Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Newborn sleeping schedule
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 9:20 am
Thank you, everyone, for the awesome advice.
My new POA is to give him a little formula after I nurse him to sleep, and then try the pacifier thing.

tichellady

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 9:23 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He wakes up to nurse but goes right back to sleep after. I'm not up with him the whole night, that's what I'm saying.
He's bh such a good, cute, lil muffin. He just needs to eat every 2 hours at night vs his regular 3 hours during the day. And I'm not sure why or what to do. It's very hard for me to wake up every 2 hours and then be up nursing for 30 of those minutes.

This is actually really really good for that age!! You are lucky! It’s very normal and healthy. The issue is that you have to work but I don’t think it’s really healthy to expect him to Change his eating habits at this age. 2 month olds need to eat frequently. Most pediatricians do not believe in cutting out feedings at this age. You can try offering him to nurse more frequently during the day.

tichellady

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 9:26 am
If you think your baby has tummy issues then introducing formula is not a good idea.

I feel for you! I think you need to figure out how to get through the next few months while waking so often. It’s very hard. I do think it’s part of having a baby ( unless you can hire a baby nurse or have your husband do a feeding). Good luck

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 9:30 am
Tichellady, many time's a nursing babys stomach issues are caused by what the mom is eating. So formula might actually be good for the baby. There's sensitive tummy formula that great.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 9:37 am
OP - you've got some good advice here. To reiterate another poster "sleeping through the night" means sleeping without waking up to eat - though it really means, for a small infant, sleeping without interruption at night time for maybe 6-7 hours - which isn't the norm for a 2 month old.

tichellady

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 9:46 am
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
Tichellady, many time's a nursing babys stomach issues are caused by what the mom is eating. So formula might actually be good for the baby. There's sensitive tummy formula that great.

This is actually not true for the most part. I had a baby with a lot of eating issues and I spoke to many doctors and did a lot of research. Op can try formula just letting her know that it may have the opposite effect of what she’s trying to accomplish.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 10:21 am
I would not give formula to a 2m especially if he already has issues. I would try a pacifier first. Not every time but maybe every other. Even my 3m wakes at 5 or 6am sometimes and I push him off with a pacifier and snuggling until he wakes again at 7 and we start our day then.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 10:23 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
I would not give formula to a 2m especially if he already has issues. I would try a pacifier first. Not every time but maybe every other. Even my 3m wakes at 5 or 6am sometimes and I push him off with a pacifier and snuggling until he wakes again at 7 and we start our day then.

Or just feed your newborn every few hours the way they were made to be fed?

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 10:36 am
I'm sure many of my babies wake every 2 hours to nurse. Thing is, I co-sleep. I half wake up, help them latch on, and fall back asleep. They nurse as much as they need to. I get a full night's sleep.

I don't know how mother's do it if you have to get out of bed, take the baby out of the crib, sit up in a chair, nurse, return baby to crib and then go back to bed!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 10:38 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
I'm sure many of my babies wake every 2 hours to nurse. Thing is, I co-sleep. I half wake up, help them latch on, and fall back asleep. They nurse as much as they need to. I get a full night's sleep.

I don't know how mother's do it if you have to get out of bed, take the baby out of the crib, sit up in a chair, nurse, return baby to crib and then go back to bed!

You sound like my mother! That is excellent advice, but I would just be too paranoid and wouldn't sleep the entire night! So it's a bit counterintuitive in my case

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 10:41 am

I do the same but do you find that they eat more frequently this way? Because my newborn doesn’t take in a full feeding like this so I find I’m nursing him non-stop from 4-8 am. I’m okay with this for now but does it become a habit? How do your kids stop eating at night eventually?

tothepoint

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 10:42 am
As other mothers have posted, this sounds like an habitual pattern

Baby wakes up, he's not sure how to fall back asleep. Oh, wait! Mommy has to nurse me back to sleep, right.

Although I think 2 months is rather young to expect a baby to sleep long stretches at night, they are definitely sleep-trainable.

I say to teach your baby to fall asleep independently. Do you always nurse him to sleep, or can you lay him down awake and he'll fall asleep? Can you try to have him fully awake during night feeds? I used to turn my lamp on so my babies would be fully awake during feedings.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 10:46 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks!
No, he is my second kid. Mylicon because he's colicky and it helps. Ranitidine was prescribed. I dont give it every night.
I cant just feed him whenever because I work FT. He eats a lot! A full feeding is like 30 min long, and he's drinking a lot the whole time. If I wake him during his day naps, he'll be overtired and wont sleep at night.

How many times a day does he feed, and how many oz in the bottle when you're at work?

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 10:50 am
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
I do the same but do you find that they eat more frequently this way? Because my newborn doesn’t take in a full feeding like this so I find I’m nursing him non-stop from 4-8 am. I’m okay with this for now but does it become a habit? How do your kids stop eating at night eventually?

As they get older they tend to sleep longer stretches on their own. At a certain point I do put them in a pack n play next to my bed.

For a few kids I've had to actively train them to fall back asleep on their own, by breaking their latch after a few seconds instead of letting them fall asleep nursing. It takes a few days or a few weeks, I'm not so consistent - they learn anyhow. But so far all of my kids sleep more or less through the night (ages 1-14).

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 10:51 am
Read the baby whispers solves all your problems written by Tracy Hogg. It's an absolute Must have for all moms out there! it doesn't matter how many children you had already. If you follow her methods, it will change your quality of life.
Specifically here, sounds like you need to feed more during the day. When you baby wakes up at night, before 4 hours after the last feed, pacify him or pat him to sleep rather than feeding. That should stop the waking habit after a couple of nights.
G'luck!!

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 10:53 am
tothepoint wrote:
As other mothers have posted, this sounds like an habitual pattern

Baby wakes up, he's not sure how to fall back asleep. Oh, wait! Mommy has to nurse me back to sleep, right.

Although I think 2 months is rather young to expect a baby to sleep long stretches at night, they are definitely sleep-trainable.

I say to teach your baby to fall asleep independently. Do you always nurse him to sleep, or can you lay him down awake and he'll fall asleep? Can you try to have him fully awake during night feeds? I used to turn my lamp on so my babies would be fully awake during feedings.

I NEVER want my babies up during night feedings! Then they might get the idea that they should be getting up to play! My kids are very clear from a young age that night is for sleeping. I have very few occasions where a baby wakes up in the middle of the night and is moving around and playing. That is a surefire way to cause me sleep deprivation!

OP, maybe try finding a co-sleeper that makes you feel safe. I really think that co-sleeping will make this MUCH easier, you will be able to work with your baby instead of fighting his nature.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 10:56 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
Read the baby whispers solves all your problems written by Tracy Hogg. It's an absolute Must have for all moms out there! it doesn't matter how many children you had already. If you follow her methods, it will change your quality of life.
Specifically here, sounds like you need to feed more during the day. When you baby wakes up at night, before 4 hours after the last feed, pacify him or pat him to sleep rather than feeding. That should stop the waking habit after a couple of nights.
G'luck!!

This

tichellady

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 11:04 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
G'luck!!

This book was terrible for me. I know it’s helped a lot of parents but totally didn’t work for my baby. You need to listen to your baby, not a book

tothepoint

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 11:44 am
I NEVER want my babies up during night feedings! Then they might get the idea that they should be getting up to play! My kids are very clear from a young age that night is for sleeping. I have very few occasions where a baby wakes up in the middle of the night and is moving around and playing. That is a surefire way to cause me sleep deprivation!

OP, maybe try finding a co-sleeper that makes you feel safe. I really think that co-sleeping will make this MUCH easier, you will be able to work with your baby instead of fighting his nature.

I was very hesitant to do this for the same reason. I was in touch with a sleep consultant because my baby was a terrible sleeper. She really pushed me to do this, and amazingly it worked b"h. Eat-sleep correlation is really a 'thing'

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 12:03 pm
One of my babies was also very colic with stomach issues and wanted to eat every 2 hours. My doctor said that I'm overfeeding him, that's why he's so miserable. I cut back on feedings and bh no more colic or spit up!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics