Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Would you carry groceries using a belt?
Previous  1  2

Would you use a belt to carry groceries?
Yes  
 21%  [ 15 ]
No  
 78%  [ 55 ]
Total Votes : 70

Teomima

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 9:36 am
I don't have anything against doing that, but I wouldn't do it because I almost always have oversized reusable grocery bags with me. I think it's much easier, sturdier, and more comfortable to stick a large load of groceries in a blue Ikea bag than connect a bunch of plastic bags with a belt (which doesn't look comfortable plus the bags could rip). Not to mention, here in Israel most people bring their own bags with them to the stores since supermarkets charge extra for plastic.

Rappel

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 10:32 am
I usually carry them on a carabiner clipped to my carriage. But I would do a belt if it were just as easy! And I would wear it cross shoulder, not straight down.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 4:22 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Why don't more people just use a wheelie cart? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ea.....60935

Stigma, sadly.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 4:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Stigma, sadly.

Just checking that this is relatively universal - those are "bubby carts" correct?

zaq

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 5:11 pm
I never cared much for the dictates of fashion. If I were too proud (read stupidly vain) to use a bubby cart (which term is relatively new to me, when I was a kid it was just a plain shopping cart and there was no asinine ageist stigma to it), my family would have starved long ago. Thank G-d I have the gumption to do what's right for me whether the fashionistas like it or not.

But if I found myself in a situation with no cart and multiple bags, well..I never wear belts. What I would do, and have done, is use an empty grocery bag in exactly the same way, passing it through the handles of two or more full bags and tying it into a loop, forming a thick "handle" that is more comfortable and easier to control than multiple individual handles. Naturally I would make two such bundles so that I could carry more or less equal weight on each side.

zaq

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 5:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Stigma, sadly.

People are such pathetic sheep. If more people had the guts to do the sensible thing instead of prostrating their cowardly selves before the gods of fashion and "what everyone else does," there would be no stigma [she said, gazing with ill-disguised disdain at a young woman in a pencil skirt teetering precariously on spike heels and staggering under her load of an order of "Shabbat in a Box" (one barbecued chicken, one pint of coleslaw, one mini-lokshen kugel, six challah rolls and four slices of seven-layer cake) plus a dozen liter bottles of Diet Coke].
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics