Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Try to persuade me to relocate to your town!
Previous  1  2

amother
Sienna

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 4:15 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Israel requires a lot of adjustment and planning. It might be a good idea for the OP but I would never suggest making aliya simply for the reasons OP stated.

She listed Israel as a possibility. We just read לך לך today. Why wouldn't a Jew put Israel first? There may be practical reasons that it doesn't work, but how could it not even be on the list?

banana123

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 4:16 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
She listed Israel as a possibility. We just read לך לך today. Why wouldn't a Jew put Israel first? There may be practical reasons that it doesn't work, but how could it not even be on the list?

Because when aliya fails, it fails miserably. And I know far too many people who came for the wrong reasons and they and their children ended up miserable and left within 2-5 years.

Or they don't leave but they are miserable and on welfare and wish they'd never come because they are consistently in debt and struggling to acclimate and their marriage is now on the rocks due to the pressure.

littleprincess

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 6:03 pm
What about Europe? It doesn't get as cold or as hot as in New York!! U can choose many communities that have a lot if shuls, school and even libraries and the medical system is also not that bad . In england medical is not perfect but u have thousands of families living here happily

amother
Wine

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 6:05 pm
The other side of the world, but Melbourne seems to fit your description Wink
No snow and we don’t get the humidity, (but do have days over 100 in the summer)
Only downside is housing is expensive.

amother
Bronze

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 7:28 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
The other side of the world, but Melbourne seems to fit your description Wink
No snow and we don’t get the humidity, (but do have days over 100 in the summer)
Only downside is housing is expensive.

What about jobs/daycare?

Also, is it a very divided community?

leah233

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 8:10 pm
OP,

In two weeks from now the OU is having a community fair.

Those communities are looking to persuade you to relocate to their town.

see this link for more details

https://www.ou.org/fair/about/

shanie5

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 8:53 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
Scranton pa is opening a new modern
Orthodox school
beth shalom academy
At Beth shalom synagogue or try wilksbarre pA

Opened already. This is their first year.

amother
Wine

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 8:59 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
What about jobs/daycare?

Also, is it a very divided community?

I don’t know what you mean by divided, but we pretty much have everything just on a smaller scale so each group doesn’t necessarily have its own school and the communities mix a bit more than other bigger cities.

There are government subsidies for registered childcare places - and there are many Jewish childcare centres. There are also smaller childcare places that people have in their homes that are cheaper - and well run.

There are people working in all fields, within the community and outside the community.
Tuition isn’t cheap but the more frum schools have programs that work with families to figure out what they can pay. The MO school and traditional schools have scholarships.

The public hospitals are excellent, and there is Medicare that makes medical care affordable. Many people have health insurance but lots don’t.

University is also accessible to all, there is the HECS govt program, which from memory means you start paying back the govt for schooling once you earn over $40000 a year. (Obv more complicated than that, but point is ppl here aren’t burdened with college debt)

The only downside is cost of housing and the fact that we are the other side of the world, so travelling is expensive.
(Oh and a lot of kosher imported food is quite expensive, but you really don’t need to rely on that, there are a lot of local kosher products available)

There are beautiful parks, libraries and museums. Within an hours drive there are many beautiful places to visit and take a holiday. Plus incredible places all over the country if you like exploring.

GreenEyes26

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 9:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I live in NYC. Hate the cold sad weather atmosphere. I don’t like tooo hot humid weather as well. I like to have shul walking distance and libraries as well. Love to eat healthy and have variet to choose from. Would love near by yeshivas. Area with medical freedom like NYC used to be. In case you wonder I do vaccines but selectively and on delayed schedules since my kids react badly.

I was thinking of Israel, Arizona, or Pennsylvania or NJ. If you live there or any other place on planet and have great info to pursue me to move there , please post.

I don’t live OOT at the moment, but I’ll pass on recommending cities to you. Words like “medical freedom” are huge red flags for me. Stay away.

Edited to add, in case it wasn’t obvious, that I mean “medical freedom” when it comes to vaccines. And I use the quotes heavily on “medical freedom” with a healthy dose of sarcasm. It’s really amazing how the anti-vaxxers have convinced themselves this is a freedom issue. Nice way of continuing to make themselves feel like victims.

Last edited by GreenEyes26 on Sun, Nov 10 2019, 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Turquoise

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 9:50 pm
GreenEyes26 wrote:
I don’t live OOT at the moment, but I’ll pass on recommending cities to you. Words like “medical freedom” are huge red flags for me. Stay away.

What do you mean?

amother
Brown

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 10:25 pm
GreenEyes26 wrote:

What do you prefer? Medical tyranny?

amother
Bronze

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 11:02 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
I don’t know what you mean by divided, but we pretty much have everything just on a smaller scale so each group doesn’t necessarily have its own school and the communities mix a bit more than other bigger cities.

There are government subsidies for registered childcare places - and there are many Jewish childcare centres. There are also smaller childcare places that people have in their homes that are cheaper - and well run.

There are people working in all fields, within the community and outside the community.
Tuition isn’t cheap but the more frum schools have programs that work with families to figure out what they can pay. The MO school and traditional schools have scholarships.

The public hospitals are excellent, and there is Medicare that makes medical care affordable. Many people have health insurance but lots don’t.

University is also accessible to all, there is the HECS govt program, which from memory means you start paying back the govt for schooling once you earn over $40000 a year. (Obv more complicated than that, but point is ppl here aren’t burdened with college debt)

The only downside is cost of housing and the fact that we are the other side of the world, so travelling is expensive.
(Oh and a lot of kosher imported food is quite expensive, but you really don’t need to rely on that, there are a lot of local kosher products available)

There are beautiful parks, libraries and museums. Within an hours drive there are many beautiful places to visit and take a holiday. Plus incredible places all over the country if you like exploring.

I've been to Melbourne and its one of the prettiest places I've ever been.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 11:14 pm
GreenEyes26 wrote:

So you prefer coercion, loss of bodily autonomy, removing one from life support without consent, the loss of the right to make your own medical decisions, and the hundreds of other issues that come up when medical freedom becomes something to stay away from. Hmmm. That's a first.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 12:06 am
banana123 wrote:
Because when aliya fails, it fails miserably. And I know far too many people who came for the wrong reasons and they and their children ended up miserable and left within 2-5 years.

Or they don't leave but they are miserable and on welfare and wish they'd never come because they are consistently in debt and struggling to acclimate and their marriage is now on the rocks due to the pressure.

Moving far away from the familiar can be very difficult and isn't always successful. That has nothing to do with Israel per se.

DrMom

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 12:09 am
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
So you prefer coercion, loss of bodily autonomy, removing one from life support without consent, the loss of the right to make your own medical decisions, and the hundreds of other issues that come up when medical freedom becomes something to stay away from. Hmmm. That's a first.

Is this an issue in NYC now?

I am asking earnestly; I don't live there.

GreenEyes26

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 12:20 am
DrMom wrote:

No, it is not.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 12:23 am
DrMom wrote:

It may be a bit of an exaggeration, but there is a lot of pressure to do things which may be against your (or your loves ones) beliefs or wishes.

The issue of life support is even worse in Canada, and many frum doctors are having a hard time with it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating