Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
What do you use...
1  2  Next

rockstar

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 12:45 pm
What do you use to make your house smell good? I use the plug ins. I am aware of all the chemicals but what do you use that works?
What do you use to clean your counters?
I use fantastic but I feel like it doesn’t do much and I rly don’t like the smell.

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 12:58 pm
I cook and bake🙂😈

I choke and hold my breath from the chemical plug ins or potpourri.
It stinks!

flowerpower

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 1:02 pm
I found these round refreshners from Target that smells good and lasts a month.

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 1:06 pm
I cook up a pot of water with cinnamon or lemon, or homeopathic oils- lavender...
In the bedrooms, Febreeze spray on beds.

rockstar

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 1:07 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I found these round refreshners from Target that smells good and lasts a month.

You have a link?

flowerpower

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 1:23 pm
Fresh odor neutralizer 14 oz from up and up.

amother
Pink

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 3:20 pm
Fresh eucalyptus is fantastic, esp in bathrooms.
I've also found this new small homeade candle company that I like ordering from for when I'm having company (I.e. my MIL) over I think it's called zencandlegarden or something like that, I found them via Instagram.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 3:31 pm
wondering wrote:
What do you use to make your house smell good? I use the plug ins. I am aware of all the chemicals but what do you use that works?

Opening the windows works pretty well. So does baking.

wondering wrote:
What do you use to clean your counters?

Formula 409 or diluted dishwashing liquid. Fantastik leaves a residue.

amother
Blush

Post Fri, Nov 08 2019, 4:02 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
Fresh eucalyptus is fantastic, esp in bathrooms.
I've also found this new small homeade candle company that I like ordering from for when I'm having company (I.e. my MIL) over I think it's called zencandlegarden or something like that, I found them via Instagram.

I use eucalyptus too, although the smell fades. There are natural plugins or oil diffusers, but don’t overdo it. I choke in some people’s houses.

amother
Pewter

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 6:07 pm
I love the smell of chemicals! Bleach in the bathrooms (love it!), and also the reed air fresheners.
Clorox wipes to clean every surface.
Unstoppable spray for the beds and couches.
Frequently wash clothes, even the ones you dont wear often, so theres no old smell in your closets.
I put a few drops of essential oils into my air vents and on my duster.
Windows open for as long as possible.

littleprincess

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 6:12 pm
I once visited a friend and her house smelled delicious . She told me she boils a bit of fabric softener in a disposable tin foil (not a real pot cos it makes holes ) .I tried it once after frying. Entire house smelled delicious.

lavenderchimes

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 8:15 pm
I am pretty opposed to chemicals. So, I clean everything with some combination of white vinegar, Dr. Bronners soap, and essential oils. Baking soda if scrubbing/more deodorizing is needed. I make my own "Febreze" from water, white vinegar and essential oils in a spray bottle. Spray liberally everywhere:) Boil water with cloves, cinnamon, whatever oils, orange peels, etc., on the stove.

zaq

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 8:54 pm
Fresh air. Clean laundry. Open windows. Sunshine. Baking soda. Vinegar. Fresh-baked bread or mezonos. Dryness: all damp things spread out to dry and nothing put away until every last bit of dampness is gone. Sink surround wiped dry after every use. Cleanliness: trash taken out daily, more often if containing highly putrescible stuff; vacuum cleaner bin emptied out after each use; dishes washed and sink strainer emptied into trash after each meal. Minimal upholstered furniture, no carpeting. Occasionally, if offensive cooking odors linger, I'll simmer some sweet spices on the stove or brew some spicy herbal tea.

zaq

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 8:57 pm
BTW I never found that simmering orange peels did much of anything. Cinnamon and cloves, yes. Personally I prefer that my house not have a discernable smell at all. When people come in I don't want them to think how nice it smells, since some people have chemical sensitivities and react poorly to smells others find pleasant. I prefer my house be odor-neutral and people think how clean, neat uncluttered and welcoming it is instead.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 9:01 pm
littleprincess wrote:
I once visited a friend and her house smelled delicious . She told me she boils a bit of fabric softener in a disposable tin foil (not a real pot cos it makes holes ) .I tried it once after frying. Entire house smelled delicious.

Did the frying smell come back afterwards?

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 7:57 am
littleprincess wrote:

Makes holes in pot?
I’m confused

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 9:15 am
I clean with regular cleaning products. And for extra smell I use either scented candles or febreeze. My husband is kind of obsessed with scented candles

zaq

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 11:07 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
Makes holes in pot?
I’m confused

Evidently the fabric softener corrodes the pot. Presumably it’s aluminum. Stainless steel would be fine. I suspect this poster is a bit confused and her friend uses foil so as not to tref up her cooking pots. Unless, as I said, she has all-aluminum cookware.

Why would anyone want to boil fabric softener in their cookware, anyway, kashrut concerns aside? There’s a huge yuck factor there.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 2:13 pm
Scented sachets with natural dried lavender and other herbs.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 3:32 pm
I use the amonia free windex on my counters
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry