Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Cleaning schedule

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 9:26 am
I need to create a cleaning schedule. I have 30 hours of household help a week - 3 ten hour days. The house never feels clean and neat. I didn't have this before with other cleaning ladies. I gave her a chance to get used to my house.

DH does the laundry. We put our own clothes in the drawers. There's maybe 2 items to iron a week. There are no dishes or mess waiting for the cleaning lady when she comes in. There are no little kids living here. The house is large with a lot of chrome and glass.

I have a high risk upcoming operation with a long recovery. I want to get the house running smoothly before. There is no reason this house can be clean and neat when she leaves.

Please suggest a schedule.

I cook on Fridays and change the linens that day.

I like the floors mopped when she is here. The house should be dusted twice weekly. The plants watered also twice weekly.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 9:30 am
Maybe she needs techniques on how to clean and be taught, more than a schedule?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 9:45 am
Unfortunately, in my experience there are some people who are very detail oriented, and they make excellent cleaners. There are some people who are not detail oriented, and while they can follow a schedule they won't necessarily notice every little thing, and those are the things that make the house feel imperfect when they leave.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 10:10 am
It's getting frustrating. She needs to clean the whole area, not just what she can reach. I show her one area that she didn't clean the upper part of the mirror in my dining room. She did the same thing in my bathroom. I brought her a step stool. Then she did the same thing on the chrome light fixture in my bedroom that was right over the mirror. She just cleaned what she could reach even though she had a step stool right there.

The same thing happened with my stove. I showed her that she was not cleaning the full hood, only the middle. Then she didn't clean the full medal shelf beneath the hood, only the middle.

It's hard to get someone good for the hours I need. Usually the house runs smooth once they know the house. Because, there not much heavy cleaning, they like working here.

DH's solution is to fire her. But that leaves me with no one. Because of my health, I need someone.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 10:11 am
Don't fire her yet but keep looking until you find someone else.

zaq

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 10:59 am
Can she read English? Maybe write up a detailed checklist with all the items of concern e. g. “range hood—full width. Use step stool to reach.” If she catches on, great. If not, you have two options: a. learn to live with her sloppy work, or b. replace her with one or more people if you absolutely must have coverage for that many hours. FTR ten hours is an awfully long day. You might have better luck finding someone to work 3 eight hour days and one six, or even five six hour days.

Actually there may be a third option, which is to provide her with extension-handle tools that will allow her to reach everything without climbing. If her sloppiness is a matter of not wanting to climb or carry a step stool around, extension tools should do the trick. If it’s a matter of laziness or lack of attention to detail, then see options a and b above.

BTW, for insurance and liability reasons, professional services like Maid Pro do not allow personnel to climb anything. Everything is done with extension-handle tools and cleaning products that they provide. And they have a huge checklist with some 50 or more points. They’re much more expensive than hiring any old person just off the boat, but it might be worth it to you, Being professionals they get more done in less time, so you may need fewer hours.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics