Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Erev shabbos food for guests
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Odelyah

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 1:45 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Totally agree with you! To go out on Friday to buy sushi for someone else’s guests is beyond nuts.

haha I just think it's beyond nice-- like you got us sushi-- you're nuts!! but in a good way Heart

I think nowadays just as many people like sushi as potato kugel (meaning lots and lots of people but not everyone)

not everyone wants to eat cake either, or even fruit, but both are very nice to put out for guests.

copy

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 2:00 pm
veg salad with sliced pastrami or turkey roll

egam

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 2:03 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Agreed. And I'd be stuck in guest accomodations that smell like fish. No thanks.

Sushi (and accommodations) should not smell like fish. If they do, stay away from them even if you like sushi. They are not fresh.

Odelyah

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 2:08 pm
solo wrote:
So many potato kigel suggestions. Isn’t that specifically an Eastern European dish? Is it universally loved by all ashkenazim sfardim mizrachi... My kids love it but am I weird for not liking it?!

Most people I know like potato kugel and it's a great, quick, filling real food snack on erev shabbos. I have not been in the mode of making kugel regularly for a while, but when I make a simcha and have a lot of guests stopping in on erev shabbos before going to their sleeping hosts, I have potato kugel (usually made by a tzadekes neighbor, or store bought) available for them and it's really the perfect thing. Even when people are coming at different times it's also super easy and quick to stick a piece in the microwave on a paper plate.

I find most ashkenazim of all types like it, some sefardim probably don't (because it's unfamiliar-- but they might like it if they tried it)

[I remember my hilarious friend years ago telling me about her Sefardi boyfriend at the time's confused reaction the first time he saw potato kugel-- "I don't understand-- it's potatoes, but it's like a cake? Potato Cake?" because she was bringing him over for a shabbos seuda and wasn't sure if he would eat any of our food (she had never been to us before or she would have realized it wasn't a problem)]

In OP's situation it's definitely not necessary but super nice to want to go all out like she does, for her sleeping-only guests! But if you don't normally make potato kugel it definitely doesn't have to be potato kugel...

glamourmom

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 2:11 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Totally agree with you! To go out on Friday to buy sushi for someone else’s guests is beyond nuts.

may I ask why it's so nuts? which part?

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 2:14 pm
glamourmom wrote:
may I ask why it's so nuts? which part?

Probably that most people consider sushi an expensive indulgence.

I think it's a very beautiful level of Hachnosas Orchim!

glamourmom

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 2:15 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Probably that most people consider sushi an expensive indulgence.

I think it's a very beautiful level of Hachnosas Orchim!

I agree.

my first thought was that's elecoe is probably well off and of such a generous heart. I wouldn't call her nuts (unless it was like Odelyah wrote).

and now I'm craving hot fresh potato kugel. yummmm

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 2:17 pm
As a guest I would certainly appreciate hot kugel.
But as a hostess I personally might find that too much. It doesn't sound like others have this issue, but every potato kugel that I make is a job- it needs to be done quickly and I don't find that doubling the recipe works out so well. So I'd be doing a whole serperate kugel.
Dunno, I'd have an easier time making drumsticks in the oven.... but don't think that's what your guests are looking for a few hours before Shabbos.

Some refreshing cut up fruit?

eta if someone has some tips for making extra potato kugels I would love to hear them because it really is a very appreciated gesture, and does hit the spot. All those amazing women who bring over kugels when your neighbors need a little taking care of have a big zechus for your efforts!!

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 2:30 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Agreed. And I'd be stuck in guest accomodations that smell like fish. No thanks.

Sushi doesn't smell. What's wrong with you? I think it's a lovely idea even if it is pricey. Sushi is taking gracious hosting to another level. I am sure you can throw out your food garbage in the kitchen.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 2:32 pm
Buy some packaged pastries and leave out some water!
If they are invited to someone else they will be eating all shabbos!

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 2:41 pm
If they're not your guests, they're not expecting you to feed them.
I'm not a huge Kugel fan but this thread made me in the mood of it.
Maybe I'll make some this Friday.

(As a guest I wouldn't expect it, but would surely appreciate it. Sometimes people want normal food before the meal, especially after traveling.)

amother
Black

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 2:43 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
Sushi doesn't smell. What's wrong with you? I think it's a lovely idea even if it is pricey. Sushi is taking gracious hosting to another level. I am sure you can throw out your food garbage in the kitchen.

Nothing is wrong with me, thanks very much for your concern.

I feel bad knowing that my hostess went to the expense of buying something I won't eat, and, believe it or not, I am aware of the smell, even when sushi is fresh.

If I find sushi in my room, I can discreetly return it to the hostess' fridge, but that feels ungrateful. On the other hand, I don't want it sitting out all of shabbos. I certainly don't want to throw out a perfectly good sushi platter. Sushi - or any perishable - puts guests in an awkward situation.

When we have guests, I put out a variety of foods in the kitchen, along with tea and coffee and paper goods. I also put a water bottle in the bedroom.

I'm glad you like sushi and hope you enjoy it whenever you have the chance.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 3:24 pm
I don't think hot food is necessary at all, but if you don't want to make potato kugel but want something hot, ow about a bag of frozen French fries that you throw in the oven? Or salsa and tortilla chips (not hot, but not total junk food).

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 3:34 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Nothing is wrong with me, thanks very much for your concern.

I feel bad knowing that my hostess went to the expense of buying something I won't eat, and, believe it or not, I am aware of the smell, even when sushi is fresh.

If I find sushi in my room, I can discreetly return it to the hostess' fridge, but that feels ungrateful. On the other hand, I don't want it sitting out all of shabbos. I certainly don't want to throw out a perfectly good sushi platter. Sushi - or any perishable - puts guests in an awkward situation.

When we have guests, I put out a variety of foods in the kitchen, along with tea and coffee and paper goods. I also put a water bottle in the bedroom.

I'm glad you like sushi and hope you enjoy it whenever you have the chance.

For someone worried about not being gracious, you were nasty saying you didn't want to be stuck in smelly accommodations.

amother [ Black ] wrote:

Odelyah

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 4:21 pm
If I was an ellacoe level hostess and wanted to offer guests erev shabbos sushi I wouldn't put it in their bedroom (or any other food for that matter) I would set it out in the kitchen and offer it to them when they arrived. If they declined for any reason (guests can always politely decline any food offered for any reason) then I would just stick it in the fridge, like I would with any leftover kugel or any other perishable food. (Actually who am I kidding my kids would eat any extra sushi in 5 mins)

but no one is saying that anyone has to offer anyone sushi! but just that there really is no downside for the super gracious over the top ellacoe type hostess who wants to! no need to overthink it, really! everyone can enjoy their sushi/kugel/french fries/fruit and shalom al yisrael

Raisin

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 4:58 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
I don't think hot food is necessary at all, but if you don't want to make potato kugel but want something hot, ow about a bag of frozen French fries that you throw in the oven? Or salsa and tortilla chips (not hot, but not total junk food).

My oven is usually very busy friday afternoon.

I think some type of cake or cookies, fruit and some hot or cold drinks is perfect. No need to serve real food when in an hour or two your guests will be sitting down to a huge meal.

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 6:05 pm
I’d put out non perishables: assorted crackers, cookies, long-lived fruit, bottled beverages, coffer, tea, granola bars, that sort of thing. Kugel they will
presumably get at the Shabbos table.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 6:08 pm
I’d put out a nice nut and dried fruit platter
Also some cake and coffee/tea

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 6:30 pm
BetsyTacy wrote:
For me, and not saying this meanly, this should be in the "I feel like an alien thread".
It would never have occurred to me to offer sushi to anyone (and these are not even my guests) as a pre-Shabbos meal?snack?

A beverage is a necessity and fruit is refreshing and very thoughtful.

I'm with her. To those who are comparing this situation to Avraham Avinu providing food for his guests: those were travelers who were very far from home. If they brought food with them for the journey, it would have been eaten long ago or spoiled. There was no quicky mart on the corner to get snacks. Unless someone is coming to your home directly from the airport having been on a long flight, I just don't understand why in the world anyone would provide the guests with anything elaborate, especially hot food, when they will be given a good hot meal soon after. People on imamother wonder "how people do it" and "where do you find the time to do x,y,z". Well this is something that is so far from necessary, it is not even in the same country.

solo

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 11:06 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
I'm with her. To those who are comparing this situation to Avraham Avinu providing food for his guests: those were travelers who were very far from home. If they brought food with them for the journey, it would have been eaten long ago or spoiled. There was no quicky mart on the corner to get snacks. Unless someone is coming to your home directly from the airport having been on a long flight, I just don't understand why in the world anyone would provide the guests with anything elaborate, especially hot food, when they will be given a good hot meal soon after. People on imamother wonder "how people do it" and "where do you find the time to do x,y,z". Well this is something that is so far from necessary, it is not even in the same country.

Both when I was a kid and now as a mom of kids I appreciate having food available before shabbos. When ur hungry ur hungry and it doesn’t matter that in 2 hrs Well be served a large meal. That’s just not something my kids can understand. Matter o fact I serve my kids a pre seudah snack (or supper when shabbos starts later) every week just so they don’t come to the table Feeling hungry and impatient.
I would say most of my adult guests politely decline any offers of food. And most guests with families accept and are happy to have something to feed their kids
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics