Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Granite versus quartz

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 4:07 pm
Hi, im trying to figure out pros and cons of granite and quartz countertops. Kashering the counters themselves for pesach, ill ask a rav about. My biggest question is if anyone has quartz counters, if they ever had a problem kashering the sinks. Because I was told the biggest con of quartz is you cant put anything boiling hot on countertops. So if you kasher sinks and boiling water spills on counter, im assuming itll ruin it. Kitchen place said theyve never heard any complaint about it.
Besides for that, anyone have general info on pros and cons of either granite or quartz? Tia

Queen18

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 4:15 pm
My quartz has some chips near sink where big pot banged against it. Don’t think that would happen with granite.

Amarante

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 9:58 pm
Queen18 wrote:
My quartz has some chips near sink where big pot banged against it. Don’t think that would happen with granite.

Granite can chip as well - especially around the sink.

I just finished a remodel so researched a lot Smile The edge you use has a lot to do with whether there will be chipping. Currently straight edges are trendier and they are more prone to chipping. I opted for an "eased" edge for this reason. It is straight but not as perfectly straight as a "straight edge" if this makes sense.

Also there are three ways you can construct an under mount sink - flush or zero - positive reveal or negative reveal. Negative reveal is when the edge of the sink comes slightly over the sink edge and this is also a bit more prone to chipping at the edge since you have the counter material sticking out a bit.

Again for this reason I opted for a positive reveal in which the edge of the sink is slightly seen or revealed. It is a very very slight distance but it protects the edge of the counter a bit.

Flush mount (or zero reveal) is when the sink and counter edge are flush with each other.

etky

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 2:11 am
I have quartz (Ceaserstone).
Been kashering it, and my stainless sinks, for Pesach for almost 20 years with boiling water with nary a problem.
I have a few tiny chips, also from pot banging I think, at the juncture of the sink + counter.
They are in what is called here התקנה שטוחה which I think is the equivalent of a flush mount.

M0mmy

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 4:50 am
As always, ask your LOR, but consider this:

https://www.star-k.org/article.....vice/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen