Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Torticollis? Something else?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 10:03 am
My 9 month old is constantly tilting/dropping his head to the side. Can it be torticollis? When he was 4-5 months a friend noticed in pictures that his head was mostly to one side she said she went to therapy for her baby I should really get it checked out. I asked the dr and she felt his muscle there and said he doesnt have. Now I'm noticing that hes constantly tilting his head to the side but hes always in a good mood when he does it so I took it as a sort of game. Now I'm remembering that he did this a few months back and we took it that he wanted to lay down. Can it be torticollis?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 10:05 am
I have a niece with the same issue and it’s only a tight muscle you can try going to therapy for it. The doctor did give her exercises and it made a huge difference

Wife1

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 10:05 am
Why don't you just get your baby evaluated?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 10:11 am
JUst thinking out loud... When I lay on my stomach, I can only lay my head to one side because the other side hurts. I probably had/have torticolis

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 10:12 am
Wife1 wrote:
Why don't you just get your baby evaluated?

By whom? I didnt till now bcz the doctor said he doesnt have

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 10:18 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
By whom? I didnt till now bcz the doctor said he doesnt have

A physical therapist through EI.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 10:25 am
In addition to torticollis, this is also possibly a sign of amblyopia or lazy eye. A child can position their head in one direction so that they primarily use their stronger eye. I was that child!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 10:30 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
In addition to torticollis, this is also possibly a sign of amblyopia or lazy eye. A child can position their head in one direction so that they primarily use their stronger eye. I was that child!

But im not noticing one eye "walking away". Can it still be lazy eye?

whewpy

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 10:39 am
It can be lazy eye even if ur not noticing. Best would be to make appt with physical therapist for eval

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 10:52 am
It can be torticollis, which can present as tightness and/or weakness. When it's mostly weakness it may even come and go. Additionally, head tilt can present due to a vision concern (although often not) so ruling vision out also is a good idea.
You can definitely schedule an eval through early intervention. Depending how your child's development is they will make the recommendation they feel is appropriate.
Good luck and enjoy your cutie! It's nothing to panic about!

anonymrs

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 9:02 pm
Did or does your baby have any feeding issues? Any reflux?

EI may not want to help you if it's a medical issue like torticollis. You might have to get a prescription from a dr and go to a PT yourself. I assume it varies by state, but that has been my experience.

2 of my kids had torticollis. Best of luck! Feel free to pm.

mom25

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 9:11 pm
Ds was born he had his his all the way to one side quiet a long time. I had him evaluated. They said they test turticollis by moving head opposite direction to see if it bothers baby. My baby was ok when they did it and said its probably my just position he was used to before being born. Hes 6 years old and bh no sign of it anymore without any treatment. Check it out to make sure but it doesnt have to be torticollis.

esther36

Post Sun, Nov 10 2019, 9:13 pm
My child had torticollis too and lots of therapy... U can pm me if u want more info

happyone

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 1:52 am
if therapist thinks its unresolved torticollis best you have a neuro surgeon run an xray or scan. sometimes PT is enough, sometimes bracing and other times it's a symtom of other things to look into.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics