Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Do you hold of the Eruv in Flatbush?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Cheiny

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 10:18 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Www.avenjc.org/eruv

Not one name of a rabbi.

cbsp

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 10:22 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Not one name of a rabbi.

It's not the Eruv's web site.

I posted above the credentials and contact info of this shul's Rov. I'd be interested in hearing what he says if anyone does contact him.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 10:49 pm
If the men were the ones stuck at home with the babies, then of all of sudden the Eruv would be considered ok. Yet another reason why I don’t get how people live in Brooklyn

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 11:18 pm
Maybe this is a dumb question but why can’t they start the eruv after Ocean pkwy if that’s the problem? It’s so hard not having an eruv.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 11:19 pm
Many Chassidish rabbanim hold that the Flatbush eiruv is ok. But one cannot carry from the Boro Park eiruv to the Flatbush eiruv. Ocean Parkway is not included in either one.
When we go to Flatbush we're happy to carry but SIL told me I can't do it out in the open and shouldn't push a stroller since it's very looked down upon in the neighborhood. I spoke to a chassidish family in Flatbush and they confirmed they only carry in their pockets and can't carry outwardly for people would look down upon them.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 11:22 pm
I still don't understand why Flatbush can't have an eruv that won't include ocean parkway. So people won't be able to carry from BP to Flatbush, but at least in Flatbush it would be ok.

dovebird

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 11:34 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
If the men were the ones stuck at home with the babies, then of all of sudden the Eruv would be considered ok. Yet another reason why I don’t get how people live in Brooklyn

THIS!!!!! I’ve told my Rabbi this 100 times and he keeps saying he doesn’t live in NY so he can’t give me a heter Banging head

dovebird

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 11:36 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
I'm sefardi and don't know of any sefardim that hold of the eruv. However, it's said that Rav Ovadia didn't agree with Rav Moshe's psak but refrained from paskening against him.

My sphardi rav from out of town told me the same thing. He claims the main reason why we don’t carry is because most people don’t. Which sounds dumb to me. Let’s all petition one Shabbat and all go out with strollers and then most people are carrying and then the problem is solved.

dovebird

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 11:38 pm
cbsp wrote:
It's not the Eruv's web site.

I posted above the credentials and contact info of this shul's Rov. I'd be interested in hearing what he says if anyone does contact him.

I don’t mind contacting him. What should I ask?

cbsp

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 11:45 pm
dovebird wrote:
I don’t mind contacting him. What should I ask?

What

I thought you already had the questions and was just looking for an "in the know" Rov to contact...

nicole81

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 11:45 pm
Some basic googling showed that once upon a time, Young Israel of Ave J promoted the eruv hotline on their calendars. Young Israel of Ave I is the address for the eruv association; I would think calling them up is a good first step in gauging the validity of the eruv. Or, you know, asking your own rabbi.

I don't hold by the eruv, and neither does my sefardi husband. He did say that when he lived in the area, there were letters posted in some sefardi shuls that the eruv was OK.

dovebird

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 11:49 pm
cbsp wrote:
What

I thought you already had the questions and was just looking for an "in the know" Rov to contact...

Well if he checks it I’m assuming he hold it’s kosher? I’ll email him and ask what his sources are and if there are any other rabbis who gave him a go ahead.

dovebird

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 11:51 pm
nicole81 wrote:
Some basic googling showed that once upon a time, Young Israel of Ave J promoted the eruv hotline on their calendars. Young Israel of Ave I is the address for the eruv association; I would think calling them up is a good first step in gauging the validity of the eruv. Or, you know, asking your own rabbi.

I don't hold by the eruv, and neither does my sefardi husband. He did say that when he lived in the area, there were letters posted in some sefardi shuls that the eruv was OK.

I would go to my rabbi first, but he’s from out of town so doesn’t know much about he eruv here. Maybe I should call up young Israel of ave I for more info . I feel like I’m back in high school doing a research paper!!

turca

amother [ Plum ] wrote:
I'm sefardi and don't know of any sefardim that hold of the eruv. However, it's said that Rav Ovadia didn't agree with Rav Moshe's psak but refrained from paskening against him.

Same here

amother
Blonde

I do not hold of the eruv. You do see more and more people carrying. I find it disturbing having grown up with the understanding that Rav Moshe ruled against the eruv and it is a big deal to go against a ruling of Rav Moshe.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 11:52 pm
doctorima wrote:
Those who don't recognize the validity of the Flatbush eruv also don't hold of the Manhattan one for the same reason. Rav Moshe Feinstein paskened that both places are considered a reshus harabim due to the high volume of people/traffic, and an eruv cannot be made around a reshus harabim.

But plenty of orthodox people, including me when I lived there, do hold by the eruv. So saying that they are all mechallel shabbos is very wrong.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 11:54 pm
mirror wrote:
Yes. Convert to Sefardi. The sefardim in the neighborhood hold of the eruv.

Not true
Those that are frum don’t hold by it

nicole81

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 12:00 am
dovebird wrote:
I would go to my rabbi first, but he’s from out of town so doesn’t know much about he eruv here. Maybe I should call up young Israel of ave I for more info . I feel like I’m back in high school doing a research paper!!

It definitely seems like a Young Israel approved endeavor. The YI on ave I is actually called the Young Israel of Flatbush, in case you're googling them.

Years ago I lived near the YI of Kingsbay for a couple of months and while I never asked the rabbi about the eruv, I remember one shabbat he spoke to the congregation about the boundary that was nearby which makes me think he was OK with it, too.

dovebird

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 12:13 am
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
Not true
Those that are frum don’t hold by it

Umm I’ve seen plenty of frum people who carry.

dovebird

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 12:15 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
But plenty of orthodox people, including me when I lived there, do hold by the eruv. So saying that they are all mechallel shabbos is very wrong.

Agree 100%!! Can I ask which rabbi you held by when you were here? Did everyone in your community carry as well?
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries