Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Jewish Novel recommendations
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 6:31 pm
Normal Like Me by Ruti Kepler is one of the best Jewish books I have ever read.

Reality

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 6:39 pm
I can't believe nobody mentioned A Daughter of Two Mothers.

Practically the only jewish book I can read.

And Most books by Marcus Lehman.

Odelyah

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 6:53 pm
Oh also, I know you said novels, but the books of short (fiction) stories by Chaim Walder contain some of my all-time favorite writing, Jewish or non. The first is Listen to the Soul, the second is Subject to Change.

isrmss91

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 7:05 pm
Shortchanged Etka Gitel Schwartz
All books by Eva Vogiel.
Avner Gold's The Promised Child, (Strausberg Series) Now slowly being Re-printed with additional chapters.
Six Degrees by Riva Pomerantz.
Rubin's "a Time to Heal" and a "time to live"
Ruthie Pearlman's trilogy, "Working it out" "Getting it Right", and "Making it last"
Also wrote "Daniel, my Son"
Also, by Pearlman, The Yael Reed Series of 7 books(geared more towards Tweens but fun to read.) School of secrets, Lockdown, Disappeared, whispers, foundling, and Target.
Tzippy kestenbaum, "outlook" and "homebound"
Ahuva Parnes "The Single Files"
This is America, by Henye Meyer who also wrote Exiles of Crocodile Island.
I heard, Chaim Eliav's newest book, "the Four" was good.
Shuli Mensh's books Brainwaves, Mindgames and Heart Rhythms were good.
But has anyone read her newest that just came out, called Tomorrow?

Cheshire cat

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 7:23 pm
Every man a slave
The pomegranate pendant

Whoops- forgot authors' names. Can anyone help out?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 8:10 pm
Sender Zeyv for first
Dvora Waysman for second

questioner

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 8:12 pm
Sara weiderblank

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 8:13 pm
Wow so much to look into! Thank you all so much

zytt

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 9:04 pm
Incredible and incredible 2 about Rabbi Yossi Wallis, CEO of Arachim, written by Nachman Seltzer, not novels

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 9:18 pm
zytt wrote:
Incredible and incredible 2 about Rabbi Yossi Wallis, CEO of Arachim, written by Nachman Seltzer, not novels

I read them both and they’re great! I own incredible 2, I must remember to buy the first eventually .

UQT

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 10:37 pm
Tomorrow was truly a great book. I've leant it out to a few people and they all really enjoyed it.

There was another book I can't remember the name but maybe someone can name it. It was written about a poor family in Jerusalem whose daughter ended up coming to America to collect for her family. It made you think long after the book was over.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 10:41 pm
UQT wrote:
Tomorrow was truly a great book. I've leant it out to a few people and they all really enjoyed it.

There was another book I can't remember the name but maybe someone can name it. It was written about a poor family in Jerusalem whose daughter ended up coming to America to collect for her family. It made you think long after the book was over.

that one was called "promise me Jerusalem" I think, about a widow who came to collect money. author was a rosengarten.

isrmss91

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 10:44 pm
Cheshire cat wrote:
Every man a slave
The pomegranate pendant

Whoops- forgot authors' names. Can anyone help out?

Sendyr Zev wrote Every man a slave and Gone west and
The pomegrante Pendant was written by Dvora Waysman

Last edited by isrmss91 on Sun, Nov 10 2019, 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 10:46 pm
UQT wrote:

What’s tomorrow about? The later sounds like my type ! I used to get weird stares when I’d tell people “I only like books that make me cry.”

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 11:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What’s tomorrow about? The later sounds like my type ! I used to get weird stares when I’d tell people “I only like books that make me cry.”

If you like those (and I do, too!), have you tried Dancing in the Dark (teenagers dealing with a mom with Bipolar Disorder) and Tzippy Caton's Miracle Ride?

I also second the nomination for Sun Inside Rain (less tear-jerky), but IMO the best written Jewish novel in terms of quality of writing.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 5:05 am
"Sun Inside Rain" by M. Bassara (or something like that?)

"Daddy's Girl" by Dina Neuman

"All Fall Down" by Rachel Berger

Libby Lazewnik's books

Avner Gold's books

"Every Man a Slave" by...someone? pretty good.

UQT

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 7:46 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It's not going to make you cry, but it was written really well. You get sucked straight into their life and can't put it down.

mimom

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 7:52 am
Not novels, but will definitely make you cry:
The youngest partisan
To vanquish the dragon

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 9:35 am
UQT wrote:

Promise me Jerusalem by chany rosengarten

It was originally serialized in the Monsey view. It was captivating and so sad. It's about a poor yerushalmi family struggling to get by. It's beautifully written

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 9:39 am
Odelyah wrote:
Yes-- you mean Ruchama King (Feuerman). I was going to say this-- she is the best! Seven Blessings and In the Courtyard of the Kabbalist. She has received a lot of (secular) critical acclaim.

There is also Welcome to Heavenly Heights by Risa Miller -- it won a PEN Discovery Award. It was good but ultimately heavier and a bit depressing compared to Ruchama's books and short stories, which I find uplifting. But if you like magical realism, and don't mind sadder themes, you might enjoy Heavenly Heights a lot.

I was also thinking of Risa Miller. I think it's time to reread ;-D
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room