Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Weighted Blanket Questions

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 7:53 am
I'm looking for a weighted blanket for myself and have a few questions.

Can you put it on top of other blankets or are you supposed wrap yourself inside it like a cocoon?

How warm are they?

Does it help you (or your family member) sleep better?

Any brand recs?

Cheshire cat

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 8:02 am
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....psc=1

Bought this one for ds10, after seeing a good deal for it on dansdeals.
He has insomnia (as well as sensory issues), and could only fall asleep with 3 mg melatonin. I was very uneasy about this. I told him that this blanket is especially designed to help kids like him fall asleep easily, and halved his melatonin dose at the same time..
I don't know whether it was the power of suggestion or what, but the kid is now taking only 1 mg and sleeping well.

It is well crafted and washes well.
I've seen it since on Dan's deals, so it probably goes on sale every once in a while.

shanie5

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 7:03 pm
The weigted blanket I have is inside a flannel type cover and is very warm. Sometimes I use an extra blanket under it, sometimes not. I didn't use it much in the summer unless the AC was on high.

A weighted blanket should be about 10% of a persons body weight. I just got lucky and found a 15lb blanket for under $50, so I bought that. I love it. My kids like them too.

Here is a thread I started about weighted blankets, that gives more of what to look for:

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....55675

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 7:12 pm
I know you're asking for yourself, but for anyone reading this thread in the future, please be very careful when using a weighted blanket with a child. There are safety concerns and it should only be used for about 20 minutes to help them fall asleep and then it needs to be removed! And it needs to lie on the bed in a way that it doesn't too much pressure on them so it shouldn't be hanging off the side of the bed.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 7:41 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
I know you're asking for yourself, but for anyone reading this thread in the future, please be very careful when using a weighted blanket with a child. There are safety concerns and it should only be used for about 20 minutes to help them fall asleep and then it needs to be removed! And it needs to lie on the bed in a way that it doesn't too much pressure on them so it shouldn't be hanging off the side of the bed.

Can you post a link to where you saw this? I couldn't find any dangers with weighted blankets, aside for not using them for infants and not putting them over your head because of suffocation risks. Research seemed to show that they are very beneficial.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 7:47 pm
Costco has a really nice one right now at a very good price.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics