Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Minhag or Halacha? Eating meat on Friday..
Previous  1  2

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 5:24 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
Really? Have him ask his rabbi

My dh is a rabbi. Many times in halacha there are different opinions, so perhaps this is one of those times.

zaq

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 5:32 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
It’s Halacha not to have meat on Friday. Some people have a minhag to extend it to Thursday night too but many rabbonim don’t even allow tasting meat on Friday which will be served on Shabbos, some do, but it’s all rabbis I know who say you must absolutely not eat meat on Friday.

Perhaps you and all those rabbanim are descended from Spanish and Portuguese conversos who, as outwardly practicing Catholics, were banned from eating meat on Fridays.

Ihatepotatoes

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 8:21 pm
zaq wrote:
Maybe someone is confused. Catholics are forbidden to eat meat on Fridays because supposedly That Man died on a Friday. (One wonders how many Catholics still observe this. My guess would be not many. But I digress.)
This reminds me of this old joke..

"Moish moves into a Catholic neighborhood. Every Friday The Catholics are driven crazy because, while they're eating fish, Moish is outside barbecuing steaks. So the Catholics work to convert him to Catholicism. Finally, after many threats and much pleading, the Catholics succeed. They take Moish to a priest who sprinkles holy water and says, "Born a Jew, Raised a Jew, Now a Catholic." The Catholics are ecstatic. No more delicious, but maddening smells every Friday evening. But the next Friday evening, the scent of barbecue wafts through the neighborhood. The Catholics all rush to the Moish's house to remind him of his new diet. They see him standing over the cooking steak. He is sprinkling water on the meat and saying, "Born a cow, Raised a cow, Now a fish"

zaq

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 10:20 pm
Ihatepotatoes wrote:
This reminds me of this old joke..

"Moish moves into a Catholic neighborhood. Every Friday The Catholics are driven crazy because, while they're eating fish, Moish is outside barbecuing steaks. So the Catholics work to convert him to Catholicism. Finally, after many threats and much pleading, the Catholics succeed. They take Moish to a priest who sprinkles holy water and says, "Born a Jew, Raised a Jew, Now a Catholic." The Catholics are ecstatic. No more delicious, but maddening smells every Friday evening. But the next Friday evening, the scent of barbecue wafts through the neighborhood. The Catholics all rush to the Moish's house to remind him of his new diet. They see him standing over the cooking steak. He is sprinkling water on the meat and saying, "Born a cow, Raised a cow, Now a fish"

My dh is wondering why I’m guffawing. LOL

amother
Blonde

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 10:30 pm
I tried to do some research, but only came across a source to specifically eat meat on Erev Shabbos: http://revach.net/shabbos/minh...../3822

However, I did find this, which says the opposite... https://shulchanaruchharav.com.....bbos/
(JK, this is during the Nine Days - might that be the source of this minhag?)

amother
Mustard

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 10:48 pm
nnmom wrote:
Title says it all.
I was told it is Halacha not to eat meat on Friday so one can be hungry for the shabbos meal.
Brand new info to me
Is it truly Halacha?

A word to the wise- when someone tells you that there's a halacha to do or not to do something, especially when it conflicts with what you have seen up to now, ask where it's written, and then go look it up.

nnmom

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 5:46 am
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
A word to the wise- when someone tells you that there's a halacha to do or not to do something, especially when it conflicts with what you have seen up to now, ask where it's written, and then go look it up.

Since I don’t know the origin I don’t know where to look it up.
Do you?

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 7:16 am
nnmom wrote:
Since I don’t know the origin I don’t know where to look it up.
Do you?

No. Perhaps the halacha not to eat a big meal on Friday has been expanded to mean not eating meat, but I don't know of any such explicit halacha. It seems intuitive that you wouldn't feast on Friday, but I don't know of anyone who says you can't have a hot dog on erev shabbos.

I copied the Shulchan Aruch, Orach Chaim 249:2 for you.

אסור לקבוע בע"ש סעודה ומשתה שאינו רגיל בימי החול ואפילו הוא סעודת אירוסין מפני כבוד השבת שיכנס לשבת כשהוא תאב לאכול וכל היום בכלל האיסור. הגה וסעודה שזמנה בע"ש כגון ברית מילה או פדיון הבן מותר כנ"ל וכן המנהג פשוט. ולאכול ולשתות בלי קביעות סעודה אפילו סעודה שרגיל בה בחול כל היום מותר להתחיל מן הדין אבל מצוה להמנע מלקבוע סעודה שנהוג בה בחול מט' שעות ולמעלה:

2. On Friday, it is forbidden to partake of a celebratory feast that one would not ordinarily partake of on a weekday. [This is so] Even if it is an Erusin meal, because of the honor of Shabbat, so that one will enter Shabbos desiring to eat and partake of the Shabbos meal with an appetite. All day is forbidden. RAMA: A Friday meal where one says zimun, such as a bris milah or pidyon ben it is permitted as seen above, and this is the simple custom. To eat and drink without partaking of the meal, even a meal that one ordinarily partakes of on the weekday, all day is permitted to begin according to the law. Nevertheless, it is a mitzvah to refrain from eating a meal from the ninth hour onward.

ETA, I know the Shulchan Aruch isn't the final posek, especially for Ashkenazim, but it's the obvious starting point. As far as I know, later seforim just repeat this.

nnmom

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 8:34 am
Thank you for attaching this
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note