Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Running shoes

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 7:16 pm
Hi everyone!

I am six weeks postpartum, 45lbs overweight, and completely out of shape. Before this pregnancy, I was an avid runner. I loved my early morning session on my treadmill. I did HIIT excercise, alternating speed, incline, and incorporating weights.
I endured a complicated pregnancy, and was laid up for most of it.

Now I'm fired up to get back to feeling and looking good.

But I took my old pair of sneakers out of the closet this morning... And realized that they are finito! Grungy and misshapen things that they are, I tossed them.

So now I need a new pair asap. Two problems;

1: I am clueless. I know there's a science to buying appropriate footwear for jogging, but I am clueless, and what with newborn and all, don't have the time to figure it out.

2: I cannot afford to spend too much. Things are a little tight here. So I cannot splurge on fancy kicks. Honestly, I don't care what they look like, just that they do the job.

Oh, and I'm a big woman, size ten, flat footed, if it matters.

I would greatly appreciate any advice. If you can include links that would be such a help!

Frumwithallergies

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 7:27 pm
Mazal tov on the new baby!
I use New Balance brand but mostly because they have women's sizes beyond 10.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 7:51 pm
You can find on Amazon great companies for great prices.

thanks

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 7:52 pm
I use the app c25k to train. My first pair of running shoes were Nike, about $40, memory foam.
I used them for two years. Just upgraded to hoka.
There's a store in Paramus, I think it's called road runners. They let you try for 90days and return, no questions asked.

DrMom

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 8:00 pm
What's wrong with the brand you used to use? If you liked them before, try their latest model to start with and then compare with other brands.

I'd go to a decent store where you can try out the shoes on s treadmill.

aro

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 8:03 pm
Go to a running store and get professionally fitted. It’s game changing

Odelyah

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 8:26 pm
are you truly flatfooted, meaning there is no arch at all when you are not standing? Or do you pronate, which means your arch flattens out when you stand, and your ankles dip inward. I pronate, and found good Asics running shoes on clearance when I started running a few years ago. You can use their website to figure out which of their shoes fit your need and then search online for last season's styles of those models on sale.

mom_13

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 8:43 pm
aro wrote:
Go to a running store and get professionally fitted. It’s game changing

Would you know of any in brooklyn?

southernbubby

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 8:47 pm
mom_13 wrote:
Would you know of any in brooklyn?

Is there still a store called Jack Rabbit? I think that they checked the fit while you ran on a treadmill.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 9:05 pm
DrMom wrote:
What's wrong with the brand you used to use? If you liked them before, try their latest model to start with and then compare with other brands.

I'd go to a decent store where you can try out the shoes on s treadmill.

The best feature of my previous pair was it's cheap price. Confused
They did the job, but I wouldn't buy them again.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 9:06 pm
Odelyah wrote:
are you truly flatfooted, meaning there is no arch at all when you are not standing? Or do you pronate, which means your arch flattens out when you stand, and your ankles dip inward. I pronate, and found good Asics running shoes on clearance when I started running a few years ago. You can use their website to figure out which of their shoes fit your need and then search online for last season's styles of those models on sale.

Pronated feet.
Thanks odelyah. I will look at the Asics website.

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 06 2019, 11:49 pm
There's a Jack Rabbit near Union Square in Manhattan, a block or two from the F train from Brooklyn. The sneakers I bought there were expensive but it was so worth it, they were perfect for my feet and without going through trial and error of cheaper shoes that weren't as good. Once I saw that they were working for me, I found them cheaper online in a discontinued color and bought a couple of extra pairs. Unfortunately the last of those just died after rotating a couple of pairs for years, and now I need to go back because I went back to regular shoe stores and lower end styles and it's just not working out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise