Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Cholent without expensive meat
Previous  1  2

lkwdlady

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 5:40 pm
If you live in Lakewood the npgs store on Main Street has meat ends that are very fatty and great in Chulent for $2-$3 a pack depending on size.

cbg

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 5:55 pm
Chicken gizzards
Just don’t add salt

chanatron1000

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 6:02 pm
Expensive meat actually isn't usually good for cholent, because "better" meat is usually for grilling, whereas the "worse" meat needs to be cooked overnight in order to taste best.

abs

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 6:08 pm
Hot sauce. Not enough to make it hot, just to give a nice flavor.

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 6:25 pm
Same way you make other things taste good:plenty of seasonings. Fried onion and garlic are only the beginning. Some people make delicious cholent totally vegan, you know. You can also use chicken or chicken pupiks if you can find them and they don’t gross you out.

cinnabon

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 6:34 pm
Sauté onions low and slow for approx 45 min. Gets super carmelized and adds delicious flavor . Season chulent meat (cheap cut) with salt and pepper and sear for 2 min each side.
Add drop of brown sugar and prima Mr flavor spice

bsy

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 6:44 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Huh? Moishas in Brooklyn has diffrent cuts of meat for $6 a lb.

It's not just bones. there is meat on it too. It's called beef rib bones in glatt mart.

DVOM

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 6:46 pm
If things are tight I use a bag of dirt cheap turkey bones. Sauted onions, garlic and mushrooms give a deep meaty flavor. I also use a drop of honey and bbq sauce. Delish!!

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 7:10 pm
DVOM wrote:
If things are tight I use a bag of dirt cheap turkey bones. Sauted onions, garlic and mushrooms give a deep meaty flavor. I also use a drop of honey and bbq sauce. Delish!!

Do turkey bones disintegrate?

yummypancake

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 7:40 pm
How to make cholent in a crockpot I make it Friday. Morning but it’s doesn’t get cooked up it’s on high the whole time

Lita

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 7:55 pm
In place of meat, just use a pack of the cheapest bones your store has, plus one pour of olive oil.

Einikel

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 8:08 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
For a meaty flavor in meat or parve cholent, use the brown "Baby Bella" mushrooms, Porcini, or Shitake mushrooms. A combination would add extra depth of flavor and texture. Keep the mushrooms in fairly big pieces, about an inch or so.

You can sautee them with onions before you start the cholent if you want. If you're feeling lazy or rushed, you can just dump them in, it won't ruin anything.

For meat, I've always bought the very cheapest cut I can find. It works well for beef stew, too. Anything that can go in a crockpot overnight is going to come out nice and tender, so don't waste your money on fancy cuts.

Thanks for the great idea. I made my parve Cholent with mushrooms and it came out delicious!

thanks

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 9:14 pm
Tzivia18 wrote:
Use chicken fat, chicken bones and gravy. You have to start in the morning to let the magic happen. Let the chicken fat simmer for a long time with onions. Like a few hours. Then add your bones and let that sit for a long time. Then, like 1-2 hours before shabbos, add gravy, potatoes, barley, soaked beans and spices. It's delicious.

Do you use a crock pot for that? Sound yummy.

Ihatepotatoes

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 10:42 pm
My husband makes the Cholent, and since we're not huge meat people, we don't really put much in. But his go tos are coriander, cumin, turmeric, and a spot of ginger. Plus Worcestershire and Barbecue sauce.

chocolatecake

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 10:48 pm
I make a chicken Cholent. I throw in chicken legs and I don’t clean them at all. Super easy and all the fat gives it a great flavor.

Maryann

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 10:58 pm
Tzivia 18
Where do u get chicken fat and gravy from?
Do u just put chicken and bones in crock pot?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus