Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Anxiety and stuttering

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 2:45 pm
My 4 year old son suffers from anxiety which has led to him developing a stutter.
He’s had the stutter for over a year with a break in the middle during the summer when he was less stressed.
His playgroup is wonderful. His teachers are great.
I am very calm with him. I feel like I’m doing everything I can do keep him at ease but school and making new friends is stressful for him.
Is there anything else I can do to ease his anxiety?
Does he need therapy?

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 5:23 pm
Anxiety and stuttering, that is exactly how my son presented at 4 when he was diagnosed with pandas by a well known neurologist. He is bh bh doing so so much better now with treatment, the anxiety is gone and the stuttering only comes back when he is sick with strep or exposed to someone with strep. I am so glad we caught this, because stuttering is almost impossible to treat with therapy or other behavioral techniques.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 5:29 pm
My son used to also stutter from strep. It started around 3.5/4 and came on with some anxieties. Even if someone else in the house would be sick and he was asymptomatic, he would get a stutter. OP check for strep or PANS.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 6:03 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Anxiety and stuttering, that is exactly how my son presented at 4 when he was diagnosed with pandas by a well known neurologist. He is bh bh doing so so much better now with treatment, the anxiety is gone and the stuttering only comes back when he is sick with strep or exposed to someone with strep. I am so glad we caught this, because stuttering is almost impossible to treat with therapy or other behavioral techniques.

I’m amazed that a neurologist is helping you with PANDAS, which neurologist is this?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 7:20 pm
I did wonder if it was connected to strep. Last year when he started stuttering he had been exposed to strep but never diagnosed with it. Eventually after many months the stutter went away during that time he took antibiotics twice for different things.
This year he was exposed to strep about a week before the stutter came back.

What is the treatment for this?

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 7:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I did wonder if it was connected to strep. Last year when he started stuttering he had been exposed to strep but never diagnosed with it. Eventually after many months the stutter went away during that time he took antibiotics twice for different things.
This year he was exposed to strep about a week before the stutter came back.

What is the treatment for this?
You need to get to a pandas literate dr for a diagnosis and treatment. First lines of treatment in mainstream medication is long term antibiotics, then ivig, sometimes steroids. There are many alternative treatments that people find very helpful too.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 7:28 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
I’m amazed that a neurologist is helping you with PANDAS, which neurologist is this?
Dr. Rosario Trifilleti in NJ.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics