Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Sick newborn

westchestermom

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 4:12 pm
The 5 year old brought home a cold from school and gave it to me and the 6 week old baby. Any survival strategies? I'm drinking tea and chicken soup nonstop. Baby is nursing nonstop to soothe her throat to the point that she's spitting up. Also screaming her head off because of the postnasal drip and sore throat. No fevers, no emergency, just miserable.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 4:17 pm
Put saline spray in her nose before each feeding. It works wonders.

Last edited by flowerpower on Thu, Nov 07 2019, 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Plum

Put on the humidifier, stand in a steamy bathroom with the baby for like 10 mins at a time, cut up an onion and place near baby's head while sleeping

amother
Brown

Squirt saline into both of her nostrils every hour and let it drip down her throat. It really helps. If you have a nebulizer at home, use it with saline instead of Albuterol so the saline really gets in. Also bring her to the doctor even if she doesn't have fever, because if it starts getting to her chest you want to catch it before it gets bad. Very young infants don't always cough or have fever even if they are very sick to the point of needing oxygen. So sorry! Btdt several times with my 4 month old already Crying The above are all tips from my pediatrician that have helped us get through.

teachkids

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 4:18 pm
Definitely be consistent about saline and suction for the baby. As much as you can, keep her head elevated (supervised naps in the carrier or car seat ). Nursing will help with the antibodies.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 4:18 pm
Squirt milk into her nose. Even better than saline!

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 5:20 pm
westchestermom wrote:
The 5 year old brought home a cold from school and gave it to me and the 6 week old baby. Any survival strategies? I'm drinking tea and chicken soup nonstop. Baby is nursing nonstop to soothe her throat to the point that she's spitting up. Also screaming her head off because of the postnasal drip and sore throat. No fevers, no emergency, just miserable.

take vitamin C every few hours, very very often.... it goes through the milk wonderfully
and you can't overdose on vitamin C because it leaves the body once it's too much in the form of diharea.
I can't tell you to do that but sometimes I take hourly for the first few hours and I keep taking until I feel a diharea coming on.
I wish I can tell enough how effective this is. I have had this so many times over the years and when I religiously did this was the time the colds took less than 24 hours
please try it and let me know good news tomorrow

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Nov 07 2019, 5:52 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Squirt milk into her nose. Even better than saline!

Yes!! Your milk has antibodies to deliver straight into her nasal passages and also helps clear out what it can.
You can use a snot sucker kind of thing if she does have a lot of mucus, but usually a stuffed nose so young is due to swelling in the nasal passages blocking the nostrils, not necessarily mucus.

Watch her coloring well and listen for her breathing to not get too rapid or shallow. Grunting isn't a good sound. And chest retractions are also a sign things are not good.

Refuah sheleima!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics