Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Insurance Paying for Routine Eye Exam

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 9:15 pm
I called my insurance company today and was notified that they won’t pay for a visit to a opthomologist for routine eye exam for glasses. Did you ever hear of this before?

tweety1

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 9:18 pm
Which insurance? When did you have one last? I know there are some companies that only give you 1 exam within a certain time period.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 9:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I called my insurance company today and was notified that they won’t pay for a visit to a opthomologist for routine eye exam for glasses. Did you ever hear of this before?

They allow you to go for health concerns not vision checks, which are only covered if you purchase additional vision insurance.
FYI vision insurance is usually not worth it if you don't need new glasses each year. Cost of annual exams are minimal.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Nov 05 2019, 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 9:23 pm
Most insurance doesn't cover vision, just wellness of your eyes.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 05 2019, 10:05 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
Most insurance doesn't cover vision, just wellness of your eyes.

They said if you are walking down fifth avenue and somebody pokes you with an umbrella they will cover it.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 3:40 pm
Where would you suggest to go for an eye exam that won’t break the bank in Brooklyn?

momomany

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 3:57 pm
They will usually pay for an eye checkup (vision....glasses prescription.) At an optometrist

momomany

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 3:58 pm
I have used Classic Vision in Boro Park and been happy. Most eyeglass shops have an optometrist that comes in to do eye exams covered by insurance

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 4:27 pm
momomany wrote:
I have used Classic Vision in Boro Park and been happy. Most eyeglass shops have an optometrist that comes in to do eye exams covered by insurance

My insurance won’t pay anything

momomany

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 4:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My insurance won’t pay anything

Did you ask about optometry (not ophthalmology)?
If you do pay then optometry should be cheaper than the other

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 4:38 pm
[quote="momomany"]Did you ask about optometry (not ophthalmology)?
If you do pay then optometry should be cheaper than the other[/quote
No routine eye exam

pizzapie

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 5:40 pm
My health insurance covers one eye exam a year. I guess it would depend on your insurance plan.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 6:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Where would you suggest to go for an eye exam that won’t break the bank in Brooklyn?

Go to the place you buy your glasses, as exams are sometimes included in the price of what you're purchasing. Call and find out first.

mpwife

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 9:59 pm
I used Masha Friedman of One Two I- Care and she was great! She has evening and weekend hours and will work with your schedule. I came with two young children and she was patient, diligent, and thorough in her examination. She also had an impressive display of frame selections. If you're looking for honesty and not getting ripped off, I highly recommend her.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries