Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Real nursery vs. playgroup

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 9:27 pm
My son is 2.5 and in playgroup right now. I was wondering about what to do with him next year.

This playgroup has a group for the 3s. I could also send him to an independent nursery or the nursery of a yeshiva.

Is there any reason to move him to a real nursery? The playgroup now is close to home, convenient, and pretty cheap.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 9:33 pm
Will the 3 year old room at the playgroup have a curriculum? It could function the same way as a nursery would..

amother
Pewter

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 9:40 pm
my 3 year old ended up not even going to preschool .Wasn't potty trained and school said no. Following year got medical not and she went. But leaving all that aside. She was fine. She wasn't lagging behind at all. I think all this "hype" about curriculum is just that hype. If you like the playgroup morahs and you like the kids she'll be with I really think she'll be fine.

Rutabaga

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 9:43 pm
Things to consider:

1. Is your son toilet trained? Most playgroups are fine changing diapers but 3 year old classes in real schools don't allow diapers or pull-ups.
2. Are schools difficult to get into in your area? It's often easier to get in at younger ages when the classes aren't full yet.
3. How is your son doing socially? Would he be able to handle a more regimented day?

amother
Silver

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 9:56 pm
I prefer a school because
1) longer hours and option for after care
2) child has a spot for next year

tweety1

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 11:07 pm
I say it really depends on the kid. A nursery is much more structured than a playgrp. Not that a playgrp lacks structure, there are some great playgrps but nursery is a different kind of a setting. I had 2 kids that after playgrp they so needed the nursery structure, while a different kid did much better in the extra yr of playgrp. Maybe it also has to do with boys/girls. Boys can handle the nursery setting much better than girls at that age.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 11:13 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
Will the 3 year old room at the playgroup have a curriculum? It could function the same way as a nursery would..

I'm pretty sure yes, but it's not the most academic place in the world. (I find it funny that I'm using the word "academic" regarding a nursery.)

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 11:15 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
Things to consider:

1. Is your son toilet trained? Most playgroups are fine changing diapers but 3 year old classes in real schools don't allow diapers or pull-ups.
2. Are schools difficult to get into in your area? It's often easier to get in at younger ages when the classes aren't full yet.
3. How is your son doing socially? Would he be able to handle a more regimented day?

He's not toilet trained now, but he'll be 3.5 by the time September rolls around. I imagine (and pray!) that he'll be toilet trained by then.

We are hoping to move out of this neighborhood within the next 2 years, so we most likely won't be applying to yeshiva here. It's not relevant.

He's doing very well socially as the oldest in a younger group. He might be fine with a more regimented day, but I'm wondering if it's necessary or advisable.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 11:17 pm
I have been so happy with my son's playgroups that I opted to keep my next son in playgroup vs sending to the Yeshiva's nursery. Playgroup is local, I know the amazing morahs, I like for them to be with boys and girls at this age, and overall if I was so happy why should I risk sending a little child to a big school at such a young age?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 11:17 pm
tweety1 wrote:
I say it really depends on the kid. A nursery is much more structured than a playgrp. Not that a playgrp lacks structure, there are some great playgrps but nursery is a different kind of a setting. I had 2 kids that after playgrp they so needed the nursery structure, while a different kid did much better in the extra yr of playgrp. Maybe it also has to do with boys/girls. Boys can handle the nursery setting much better than girls at that age.

I'm not sure, though. He's fine in playgroup, but I would guess that he'd be fine with the more structured setting. I imagine that the older group has a more structured setting, too- the Morah seemed to indicate that to me when we were deciding whether to put my son in the older or younger group for this year. (The fact that he's not toilet trained was the thing that pushed him to the younger group.)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 11:28 pm
My first 2 boys went to school at 4.
My first daughter at 5.
My second daughter at 4.
(And then the rest from 2-2.5 due to no playgroup options.)

My kids were totally fine, but it was normal to enter their classes straight from playgroup, which is a consideration. The teachers helped acclimate a whole group of kids into school and expectations vs just 1 kid.

Anyway, I don't think my kids missed out on anything. My kids were all reading before the rest of their class despite not having abcs for 3 years in a row.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sat, Nov 09 2019, 11:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm pretty sure yes, but it's not the most academic place in the world. (I find it funny that I'm using the word "academic" regarding a nursery.)

My reason for asking the question is that there really might be little difference between the two in terms of what your child will get out of it - to echo something else you said, they may be equally as regimented' and the choice is more about logistics and building a path to get into another school.

chocolatecake

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 1:36 am
Another thing to think about is if the playgroup is legal. A nursery that is part of a school is
Definitely legal and you can claim if for childcare on your taxes
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics