Home

Erev shabbos food for guests
1, 2, 3  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Guests


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


solo




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Nov 04 2019, 8:00 pm
I have a guest apartment and often host my neighbors guests. They don’t join us for meals but I like to offer them something before Shabbat. In the summer I prepare supper food. What can I serve when Shabbat begins before supper time? That is universally liked by kids but isn’t candy or cake
Back to top

rae




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Nov 04 2019, 8:01 pm
Hot potato kugel is always appreciated erev shabbos.
Back to top

out-of-towner




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Nov 04 2019, 8:01 pm
If you make potato kugel for Shabbos I find that making extra and offering to guests usually goes over well.

Tizku L'Mitzvos!
Back to top

ellacoe




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Nov 04 2019, 8:08 pm
I find people like sushi
Back to top

agreer




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Nov 04 2019, 8:15 pm
Fruit is nice, too.
Back to top

BetsyTacy




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Nov 04 2019, 9:23 pm
ellacoe wrote:
I find people like sushi


For me, and not saying this meanly, this should be in the "I feel like an alien thread".
It would never have occurred to me to offer sushi to anyone (and these are not even my guests) as a pre-Shabbos meal?snack?

A beverage is a necessity and fruit is refreshing and very thoughtful.
Back to top

Zeleze




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Nov 04 2019, 10:10 pm
Any Kugel and Farfel maybe

Cakes are always welcome, and as said, fruits are liked by most poeple
Back to top

amother




Ivory
 

Post  Mon, Nov 04 2019, 10:13 pm
BetsyTacy wrote:
For me, and not saying this meanly, this should be in the "I feel like an alien thread".
It would never have occurred to me to offer sushi to anyone (and these are not even my guests) as a pre-Shabbos meal?snack?

A beverage is a necessity and fruit is refreshing and very thoughtful.


Totally agree with you! To go out on Friday to buy sushi for someone else’s guests is beyond nuts.
Back to top

tichellady




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Nov 04 2019, 10:13 pm
I was going to suggest soup or a pasta dish. That’s very kind of you!
Back to top

amother




Rose
 

Post  Mon, Nov 04 2019, 10:16 pm
Can’t go wrong with kugel, cake and drinks!
For a kids menu you can have chicken nuggets and franks in blanks...
I don’t think that people using a guest apartment expect to be served anything. That’s really nice of you.
Usually the person who invited the guests is responsible to serve them food (before and) during shabbos.
Back to top

amother




Hotpink
 

Post  Mon, Nov 04 2019, 10:35 pm
Shabbos is before 5pm. Fruit or cake is more than enough IMO
Back to top

ellacoe




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Nov 04 2019, 10:41 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Totally agree with you! To go out on Friday to buy sushi for someone else’s guests is beyond nuts.


I just find it easy to order a few rolls of sushi. I used to serve mini franks in blankets, borekas etc. But then I was busy getting the timing right. Sushi was just easy.
Back to top

singleagain




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Nov 04 2019, 10:43 pm
In my house we show guests when the drinks (cold and hot) and breakfast stuff is. Why do they need more than that?
Back to top

dankbar




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Nov 04 2019, 10:51 pm
some cake, fruit, water, on table is nice. Really nice, you can add some chocolates. Hot kugel is really special.
Back to top

abound




 
 
 
 

Post  Tue, Nov 05 2019, 1:04 am
hot potato kugel, cake and drinks. Sometimes melon or fruit.
Back to top

Odelyah




 
 
 
 

Post  Tue, Nov 05 2019, 12:00 pm
ellacoe wrote:
I just find it easy to order a few rolls of sushi. I used to serve mini franks in blankets, borekas etc. But then I was busy getting the timing right. Sushi was just easy.


wow so many gracious hostess here!! I am so impressed and inspired.

But I want to stay at your house, ellacoe Thumbs Up
Back to top

amother




Rose
 

Post  Tue, Nov 05 2019, 12:38 pm
Not everyone goes for sushi
I probably wouldn’t appreciate it and wouldn’t eat it
Back to top

solo




 
 
 
 

Post  Tue, Nov 05 2019, 12:38 pm
So many potato kigel suggestions. Isn’t that specifically an Eastern European dish? Is it universally loved by all ashkenazim sfardim mizrachi... My kids love it but am I weird for not liking it?!
Back to top

amother




Black
 

Post  Tue, Nov 05 2019, 12:51 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Not everyone goes for sushi
I probably wouldn’t appreciate it and wouldn’t eat it


Agreed. And I'd be stuck in guest accomodations that smell like fish. No thanks.
Back to top

ShishKabob




 
 
 
 

Post  Tue, Nov 05 2019, 12:54 pm
solo wrote:
I have a guest apartment and often host my neighbors guests. They don’t join us for meals but I like to offer them something before Shabbat. In the summer I prepare supper food. What can I serve when Shabbat begins before supper time? That is universally liked by kids but isn’t candy or cake

Perfect for Parshas Lech lecha! Emulating Avrohom Avinu! May you always be on the giving end.
I agree about the potato kugel, cakes and fruits.
Kudos to you!
Back to top
1, 2, 3  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 3 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Guests

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Girls summer shabbos
by amother
4 Yesterday at 1:26 pm View last post
Pesach Handouts/Food Help
by amother
7 Sun, Feb 23 2020, 8:48 pm View last post
Help with online shabbos robe?
by amother
0 Sun, Feb 23 2020, 8:54 am View last post
Can I use jar candles with scent for shabbos candles?
by amother
6 Sat, Feb 22 2020, 9:43 pm View last post
What type of women's shabbos shoes are "in"?
by amother
26 Thu, Feb 20 2020, 1:15 pm View last post

Jump to: