make 2 little ponies at top of the head. One on each side with a part down the middle using only the hair at the top of the head.
This would keep her hair out of her eyes and it stayed. The back of her hair would be loose and down. If it was long enough I would also gather all the hair into 1 big pony at the back but that usually fell out.
Braids never stayed.
The longer the hair gets the easier it is to style.

Re the bolded: That is a good point. It's why I keep my hair quite long. (Mine is thick, but has its own styling issues, like almost all hair.)

Have you tried using hair gel to help the ponytails or braids hold?

studying_torah

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 12:27 pm
Use a texturizing cream or spray to get some grip on her hair. Should hold a style better

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 2:48 pm
Cut it into a bob!! Thin hair is way cuter short. You can do longer in the front than the back. Can even do bangs if she likes that.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 2:53 pm
I have the same issue with my curly girl dd. Her pony always falls out during the day and she comes home with crazy hair.

pizza4

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 3:08 pm
I once saw a good idea that I did for a while and worked well. You take the top half of hair like a half pony and make a pony. Then take the rest of the hair and gather it into the pony with another pony holder. Use the elastic ones. It makes the pony stronger.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children