Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Accutane /side effects/please advise if you did
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 6:25 pm
My daughter got approved to do Accutane, since nothing helped in the past. She is 16.

I'm nervous about the side effects. Anyone had anything serious? Was it worth it? Did dryness last forever or just during treatment?

Tia...

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 6:30 pm
Did it much older (low 20s) no side effects. Certainly no last ones

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 6:51 pm
BH. I'd love to hear from others too.

She is concerned that since it blocks off the oil production, will the dryness eventually cause her to get wrinkles earlier...

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 6:52 pm
I do not think it made me any more wrinkled. No lasting effects that I know of BH. I remember the corners of my lips being horribly cracked BUT it was worth it.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 7:27 pm
Severe severe depression. Beware.

dovebird

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 7:43 pm
The dryness just lasted though treatment.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 8:44 pm
Both my daughters are on it, very late teens.
Dryness, especially around the mouth. Lots of face cream and chapstick.
Also a bit more facial hair growth around temples and forehead. Nothing drastic or really noticeable, but it's there. And you're not allowed to wax during treatment (only pluck or shave, but obviously they wont shave face).
Did others have this? How long after treatment did it go away?

Lizzie4

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 8:46 pm
Very dry lips! That was it

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 8:52 pm
Just very dry, load up on moisturizer and lip balm. Best decision I ever made.

anonymrs

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 8:57 pm
I just read an article about Vitamin B5/pantothenic acid being nearly as effective for acne as accutane.

etky

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 9:15 pm
As others said - very dry lips. This and the other dry skin went away pretty much as soon as treatment was over.
Also, she had some back and overall body aches and was told to go easy with the exercise while she was on it, which was difficult for her cause she's a dancer.
She is very fair so had to be super careful in the sun, also for a few months after treatment.
B"h she did not have depression which was what I was the most nervous about.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 9:37 pm
Thanks all. I also forgot to mention if it was regular or lighter dose? The dermatologist told me to go with regular dosage. I'm so nervous thinking if we should request the lighter one.

etky

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 9:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks all. I also forgot to mention if it was regular or lighter dose? The dermatologist told me to go with regular dosage. I'm so nervous thinking if we should request the lighter one.

So I was also nervous and we went with the lightest dose.
The downside is that it takes longer.
Maybe start off with the light dose and see how your DD responds.
The dosage can always be upped.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 11:13 pm
Hi OP.
I'm from Israel where accutane is much less controlled.
I have been on it 3 times.

1st time in 9th grade for 3 months.
2nd 11th grade for 6 months
3rd seminary for 8 months

Dosage goes by weight. I've seen no issues with taking a larger dosage. I took 50 at my highest but I knew someone doing 60.

I had to get my blood checked every month, if I was upping the dosage than twice a month that month. If they see any issue they will take you off immediately. It can cause liver problems but that will show up in the blood (which is why blood tests are mandatory) and as long as you listen to your doctor you will be fine.

Like any medication everyone has different side effects. I know someone who got very depressed/suicidal on the pill. But again, I know 40 other people who did not. I did not. If your daughter experiences any changes just see your doctor.

The pill dries out your body so the most common issue is dryness. For everyone it's the lips. Depending on the dose or your body it may be other places, back, hands, eyes, etc. There's lotions and eye drops for that.

You need a MEDICAL lip balm. Not just ANY lip balm. Please do not buy any random lip balm you see in the store. My lips were bleeding if I didn't put on medical lip balm like 10 times a day.

My favorites were flexitol, blistex, and forever living's lip balm.
Anything else was a waste of money.

Anon because I hardly doubt anyone else has done this 3 times. I am well known where I live for having done it so people ask my a lot about it.

I later found out I have PCOS and so therefore a year later my pimples came back from a hormone imbalance. I suggest checking out your daughter to find out if there is a root issue.
My pimples though were better after the accutane. And in seminary I had 2 good friends on it and it worked on them.

I only suggest accutane for AWFUL cases. I had acne all over my arms, back, neck, face, etc. and has had them for a good year or two. I do not suggest it for someone who has less than 15 pimples.

EDIT: I personally had no side affects besides dryness. Because of the sun it is recommended to take it during the winter which is what I have done every single time.

s c

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 12:45 am
Both my son and daughter did it in their teens for a few months. Results were amazing for both and BH no issues except dryness/dry lips. Certainly no issues with wrinkles at that age and treatment is only for a few months.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 3:57 am
Pls pls don't do accutane! If you read the insert its pretty frightening. Some ppl have long-term effects.

I had an awful experience on it and suffer from its long-term consequences. Oh and I still have acne... Diet and lifestyle changes have helped me more than the medication did, so maybe consider that before trying something so drastic.

thanks

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 4:06 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Hi OP.
I'm from Israel where accutane is much less controlled.
I have been on it 3 times.

1st time in 9th grade for 3 months.
2nd 11th grade for 6 months
3rd seminary for 8 months

Why 3 times? Did the first time and second time not help? Did you think you were done and it came back?

My son and my daughter did Accutane with excellent results. Lips and skin were dry during treatment. Their acne was cured?

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 4:07 am
Dd did it at 15 and 16. It mostly worked, but a year later everything was back. We ended up deciding not to repeat. The monthly testing was a real burden on the family, and dd was willing to submit to how she felt on it for one course but not more.

etky

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 5:33 am
My DD also has PCO.
We knew that going into the treatment and we exhausted all other feasible options before attempting the Accutane. It was a last resort and we embarked on it only because her acne was very bad.
The treatment worked wonderfully - in the beginning.
At some point there was a regression and even when the doctor upped her dose it didn't seem to be working so well anymore.
When she went off the Accutane I would say her acne was about 50% better than when she had started the treatment.
To make a long story short, she is now on Metformin, prescribed by her endocronologist for other PCO related issues and only tangentially for her acne.
B"h her skin is now about 90% clear with the Metformin and after the Accutane.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Nov 04 2019, 6:01 am
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Pls pls don't do accutane! If you read the insert its pretty frightening. Some ppl have long-term effects.

I had an awful experience on it and suffer from its long-term consequences. Oh and I still have acne... Diet and lifestyle changes have helped me more than the medication did, so maybe consider that before trying something so drastic.

What long term effects do you have?
Every medicine, even advil has terrible side effects if you read the pamphlet.
As long as you have a good doctor, gets screened, get blood tests and be safe you're good!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children